Everything you love about your favorite enchiladas but lightened up and made easy with this fun stack variation! Sweet, juicy chicken paired with creamy green chili sauce, tortillas, and cheese – this is a dinner the whole family will love!
I could spend all day hyping this enchilada stack up. Truly one of my favorite recipes to date and Simon agrees! Everything about it is amazing and I can’t think of a single thing I would change. Soft layered tortillas layered with shredded salsa verde chicken and homemade creamy green chili sauce. All topped with a generous serving of shredded Mexican cheese! It is melt-in-your-mouth, drool-worthy, all the best adjectives I would use to describe delicious food and more! And even though it has purposely been lightened up, IT TASTES LIKE THE REAL DEAL!
I used the Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken to make these and I highly recommend using the same if you decide to make! You don’t need to, any shredded chicken will do, but the salsa verde chicken is just flavored so perfectly. It’s tender and juicy, sweet, with just the right amount of spice. It is the perfect addition to this Creamy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Stack!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS GREEN CHILI ENCHILADA STACK
- Easier to make than standard enchiladas
- One serving size is HUGE
- There is so many different flavors and textures going on here and the taste is out of this world!
- The WHOLE family will love this one! Guaranteed.
- Customizable depending on what you have on hand, preferences and dietary needs
- Have I mentioned it’s incredible? IT’S SO YUMMY Y’ALL.
FOR THE ENCHILADA FILLING:
- Taco seasoning
- Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
FOR THE CREAMY GREEN CHILI SAUCE:
- Butter – I used I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light
- Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Salsa verde – I used Herdez in the jar
- Cream cheese
- Diced green chilis (in the can)
FOR THE ENCHILADA STACK:
- Tortillas – I used flour, but you can use corn if you prefer!
- Shredded Mexican cheese
HOW TO MAKE GREEN CHILI ENCHILADA STACK
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and add zucchini and onions. Season with taco seasoning and salt and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and slightly browned.
- Remove from heat and add vegetables to a mixing bowl. Add the chicken and toss to combine. Rinse pan (or grab a new one) and make sure it has cooled, then set to the lowest heat.
- Add all the ingredients for the creamy green chili sauce. Stir constantly until cream cheese has melted. Then remove from heat.
- Spray a 13×9 inch dish with cooking spray. Layer 3 tortillas on the bottom of the dish (2 normal and then one cut in half as pictured).
- Add 1/2 of enchilada filling, then layer with 3 more tortillas, the other 1/2 of the enchilada filling, and finally the 3 remaining tortillas. Add the creamy green chili sauce.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
CAN I MAKE SUBSTITUTIONS?
There are many subs that can be made in this recipe depending on what you have on hand, what your goals are and what you are in the mood for!
Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken – highly recommend using the salsa verde chicken because it adds SO MUCH FLAVOR. But if you don’t have any on hand and want to make this recipe, you can use any type of shredded chicken or even ground beef! I would just maybe add more seasonings to the enchilada filling since the salsa verde brings a lot of flavor to this dish.
Flour tortillas – there are so many tortilla variations! Use your favorite here. I used Mission Carb Balance for these.
Zucchini + onion filling – these are two of my favorite vegetables so that is what I chose to add in this dish! They are diced and you really don’t even notice they are there but they add volume. You can easily sub with peppers, mushrooms, or whatever other veggie sounds good. You can also just omit entirely.
Fat free cream cheese – don’t have fat free cream cheese? Reduced fat or whipped cream cheese will do!
Mexican cheese – Mexican cheese seemed fitting for this recipe but you can use whatever cheese sounds good!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE ANY SALSA VERDE CHICKEN MADE?
If you don’t have any Crock Pot Salsa Verde made, no worries! I think it tastes best with this chicken because of the flavor it brings, but you can still make your own shredded chicken quickly and use it for this recipe! Please note, that since the Crock Pot version does have more flavor, you may need to add some additional seasonings or sauce to the enchilada filling to compensate.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN SHREDDED CHICKEN:
What you you need: approximately 1 ½ pounds of chicken or 2-3 chicken breasts depending on their size.
If you need to skip the Crock Pot route, I would recommend first following the same recipe in a Instant Pot if you have one. If not, and have time, I would recommend boiling the chicken with salt + pepper, letting cool and then shredding.
If you don’t have time to boil the chicken and need to make shredded chicken ASAP:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. You can also use cooking spray.
- Add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown on one side.
- Flip chicken and add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, then flip chicken over and continue to cook 5-10 minutes (thighs will take less time) or until chicken is cooked though and tender enough to shred. Add additional chicken broth or water if the liquid absorbs before the chicken is cooked through.
- Cooking time will vary depending on thickness of chicken and actual temperature. If your chicken does not shred easily, then continue to cook, adding additional broth/water if needed.
- Remove chicken from skillet and let rest 5 minutes before shredding.
WHAT TO EAT WITH
This enchilada stack is totally yummy on its own! But if you want to have add some sides to make it a complete meal, here are some great pairing suggestions:
- With green beans, broccoli, peppers, or any other veggie you can think of
- With corn (highly recommend!)
- With rice or cauliflower rice for a lower carb option
- With your favorite side salad
- With toasted chips and salsa. True Mexican style!
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this creamy green chili chicken enchilada stack and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Loving your recipes
Thank you Kelli! That makes me so happy to hear! 🙂
Would you suggest freezing this before or after baking? I will want to reheat in a microwave. Love the recipes!
I would say prepare (but not bake), freeze, defrost in the fridge the night before (if possible) and then bake! Thanks Nadine! I love them too!!
What brand tortillas do you use?
I used Mission carb balance!
This was soooooooo good! My husband had no idea it was healthy!