This Crock Pot shredded chicken makes meal prep a breeze! It is sweet and tangy, juicy, and packed full of flavor. Easy to prep in bulk so you can have protein ready to eat all week long. Use it for sandwiches, enchiladas, tacos or just eat it straight up – the possibilities are endless!
Does it even get easier than making chicken in a Crock Pot? Chicken that is still delicious, tender, and juicy that is? I think not! Crock Pot to the win again for this recipe. It has become a staple in our house and always a go-to when I am frazzled and unsure of what to make. Or if I need something super easy!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Chicken breasts
- Salsa Verde – I used Herdez in the jar
- Liquid smoke – this gives the chicken an INSANE smokey flavor. You can find this stuff next to the BBQ sauces at most grocery stores
- Garlic Powder
- Cinnamon – sounds weird, but trust me here. The cinnamon pairs with the honey + salsa verde + liquid smoke so amazingly. Definitely brings out the honey flavor in this chicken more!
- Fresh cilantro – optional, but recommended! Adds an amazing FRESH taste to the chicken
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CROCK POT SALSA VERDE CHICKEN
- EASY, hands off recipe – just throw ingredients in Crock Pot and let cook
- TENDER, JUICY, FALL APART SHREDDED CHICKEN. That is what you get when you cook chicken right! (with liquid, seasonings and in a closed environment). It just falls apart!
- Jam packed with FLAVOR – seriously just the perfect amount of everything going on here. Salsa verde and cilantro make it taste fresh, the honey and cinnamon bring an amazing sweet touch, and the liquid smoke adds a heavenly, smokey aspect to the chicken and truly brings it all together!
- It’s healthy and macro-friendly. Chicken with a few additions means PROTEIN PACKED.
- It is so versatile and can be used for so much! REALLY. Enchiladas, tacos, burritos, crunch wraps, sandwiches, pizza, eating straight up – anything you would have chicken with, you can have this!
- You can eat off of it all week!! This is probably the best part. Who wants to cook every night, amirite?
WHY PREP PROTEIN IN BULK?
For many people, protein is the hardest macronutrient to get in. If you have just started tracking macros, don’t worry, it does get easier! But having some protein prepped and ready that you can use all week long makes meals and staying on track with your goals SO much easier! You don’t have to worry about what you are going to eat for dinner each night of the week. And you don’t have to slave in the kitchen every night of the week! Just take 5 minutes to throw the ingredients in the Crock Pot and you have delicious shredded chicken you can eat all week!
CAN I DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THIS RECIPE?
Yes! This Crock Pot chicken can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many meals you want to make out of it and how many mouths you need to feed!
HOW TO FREEZE SALSA VERDE CHICKEN
- Prepare Salsa Verde Chicken according to directions.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add chicken to a freezer size plastic bag OR portion into smaller size sandwich bags.
- Press bag flat, squeeze out excess air to prevent freezer burn.
- Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
WHAT TO EAT WITH
Have I mentioned you can’t go wrong with this chicken? So versatile and works amazing for so many meal ideas and recipes! Here are some yummy ideas:
- Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Stack – a favorite in our house!
- Chicken Burrito Bowl by Cafe Delites
- Chicken Divan by A Pinch of Healthy
- Mexican Casserole by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
- Easy Chicken Taquitos by Tastes Better From Scratch
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this crock pot salsa verde chicken and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
I just made it again and love it. Question regarding macros. Do you put the liquid back into it and calculate the macros or are they just for the cooked chicken?. I always doubt myself in how to do it correctly. Thank you!
Love that you’re enjoying it Marian! It’s such a good bulk protein recipe! I add the chicken back to the liquid so it stays juicy, so macros are with the liquid included!
Thank you!! Glad I tracked it correctly then. So yummy and versatile! Love it 💜