Carnitas Burrito Bowls are made with lean, tender, juicy pork carnitas roasted to perfection, and fresh, citrusy cilantro lime cauliflower rice! Topped with tangy pickled red onions and seasoned fajita peppers, this bowl will fill you up and leave your taste buds dancing! The best part? You can prep all of these ingredients in advance and throw them together when you’re ready to eat!
Some of the best meals are ones you can throw together on a busy day with what you have prepped in the fridge and still love! Isn’t that what meal prep is for? 😉
That’s exactly what these Carnitas Burrito Bowls are! A combination of a few of my favorite and versatile meal prep staples that you can easily modify the amount of, and customize the toppings to your macronutrient needs and likings.
These bowls are made with tender, juicy pork carnitas roasted to perfection, and fresh and citrusy cilantro lime cauliflower rice, all topped with tangy pickled red onions and seasoned fajita peppers. YUM! And the best part? You can prep all of these ingredients in ADVANCE and throw them together for a heavenly meal in no time when you’re ready to eat!
You can top these bowls however you see fit. Cheese, guacamole, and pico de gallo are just a few of many delicious toppings that will make for an amazing lunch or dinner! You can also serve over lettuce to get in some more greens. Keep reading for more ways to customize!
WHY’LL YOU’LL LOVE THESE CARNITAS BURRITO BOWLS
- Easy to assemble. Prep all ingredients in advance and add to a bowl when ready to eat!
- So many flavor profiles! From the tender pork to the fresh and citrusy cilantro lime rice and tangy pickled onions, your taste buds will be dancing with each bite.
- A low carb, low calorie, and protein-packed meal.
- They’re super customizable! It’s easy to change up the ingredients based off your cravings or to fit your macro goals.
- Seriously delicious. This one needs it’s own bullet point. I am telling y’all, so good.
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice – Low carb and super fresh! You can also use rice here.
- The BEST Pork Tenderloin Carnitas – Incredibly juicy, tender, and crispy protein!
- Easy Pickled Onions – Seriously. These make everything taste better! Buy store-bought or make your own.
- Bell peppers
- Romaine lettuce
- Cooking essentials – Olive oil, taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
HOW TO MAKE THESE CARNITAS BURRITO BOWLS
Prep these ingredients in advance so all you have to do is assemble and eat when you are ready!
- Prep the pickled onions first. Unless you already have some in the fridge, these will take the longest. You can use normal red onions in your bowls too, but the pickled onions just elevate this meal to another level!
- Prep the Pork Tenderloin Carnitas in the crockpot.
- Prep the Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice right before you assemble or in advance.
- Sauté bell peppers by adding to a pan with olive oil and taco seasoning. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until tender.
When you are ready to eat, add cilantro lime cauliflower rice, carnitas, peppers, and pickled red onions to a bowl. Top with whatever else sounds yummy!
WHAT TOPPINGS TO ADD TO CARNITAS BOWL
- Cheese – Fresh cotija cheese is out of this world and would be a great addition to your Carnitas Bowls! Feta and goat cheese are also heavenly. Any cheese you love would go well, I can guarantee you of that.
- Avocado – Creamy avocado pairs so well with the flavors of this bowl.
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt – For a dollop of cool creaminess!
- More veggies – No need to stop with the peppers and onions. Feel free to load this burrito bowl up with shredded carrots, corn, tomatoes, and more! A lot of times I will double the greens to make it more like a salad and for more volume!
- Dressing – since when was adding dressing on top of something a bad idea!? Ranch, lime crema, heck even honey mustard would be out of this world!
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE THESE CARNITAS BURRITO BOWLS
Like mentioned, these Carnitas Burrito Bowls are SUPER customizable. Adjust the ingredient(s) and/or amount of each ingredient to build a bowl that is perfect for your preferences and dietary needs. You can adjust the carbohydrates, fats, and proteins (and ultimately the calories that way) and also adjust to make gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, etc!
CARNITAS BOWL BASE OPTIONS
As written, this recipe uses both a greens + grains base. I love the combination of the cauliflower rice (or rice!) with the voluminous, crunchy greens! But there are so many options here to switch the base up. Here are some ideas that come to mind:
Greens – I love crunchy romaine for this bowl but you could definitely do spinach, kale, arugula, or a salad mix blend!
Grains – any variation of rice (white, brown, basmati), couscous, quinoa
Vegetables – cauliflower rice, broccoli rice, chickpea rice
Greens + grains, grains + vegetables, or greens and vegetables – any combo of any of the above!
CARNITAS BOWL PROTEIN OPTIONS
This recipe is written with Pork Carnitas as the protein, but again, you can definitely use something else to make these if you run out or just prefer something else.
- Pork Carnitas
- Mexican Ground Turkey
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Greek Chicken Bites
- Basic Shredded Chicken
- Salsa Verde Shredded Chicken
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Meatless Crumbles (vegan/vegetarian option)
CARNITAS BOWL TOPPING OPTIONS
- Fire Roasted Corn
- Rainbow Corn Salad
- Pickled Onions
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Pico De Gallo
- Cilantro Lime Crema (Lightened Up!)
- Cheese – cojita, feta, goat, mexican, etc.
- Avocado or guacamole
- A dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt
CUSTOMIZE THE PROTEIN, CARBS, AND FATS
- Need more? Add more carnitas, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and cheese.
- Need less? Use less meat.
- Need more? Use white, brown, jasmine, or Mexican rice instead of cauliflower rice, add more cauliflower rice or peppers, or add a carb-based dressing. You can also add bread or chips to your meal! I love making homemade chips from Cut Da Carb or Joseph’s lavash bread to scoop the goodies in this bowl up!!
- Need less? Be light with the cauliflower rice or peppers.
- Need more? Add avocado, a fat-based dressing, or a higher fat cheese.
- Need less? This dish is already pretty low in fat, but if you need to cut down more, omit olive oil and just cook with cooking spray.
MORE BOWLS AND MEAL PREP PROTEIN
- GREEK CHICKEN BOWLS (FIT COOKIE CLUB EXCLUSIVE RECIPE)
- LOW CARB SALMON CAULIFLOWER POKE BOWL
- CHEESEBURGER SALAD WITH SKINNY SPECIAL SAUCE
- EASY SHEET PAN SHRIMP FAJITAS
- CROCK POT SALSA VERDE CHICKEN
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Pork Carnitas Bowl and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!