This Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet is an easy one pan meal that’s packed with delicious flavors from tender chicken, sautéed onions and peppers and perfectly melty white cheddar cheese. Enjoy this healthier version of the popular Philadelphia street food stuffed in a hoagie roll, wrap, or paired with some veggies or rice. There’s a way for everyone to enjoy it!
We can never have enough one skillet meals! I love how everything comes together in one place, they’re great for weeknights when you need something quick, and make for an easy clean up. It’s so amazing to me the amazing meals you can create in just one pan, and this Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet is no exception!
You don’t need to live in Philadelphia to enjoy a delicious cheesesteak. Sure, the city is known for them, but you can recreate the flavors so easily right in your own kitchen. Which is what I did! I added some juicy chicken to a pan and paired it with sautéed peppers and onions and a topping of melty white cheddar cheese. And let me tell you—it came out incredibly!
This Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet is also a healthier alternative to a traditional cheesesteak. I cooked the chicken and veggies in with olive oil (but more importantly, less oil) because most cheesesteak places use a lot and that fat adds ups quick. You can get just as a tasty cheesesteak at home with so much less and this recipe is the perfect example!
You can add your finished skillet to the inside of a hoagie roll, but there’s so many other ways to enjoy it as well! Serve it by itself, over mixed greens, with a side of fries, stuffed in a wrap like a fajita, with rice/cauliflower rice…no matter how you spin in, everyone in the family can pick and enjoy how they want to eat it!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CHICKEN CHEESESTEAK SKILLET
- There’s tons of different ways to eat it!
- Naturally low in carbs & easy to tweak based on how you serve.
- Takes just 30 minutes from start to finish!
- Only one skillet required and an easy clean up!
- Great weeknight dinner option that the whole family will love!
- Olive oil
- Chicken – I recommend using small pieces of chicken. Ground chicken is great, but you can also slice breasts or tenders into smaller pieces.
- Bell peppers – I used a red, orange, and yellow pepper.
- Garlic – Dice up some cloves or use minced garlic.
- Ranch seasoning mix – I keep Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning stocked because I love the flavor it brings to dishes! If you wish to use something else, see dairy-free sub in the FAQ’s.
- White cheddar cheese – Or other cheese or your choice.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN CHEESESTEAK SKILLET
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add 3/4 tbsp (11g) of olive oil. Set to medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Then, transfer the chicken to a plate and wipe the skillet down if needed.
- Reduce heat to medium. Spray the skillet with cooking spray and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, garlic, ranch seasoning mix, salt, and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until tender, adjusting heat as needed so they don’t burn.
- Next, stir the cooked chicken back into the skillet. Taste test and add more salt, pepper, or seasoning as needed.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle skillet with shredded cheese and cover until the cheese has melted.
- Serve by itself, with cauliflower rice, or a salad for a low carb meal. Serve with with rice, potatoes, fries, or in a traditional cheesesteak hoagie for a macro balanced meal!
WHAT TO EAT WITH YOUR CHICKEN CHEESESTEAK SKILLET
- Serve with French fries and side salad. This is my favorite way! Make homemade roasted potatoes or save time and pick up a frozen kind. I love Alexia Straight Cut Fries.
- Stuff it in a wrap like fajitas. This is Simon’s favorite way.
- Put it in a hoagie roll like the classic cheesesteak way!
- Overtop a bed of mixed greens for a low carb meal.
- With some vegetables, like Air Fryer Green Beans or a simple Caesar Salad.
- With rice or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. You can freeze it as well, but I would do so before adding the cheese. Then, when it’s thawed and you’re reheating, add it. Dairy tends to freeze poorly.
Absolutely! It holds up great in the fridge and there are so many ways to serve it all week long. You’ll never get bored!
Yes. Substitute the ranch seasoning mix for 2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. You can also substitute the cheese for dairy-free alternative or omit it completely.
100%! It’s so tasty that even little kids will love it. Plus, it helps that you can serve it so many ways. If someone doesn’t like rice or salad, serve it to them in a hoagie roll or wrapped in a tortilla. It’s also delicious by itself!
It sure is!! No subs needed. It is gluten-free as written🙌🏼
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- CHEESEBURGER SALAD WITH SKINNY SPECIAL SAUCE
- JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN DIP WITH BACON AND PRETZEL NUGGETS
- MEXICAN CAULIFLOWER RICE DIP (EASY AND HEALTHY!)
- THE MOST DELICIOUS HEALTHY TURKEY RICOTTA MEATBALLS
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Chicken Cheesesteak Skillet and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Soooooo YUMMY!!! Definitely making this again and again!