This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos are about to be your new favorite thing!! They’re easy to make, quick to air fry and perfectly dip-able – we love salsa, guacamole and sour cream! Perfect cheesy chicken finger food and great as an appetizer, entree or snack!
About This Recipe
Friends, you KNOW my love for Mexican Food runs deep. This easy air fryer recipe for chicken taquitos with crispy tortillas and cheesy chicken filling is no exception! The best part is, they take just 20 minutes start to finish! Another plus- they are much lower in fat and calories than traditional taquitos since we’ll be using the air fryer!
My Basic Shredded Chicken works great for these crispy Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos! Or if you are short on time, using rotisserie or canned chicken works great! It’s a such great way to use up leftover chicken too.
Another thing great about these homemade chicken taquitos is that they can be made ahead of time. Make a big batch, put in the fridge, and then throw them in the air fryer for a few minutes when you are ready to eat them! You can also just freeze them to have ready to pull out when you need a quick lunch, dinner, snack, or appetizer!
Also everyone can make these taquitos work, regardless of your needs. They are gluten-free as written and can easily be made dairy-free! Simply use dairy-free dairy-free cream cheese, dairy-free yogurt and dairy-free Mexican cheese. This recipe calls for shredded chicken, but you can use ground beef, shredded pork, or even make this dish vegetarian and use black beans or refried beans.
Why You’ll Love These Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Work great for an afternoon or after-school snack, an easy dinner, or even a party appetizer!
- Macro-balanced and high protein, leaving you feeling full and satisfied.
- Quick and easy weeknight meal – ready in just 20 minutes!
- Small list of ingredients. You might even have them all on hand right now!
- Family friendly! The whole family will absolutely love these!
- Made in the air fryer instead of the deep fryer, so healthier and lower in calories.
- Tortillas – corn tortillas, flour tortillas or any other tortilla of your choice work here!
- Cream cheese – I used light cream cheese. Regular cream cheese, fat free cream cheese, or dairy-free cream cheese all work!
- Yogurt – I used nonfat Greek yogurt. Use dairy-free yogurt if needed.
- Taco seasoning – You can make your own or store bought also works just fine here!
- Green onions – Adds a little bit of freshness and a slight crunch. You can omit if you don’t have any on hand
- Chicken – I used cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken. My basic shredded chicken recipe also works great here, or even canned chicken in a pinch!
- Cheese – I used shredded Mexican cheese. Cheddar cheese, colby jack cheese, dairy-free cheese or any other cheese of your choice also works!
- Cooking spray
- Salsa (for serving) – I love chunky salsa with these but pico de gallo, salsa verde or any salsa would be yummy!
To make gluten-free: use certified gluten-free corn tortillas or gluten-free tortillas of choice.
To make dairy-free: use dairy-free cream cheese, dairy-free yogurt and dairy-free shredded cheese.
How To Make
Store leftover taquitos in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Allow taquitos to cool to room temperature.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or plate if you don’t have one that will fit in your freezer).
- Place the taquitos on the baking sheet so they are not touching (so they don’t freeze sticking together).
- Then freeze for at least an hour.
- Once frozen, transfer to an airtight freezer-safe ziploc bag.
Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos stay fresh in the freezer for 3 months. If you make them without meat, like with refried beans or black beans, they will stay fresh for about 6 months.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Vegetable – Air Fryer Broccoli, Air Fryer Green Beans, Air Fryer Peppers and Onions or any favorite vegetable.
- Rice – Mexican rice, white rice, yellow rice, Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Corn – any fresh, frozen or canned corn. Or my Rainbow Corn Salad is yummy!
- Dip-ables – like guacamole, salsa, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), Easy Pico De Gall
What is a taquito?
A taquito is a Mexican dish that typically consists of a small rolled-up tortilla that contains filling, such as beef, cheese, or chicken. The filled tortillas are then typically crisp-fried or deep-fried.
Can you freeze these crispy chicken taquitos?
Yes, I highly recommend making extra and freezing, they are a great one to have stored in your freezer! To freeze taquitos, cool to room temperature first. Then place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (or plate) and place in your freezer to freeze for one hour. Make sure the taquitos are not touching so they don’t freeze together. Then transfer to a freezer-safe ziploc bag. Taquitos stay fresh in the freezer for 3 months.
Can you make these easy air fryer taquitos dairy-free?
Yes! To make these dairy-free, simply use dairy-free cream cheese, dairy-free yogurt and dairy-free shredded cheese.
Can I use different meat for these crispy air fryer chicken taquitos?
Absolutely! This recipe calls for shredded chicken, but you can use ground beef, shredded pork, or even make this dish vegetarian and use refried beans or black beans.
How to make these homemade taquitos in the oven?
Add rolled taquitos to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
How to reheat air fryer chicken taquitos?
Reheat refrigerated taquitos in the air fryer at 400F for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through. If frozen, reheat for 5-8 minutes in the air fryer or until center is warm. You can also reheat in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
More Mexican Inspired Recipes You’ll Love
- 10 corn or flour tortillas 6-inch
- 2- oz. lite cream cheese cheese (60g) softened
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (60g)
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cups cooked & shredded chicken breast (230g) rotisserie, canned, etc.
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (56g)
- Cooking spray
- Chunky salsa for serving
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, greek yogurt, taco seasoning and chopped onion. Fold in the chicken and shredded cheese. Add any salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Scoop 2-3 Tbsp of the chicken mixture onto one side of the tortilla and roll it up tight. Repeat for all the tortillas.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Once heated, spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the taquitos seam-side down with space in between them (so they crisp up all over). Spray cooking spray all over the top and air fry for 5 minutes. Then, flip the taquitos over, spray with cooking spray again and air fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with guacamole, sour cream (or greek yogurt), salsa, etc. and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.