This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Healthy Taco Salad with Ground Turkey will quickly become your new favorite go-to meal! It’s perfect to throw together on a busy weeknight or to meal prep for quick lunches throughout the week. Fresh, flavorful, energizing and filling, and with the most delicious salsa yogurt dressing!
About This Recipe
There are seriously so many good things to say about this recipe it’s hard to know where to start! First, it’s super flavorful and easily made in just 25 minutes. It uses my fan-favorite Mexican Ground Turkey and is packed with protein, fresh veggies, and has the best creamy, salsa dressing!
This healthy taco salad recipe has everything you love about traditional taco salads but without all the extra oils, fats or proceeded ingredients. It’s great because you can fully customize the ingredients or proportions to meet your dietary and nutritional preferences! The best part is this salad is packed with balanced ingredients so it won’t leave you hungry an hour later.
Plus, the creamy salsa dressing is OUT OF THIS WORLD! It’s combines fresh, chunky salsa with creamy, nonfat Greek yogurt for a creamy dressing that’s higher in protein and lower in fat than most bottled salad dressings.
My favorite thing to do is make a big batch of turkey taco meat in the beginning of the week and use it for salads, tacos, and quesadillas all week! This salad can be made for meal prep or throw it together for a quick weeknight meal! Add any of your favorite taco toppings and enjoy the healthiest, easiest taco night any night of the week!
This delicious turkey taco salad is also a great option to prepare for a crowd! Just prepare all of the ingredients and allow everyone to prepare their own taco salad to their preference!
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Taco Salad
- A filling and nutritious, healthy meal! WAY healthier than restaurant versions!
- Easily control portions and customize with your favorite toppings based on your preferences and nutrition goals!
- Everyday is taco Tuesday with these healthy salads! Packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants!
- A great salad for prepping in advance or meal prep recipe. Can easily be enjoyed on-the-go the next day!
- Can be gluten-free and dairy-free with just a few simple swaps!
- Tortillas – I used fajita-size, low-carb tortillas
- Romaine lettuce – you can also use spring mix, kale, spinach, or your favorite lettuce!
- Mexican Ground Turkey
- Corn – I used Del Monte Mexican style corn but regular works great! Fresh, canned, frozen, etc.
- Black beans
- Cherry tomatoes – or regular tomato
- Mexican cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Greek yogurt – I used plain nonfat Greek yogurt. Sour cream will also work!
To make gluten-free: use gluten-free tortillas or corn tortillas
To make dairy-free: use dairy-free shredded cheese and Greek yogurt
Ways To Switch It Up:
- Use ground beef! Switch out the ground turkey for ground beef or ground chicken! Really any protein or meat topping works great!
- Add more veggies! You can also add bell pepper, pickled red onion, cucumbers, green onions or any of your favorite veggies for more volume!
- Cotija cheese! For some authentic Mexican flavor, switch the shredded Mexican cheese for Cotija cheese!
- Avocado! For more healthy fat, add some extra creamy avocado!
How To Make
If you want to prepare this ground turkey taco salad in advance, assemble salad as instructed except for the tortilla strips and salsa dressing. Store healthy taco salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Keep tortilla strips in an airtight container or bag at room temperature. Store salad dressing in a separate container in the fridge and add right before eating. These little 2oz containers are perfect for storing dressing (separately) from the salad in meal prep containers.
- Tortilla Strip Time Saving Tip! An easy way to save a little extra time, sprinkle a few store-bought crunchy tortilla chips on top of your salad instead of the homemade tortillas strips
Can I make this turkey taco salad recipe low carb?
If you want to make this a low carb taco salad or follow the keto diet, you can reduce or omit the corn or black beans. I would recommend adding additional cheese or avocado!
What kind of salsa should I use for the dressing?
Any style of salsa works for this recipe! I used a thick and chunky style salsa. If you want a thinner dressing, you can use a restaurant-style or picante salsa.
Do you serve this healthy taco salad hot or cold?
Either way! This easy meal can be enjoyed hot or cold, and honestly both are delicious! If you’re preparing this salad for meal prep or on-the-go, it is great served chilled. However, if you prefer, you can warm your taco meat before serving. To reheat, place ground turkey in the microwave or stove until warmed through.
For all the Taco Salads:
- 2 fajita-size tortillas I used low-carb, use GF if needed
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 batch Mexican Ground Turkey
- 1 (11-oz.) can Mexican corn drained
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved – or regular tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese (56g)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
Salsa Yogurt Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (120g)
- 1/2 cup salsa (120g)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips.
- Spray both sides generously with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 7-8 minutes, flipping halfway, then remove from the oven.
Salsa Yogurt Dressing:
- Meanwhile, prepare the salsa yogurt dressing by whisking together the yogurt and salsa in a bowl.
Assemble Taco Salad!
- To serve, add 1/4 of all the ingredients to a bowl (add everything but the tortilla strips) then add 1/4 cup of the salsa yogurt dressing.
- For each salad (makes 4): 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup Mexican Ground Turkey (85g), 1/3 cup corn (85g), 1/4 cup black beans (60g), 1/4 cup tomatoes, 2 Tbsp shredded cheese (14g), 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup Salsa Yogurt Dressing (60g)
- Toss to combine. Then top with tortilla strips and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.