This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
This wrap is the best quick, 10-minute summer lunch when I want something tasty, high in protein and really easy to make! It’s made with simple ingredients and the whole family will love them.
These wraps are also great because they can be made in advance or whipped up in a moments notice when you might have stayed at the pool a little longer than expected.
Another great part about these wraps is there are easily customizable! Need to make gluten-free? Or dairy-free? Easy! Want to switch up your sauces? Go for it! I love switching it up with buffalo sauce, honey mustard or even a sweet and spicy BBQ sauce!
These easy barbecue chicken wraps are a great option for on the go since they pack 44 grams of protein!
But if I’m having these for a quick weeknight dinner I love serving them with my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, Healthy Macaroni Salad, Rainbow Fruit Salad or Air Fryer Green Beans! You can also pair these wraps with some simple fruit, like apples or grapes or some chips for a practically effortless lunch!
Why You’ll Love This BBQ Chicken Wrap
- A great lunch or quick easy dinner option!
- Packed with 44 grams of protein for a filling, healthy meal!
- Ready in just 10 minutes with minimal prep time and made with simple ingredients
- An easy recipe that is totally customizable! Add your favorite veggies or switch up your sauces.
- Can make gluten-free or dairy-free with just a few swaps!
- Flour tortilla – I used low carb but any wrap or tortilla wrap of choice. You can use regular flour tortillas, whole wheat (added fiber), spinach wraps or gluten-free (if needed!)
- Barbecue sauce – I used G Hugh’s sugar free (the hickory is my favorite!) but use any BBQ sauce of choice here!
- Cheese – I used thick shredded cheddar jack cheese which paired perfect with the BBQ sauce but any cheese works.
- BBQ chicken breast – I like using my Air Fryer/Grilled BBQ Chicken for this wrap but feel free to use any leftover grilled chicken you have one hand. Or even shredded rotisserie chicken works!
- Red onion – Love the crunch the onion brings and the red onion has the perfect bite! You can use another onion, omit or add a different crunchy veggie if you wish!
- Fresh spinach (optional) – or greens of choice
- Light mayo (optional) – Adding creamy mayo to this brings all the yummy flavors together – highly recommend adding!
- To make gluten-free: use gluten-free wrap of choice
- To make dairy-free: use dairy-free cheese (or omit)
- Switch up the wrap: besides using a regular flour tortilla, you could use a sun-dried tomato wrap, spinach wrap, cassava flour wrap or even a lettuce wrap!
- Switch up the cheese: cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack, etc! Also sliced cheese works better than shredded if you’re not heating the wrap and prepping ahead (less mess!)
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Add the BBQ sauce and mayo (if using) in a line down the middle of the tortilla.
2. Then add the shredded cheese, chopped BBQ chicken, chopped red onions and spinach.
3. Tuck sides in and roll up like a wrap.
4. Spray a skillet with cooking spray (or add a little olive oil) and set to medium-high heat. When hot, add the wrap seam side down and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Store wraps in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Just note that your spinach (or greens of choice) might get a bit soft so you can add those in right before serving or just eat within 1-2 days or preparing.
BBQ Chicken Wrap Tips!
- Use any chicken for this recipe! Any store-bought grilled chicken or leftover chicken works. You could even use rotisserie shredded chicken or canned chicken in a pinch.
- Warm tortillas in microwave before rolling. Warm tortillas are always easier to work with and are less likely to break! Place tortillas on a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Then microwave for about 30 seconds, or until warmed through.
- Meal prep in advance. You can also meal prep your wrap in advance and either enjoy cold or heat in skillet when ready to enjoy. Just note that your spinach (or greens of choice) might get a bit soft so you can add those in right before serving or just eat within 1-2 days or preparing.
Are these wraps good for meal prep?
Yes! You can make these wraps and freeze. Then let defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in skillet or air fryer. Or, place in the fridge for up to 3 days in advance. I do recommend waiting to add the spinach or greens of choice if prepping in advance. This way the greens don’t get soggy or soft after a couple of days. Store leftover wraps in an airtight container in the fridge or wrap tightly in plastic wrap before placing in the freezer.
Can I cook these wraps in the air fryer instead of a skillet?
Sure! You can assemble your wrap then place it in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes or until tortilla becomes crispy. You can also use a panini press if you have one or just enjoy this wrap cool (which works just as great!).
Do I have to use the Air Fryer BBQ Chicken for this recipe?
No, you can use any protein you prefer! This wrap recipe is great with any type of leftover grilled chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken you have on hand! You could also sub the BBQ chicken for this yummy Air Fryer Chicken Patty if you want a lightened up fried chicken wrap!
- 1 (8-inch) low carb flour tortilla or tortilla of choice, use gluten-free if needed
- 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce I used G Hugh’s sugar free
- 3 Tbsp thick cheddar jack shredded cheese or cheese of choice, use dairy-free if needed
- 1 Air Fryer BBQ chicken breast chopped, or any leftover grilled chicken you have, rotisserie also works!
- 2 Tbsp red onion thinly sliced or diced
- Handful of fresh spinach (optional) or greens of choice
- 1 Tbsp light mayo optional
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Add the BBQ sauce and mayo (if using) in a line down the middle of the tortilla.
- Then add the shredded cheese, chopped BBQ chicken, red onion and spinach. Tuck sides in and roll up like a wrap.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray (or add a little oil) and set to medium-high heat. When hot, add the wrap seam-side down and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.