This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
Anyone struggle to get their veggies in? I know I do. I mean why can’t veggies be as enticing as dessert? Or carbs? Lol.
I’ve come to realize that if I don’t prioritize prepping vegetables then I just won’t eat them. Which is why I’ve started making it a point to prep some form of vegetable each week to have ready so all I have to do is throw it with whatever I am eating. Which makes it so stinking easy!
I love my air fryer for that. Not only because it cooks things quickly (I mean that’s amazing in itself). But it gives such a nice char texture which I LOVE.
These peppers and onions end up tasting like grilled peppers and onions. They’re tender, but not mushy, and perfectly charred on the outside. Which is why I think they pair amazingly with so much!
I originally whipped them up for something easy to throw with my Salsa Verde Chicken Bowls. But now my brain won’t stop spinning with all the ways we can enjoy these! With fajitas, on top a salad, with steak, with eggs… the list goes on.
Why You’ll Love These Air Fryer Peppers and Onions
- Cooks in 15 minutes – 5 minutes of prep & ready in 20 minutes total!
- Air fryer recipe – No oven required!
- Easy side dish that’s naturally low carb, low calorie, vegan and gluten-free
- Change up the flavor with seasonings so you never get bored
- Pairs with so much! Add to bowls, salads, fajitas, etc!
- Bell peppers – I used one green pepper and one yellow pepper. Any color bell pepper will work here. You could also use mini sweet bell peppers or poblano peppers.
- Onion – I used a red onion, but again, any type of onion works here. White, yellow, or red. Shallots work too.
- Olive oil – I like using extra light olive oil when I’m cooking at higher temperatures. It has a higher smoke point (at 468F) than extra virgin olive oil (at 375F). Which basically just means the temperature that the oil burns or “smokes” at. You can use extra virgin olive oil if it’s all you have on hand, but I would consider lowering the temperature to 375F to stay on the safe side, otherwise it’s just easier for your veggies to burn! If you have avocado oil, that’s even better because it has a very high smoke point of 570F.
- Seasonings – Grab some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Salt, pepper and garlic powder is the basic version that goes with everything, but there are so many ways you can switch these up! Especially depending on what you want to eat them with.
- Ranch seasoning mix – one of the best flavor makers!
- Italian seasoning – for fresh, bold, herby flavor
- Taco seasoning – great for if you’re serving with fajitas
- Curry – deliciously spiced!
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Add the pepper and onion slices to a large bowl and add the oil, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Toss until well combined.
2. Spray the air fryer basket and place the peppers and onions inside in a single layer. Air fry for 15-17 minutes, tossing half way through, to ensure they cook evenly.
Store leftover air fryer bell peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Can you make these peppers and onions without an air fryer?
You absolutely can! Simply prep the veggies as directed, then spread them in an even layer on a lined baking sheet and cook at 425ºF for 12-15 minutes, or until roasted to liking.
How do I reheat these air fryer peppers and onions?
They reheat just perfect in the microwave! But if you wish to elevate that charred taste more, you can throw them back in the air fryer at 400F for about 5 minutes.
What to serve with this onion and peppers recipe?
Build them into a bowl, like these Salsa Verde Chicken Bowls. Use them to make fajitas. Or top your salad. Serve along your eggs and some hashbrowns. They pretty much go with everything!
- 2 medium bell peppers (315g) I used one green and one yellow
- 1 medium red onion (175g)
- 1.5 Tbsp olive oil (22g)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Cut peppers and onions into 1/2-inch slices.
- Add the pepper and onions to a large bowl with the oil, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spray the air fryer basket and place the peppers and onions inside. Air fry for 15-17 minutes, tossing half way through, to ensure they cook evenly.
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.