Delicious and healthy chicken curry made easy by using a few staple ingredients in the slow cooker! Greek yogurt is used instead of coconut milk to keep this dish creamy without adding a whole lot of fat. Flavorful, creamy, warm, and with just the right amount of spices – this curry dish is sure to spice up your night!
I was craving some chicken curry the other night and it got me thinking that I have yet to attempt any type of Indian dish before. I told Simon recently that I wanted to expand my cooking skills beyond the same typical dishes I normally do – to experiment with different flavors, different types of cuisines… so as soon as that craving hit, I knew what I had to do – I had to give the curry a go!
I knew I wanted to use chicken (of course), as well as carrots and onions. Since carrots take longer to cook and I prefer my chicken to be made in the slow cooker anyway, I went that route. And I am so glad I did! I definitely think this dish can be made on the stovetop, but the tenderness of the chicken and carrots from the slow cooker is one of my favorite parts of this recipe. That, and that fact that its hands off and you don’t have to think about it once you throw everything in!
Simon and I both really enjoyed this dish! It was fun and felt good to switch things up from our typical meals. This would be a great recipe to meal prep as well. We actually looked forward to these leftovers. 😂
What You Need
- Chicken breasts
- Curry, turmeric and onion powder
- Greek yogurt
- Cornstarch – this is used to thicken the curry sauce
- Chicken: Chicken is the classic protein of choice, yes. But it is important to note that you can also use chicken thighs (or a combo of breasts and thighs), pork, or even turkey as well
- Vegetables: Carrots and onions are the classic vegetables used in curry, but feel free to sub with other vegetables of your choice! I bet cauliflower florets, broccoli, sweet and russet potatoes would all be yummy!
- Corn starch: This is used to thicken the curry sauce. If you need to replace, you could use all-purpose wheat flour or rice flour (estimate 2 tablespoons of flour for every 1 tablespoon of cornstarch) or potato starch (estimate 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons potato starch for every 1 tablespoon cornstarch).
Why You’ll Love This Curry
- It is a different type of cuisine and its fun to switch things up!
- So. Much. Flavor.
- Creamy curry sauce while keeping this dish super low in fat – only 1g per serving
- High protein and packed with fiber from the vegetables
- Easy to make – hardest part is cutting the vegetables, then just add everything to the slow cooker and let the magic happen!
What to Eat With
- Rice – the classic choice! My favorite is Basmati rice
- Cauliflower rice – a delicious lower-carb option
- With bread or Naan – YUM!
- Over or with any vegetable – sweet potato, russet potato, roasted peppers, spaghetti squash. While some are more “off the wall” than others, you can’t go wrong, this curry will go well with everything!