This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
If you’re looking for a way to make taco night even easier, look no further! This high protein, super easy, creamy, tangy delicious chicken is INCREDIBLY easy to make and super versatile!
All you need is chicken, a jar of salsa and cream cheese. Dump everything in and let it cook until it’s dinner time. It’s that easy and the whole family will love it!
The best part of this recipe is how many great ways there are to use this creamy chicken! Use this chicken for tacos with a side of black beans and Mexican rice! Or serve it over tortilla chips with your favorite nacho toppings for an amazing appetizer or snack!
Throw it in a flour tortilla with a little extra melted cheese for the creamiest quesadilla! Or keep it low carb by throwing this chicken on top of your favorite taco salad! The possibilities are endless!
My favorite way to enjoy this slow cooker salsa chicken is with crunchy taco shells, fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream and taco sauce! Seriously, these classic tacos are so good and can be served as a main course or a crowd-pleasing appetizer!
And if you’re looking for more taco Tuesday inspiration, check out my favorite 20-minute Blackened Mahi Mahi Tacos!
Why You’ll Love These Creamy Chicken Tacos
- Creamy, flavorful and absolutely delicious! Perfect for meal prep or a busy weeknights!
- So many different ways to enjoy! The perfect chicken for tacos, burrito bowls, quesadillas, nachos and more!
- This crockpot salsa chicken serious couldn’t be easier! Prepped in just 5 minutes then let the crockpot do all the work!
- An easy meal that only required 3 simple ingredients that the entire family will love!
- A family favorite that’s packed with protein and super versatile!
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can also use chicken tenderloins or chicken thighs.
- Salsa – I love chunky salsa for this recipe so you can get some of that tomato and onion bite! But any type of salsa will work. Use hot salsa, mild salsa, any kind of salsa you prefer. Homemade or store bought!
- Cream cheese – I used reduced-fat but any type of cream cheese works (Greek, regular, fat-free, low-fat cream cheese etc).
Optional for serving:
- Crunchy taco shells
- Optional Toppings – shredded Mexican cheese, diced tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, taco sauce (I love Taco Bell mild).
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Spray a Crock-Pot with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the CrockPot and season with salt and pepper.
2. Then add the salsa and cream cheese.
3. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature has reached 165F).
4. Shred the chicken with two forks and then stir everything together. Add chicken to taco shells then top with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, cilantro and sour cream. You can also use the chicken for burritos, quesadillas, nachos, sandwiches, etc!
Use Mixer To Shred Chicken!
Pull the cooked chicken out and add to the bowl of stand mixer use the paddle attachment to quickly and easily shred chicken! You can also place chicken in large mixing bowl and use a hand mixer. Then add shredded chicken back to cheese and salsa mixture in the crockpot and mix together.
Does leftover salsa chicken freeze well?
Yes you can freeze this recipe! Let the chicken cool then place the shredded chicken in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
According to the USDA, it is best to use thawed meat in the slow cooker as frozen pieces can take longer to reach a safe internal temperature and can possibly result in food borne illnesses.
Can I cook this recipe in the instant pot instead of the crockpot?
Yes! To cook in the instant pot, add all of the ingredients except the cream cheese and cook for 12 minutes. Do a quick release, pull the chicken out and shred, add the cream cheese and simmer until the cheese is melted. Add the chicken back to the pot and serve!
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 (24-oz.) jar chunky salsa
- 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
Optional for Serving:
- Crunchy taco shells
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Taco sauce I love Taco Bell mild
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Spray a CrockPot with cooking spray. Place the chicken in the CrockPot and season with salt and pepper.
- Then add salsa and cream cheese.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature has reached 165F).
- Shred the chicken with two forks and then stir everything together.
- Add chicken to taco shells then top with shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, cilantro and sour cream.
- You can also use the chicken for burritos, quesadillas, nachos, sandwiches, etc!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.