This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
You know the one type of meal you’re always in the mood for? The kind that could fix almost any bad day? For me, it’s Italian. Pizza, pasta, garlic bread, calamari—all of it tastes so dang amazing.
All I have to do is get a whiff and I start to drool. How lucky for me is it that it’s so easy to recreate Italian meals at home?!
So, I whipped up this One Pan Caprese Chicken, and let me tell ya. It’s fresh. It’s flavorful. It makes my kitchen smell incredibly delicious. And I did it with just one pan! This is an easy, fancy dinner to make that will impress all of your guests, and even yourself!
This One Pan Caprese Chicken is BURSTING at the seams with fresh Italian flavors. Warm, melty mozzarella slices, soft, smokey tomatoes, fresh basil, juicy, tender chicken all topped with a beautiful and shiny balsamic glaze…you might not even believe this came out of your oven!
You can even make this recipe in advance and store it in the refrigerator as part of your meal prep line-up.
Why You’ll Love This Caprese Chicken
- Only one pan required means easy cooking and easy clean up!
- Super simple to make!
- It looks so fancy! A great option for date night.
- You’ll probably have all the ingredients you need already in your pantry or fridge.
- High in protein and low in fat and carbs. You can pair it with whatever you want to easily hit your nutrition goals.
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. Could also use tenderloins if you prefer!
- Olive oil – A great source of healthy fat! This also helps us get the classic Italian flavor we’re going for.
- Balsamic vinegar – Adds a subtle smokey flavor and looks beautiful drizzled on top of this meal.
- Lemon juice – The acidity helps balance our flavors.
- Garlic cloves – fresh or frozen
- Tomatoes – cherry or grape tomatoes work great.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – I highly recommend using fresh mozzarella for this recipe.
- Fresh Basil
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and ½ tablespoon olive oil. Then add the chicken, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
2. Warm ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly or has reached an internal temp of 165°F. Remove chicken, place on a plate, and cover with foil.
3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to sauté pan. Then, add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sauté until skin starts to soften and wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil.
4. Add chicken back in and top each chicken breast with 2 slices of freshly sliced mozzarella. Cover the pan with a lid and let the mozzarella melt, about 1-2 minutes. Drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar and garnish with fresh basil to serve.
What To Pair With Caprese Chicken
As I mentioned before, this One Pan Caprese Chicken is well balanced and easy to pair with whatever you need to meet your nutrition goals. Here are some yummy ideas to complete this meal:
- Serve with a side of buttered noodles or any other type of pasta for truly classic Italian plate.
- Try it with cooked spaghetti squash for all the pasta vibes without all the carbs.
- Slice up the chicken and serve overtop or along side a salad.
- Plop this chicken right on a sandwich! These cheesy chicken breasts and smokey tomatoes were made for a hoagie or a bun.
- Play with fun sides! You can’t go wrong with roasted veggies like broccoli or green beans, or roasted potatoes!
How do I store this recipe?
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. If you are making this recipe in advance for meal prep, you can choose to omit the mozzarella cheese when making and add fresh when reheating.
What should I serve with this recipe?
Can I use chicken tenderloins for this recipe?
Yes, you can sub the chicken breasts for tenderloins. Just note that this might reduce the amount of cooking time needed for the chicken. To ensure chicken is done, remove from heat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- 2 lb. chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese sliced – or mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil optional for garnish
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, and ½ tablespoon olive oil, then add the chicken, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm ½ tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (or has reached an internal temp of 165°F).
- Remove chicken and place on a plate and cover with foil. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to sauté pan. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and continue sautéing until tomatoes skin starts to soften/wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil and quickly place chicken back in pan. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of mozzarella.
- Cover pan with lid and let the mozzarella melt, about 1-2 minutes. Drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar and garnish with fresh basil to serve!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.