These seasoned Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges are perfectly crispy and have the best smoky flavor! They couldn’t be easier to come together and make a great side dish to just about anything!
I love me some air fryer recipes. Don’t get me wrong, some things are still best in the oven. But when I can use my air fryer for something instead of my oven, you can sure bet I will!
These air fryer potato wedges are the perfect example of that. They come together quickly and easily on a busy weeknight when you need a healthy side dish STAT. And even better- you just need a few simple ingredients!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato wedges are essentially like homemade sweet potato fries, they’re just cut into wedges. I’ve included some instructions for how to cut potatoes into wedges in this post (keep reading!) But if all else fails, just cut them into long sticks and make your own version of air fryer sweet potato fries. I promise you can’t go wrong!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE CRISPY SWEET POTATO WEDGES
- Perfectly seasoned, perfectly crispy sweet potato wedges!!
- Made in the air fryer in less time than the oven – just 20 minutes!
- All you need are some sweet potatoes + pantry staples.
- Healthy alternative to deep frying regular fries (and with just a fraction of the oil)
- Makes for the perfect snack and the perfect side dish
- Delicious side dish option that goes with just about anything! So many different ways to enjoy.
- A family favorite that you will repeat again and again!
INGREDIENTS FOR AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO WEDGES
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil – I used extra virgin olive oil. Avocado oil, canola or vegetable oil would also work here.
- Smoked paprika – or normal paprika works just fine.
- Salt and black pepper
For the amounts of each ingredient, head to the recipe card. Keep reading to the bottom of this post for more ways to season your air fryer sweet potato wedges in this post!
HOW TO MAKE
- Always start by washing your sweet potatoes well. Then dry potatoes well with a paper towel.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Cut sweet potatoes into small wedges. Cutting them roughly the same size ensures even cooking.
- Give the sweet potato wedges a good toss in a mixing bowl with olive oil.
- Mix together seasonings (paprika, cumin, salt and pepper) in a small bowl. Then sprinkle the mixture all over the sweet potatoes and toss well to combine.
- Place the potatoes in a single row in the bottom of your air fryer and cook for 20 minutes, tossing half way through, until crispy. Cook time will vary on air fryer model. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches, otherwise potatoes won’t have space to get crispy!
Let air fryer sweet potato wedges cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve up with ketchup, ranch dressing or your favorite dipping sauce!
HOW TO CUT POTATO INTO WEDGES
Cutting potato wedges is really quite simple once you do it one or two times! You’ll just need three things: your potatoes, a cutting board and sharp knife.
- Wash the potatoes. Wash the potatoes in cold water to scrub away any excess dirt.
- Cut away any potato growths/strings. Which aren’t pretty or desirable to eat since they can add an unwanted bitter flavor.
- Optional step: Microwave for easier cutting. If you don’t have super sharp knives, or just want to make slicing easier, you can microwave the potatoes first. Stab the potatoes a few times with your sharp knife then place on a plate and microwave for about a minute.
- Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise. Using a sharp chef’s knife, slice each potato lengthwise, forming two halves.
- Cut each half into wedges. Lay each half with the cut side pressed down against the cutting board. (This will keep them from rolling around). From here, you can slice each half into as many wedges as you like. You can make thick wedges or cut the halves in halves to make smaller pieces.
Or if you rather, you can just cut them to make sweet potato slices or cut them extra thin to make homemade french fries!
HOW TO STORE AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO WEDGES
Once cooled to room temperature, store sweet potatoes in an airtight container. Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
HOW TO REHEAT AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO WEDGES
Reheat your leftover sweet potato wedges in the air fryer at 350 degrees for about 5-6 minutes.
TIPS FOR THE MOST CRISPY POTATOES
For best results for the MOST crispy sweet potato fries, make sure to follow these tips!
- Ensure the potatoes are dry before adding oil. Dry the potatoes well with a paper towel or dish towel. The more dry, the easier the oil with coat the potatoes without sliding off, resulting in the most crisp potatoes.
- Use oil. Some oil is needed for the potatoes to get a little crisp (and a little goes a long way!) We didn’t use much oil here, just a tablespoon for this recipe and it’s still very low fat (3.5g). You could easily double the amount of oil to 2 tablespoons to make them more crispy. If you needed, you could probably use less oil and get by with 1/2 tablespoon.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in your air fryer basket so that the hot air can have room to circulate in the air fryer. The most common reason for potatoes not crisping up enough is because they are overlapping each other. If you have a small air fryer, you may need to do two batches. Trust me, doing a first batch and second batch if you have a small air fryer will result in the best potatoes.
MORE WAYS TO SEASON YOUR AIR FRYER SWEET POTATOES
I love switching these air fryer sweet potato wedges up by adding in additional seasoning sometimes. Feel free to switch it up or use your own favorite seasoning blend!
- Garlic powder– about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Onion powder – about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (balances the spices quite nicely)
- Cayenne pepper – about 1/8 tsp (gives it a little kick!) – just a little! Not too much I promise.
- Cajun seasoning – also gives it a little kick, but less intense than the cayenne!
- Cilantro – sprinkle with fresh cilantro before serving for more fresh flavor!
SWEET POTATO WEDGES FAQS
Sweet potatoes stored in an airtight container in the fridge will stay fresh for a week.
Reheat your sweet potato wedges in the air fryer at 350 degrees for about 5-6 minutes.
Of course! Russet potatoes or white potatoes also work great for this recipe.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO WEDGES
- The BEST Air Fryer Grilled Chicken Nuggets (Pickle-Brined)
- Healthy Salmon Burgers (Easy + Ready in 20 Minutes!)
- Easy Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet (30 Minute, Low Carb)
- Meal Prep Balsamic Chicken
- Panko Baked Chicken Nuggets (Healthier + Freezer Friendly!)
MORE SIDE DISHES YOU’LL LOVE
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges and love them, please give this recipe a star rating!
You can also tag me on Instagram or TikTok, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!