If you love PF Chang’s, you’re going to love these copycat Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps! They’re packed with delicious flavor and so easy to make for meal prep, making them the perfect low carb lunch option.
I love me some PF Chang’s! 😋 But eating it all the time certainly isn’t healthy. That’s why I came up with these AMAZING copycat Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps that are low calorie and low carb. And let me tell you, they’re about to be your new favorite meal prep! Not only are they so incredibly easy to make, but they pack so much flavor thanks to some deliciously sweet hoisin sauce. You will be craving to eat them come lunch time!
Storing these wraps is so simple. You can pack the chicken and veggie mixture on top of lettuce leaves in a meal prep container. Or you can add the chicken veggie mixture to a separate container so you can heat it up in the microwave. (This is what I prefer.)
You’re going to love this great low carb, protein packed, and dairy free lunch option!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
- Super easy to make! Just cook the meat and mix the sauce.
- Delicious homemade take on a take-out favorite!
- Great balance of sweet & savory flavors!
- Low in calories and carbs, but easy to adjust to the macros you need!
- Great for meal prep!
- Ground chicken – You can also use ground beef or turkey.
- Sesame oil – A little goes a long way for great flavor.
- Water chestnuts – If you’ve never had these before, they taste kind of like an apple!
- Shiitake mushrooms – You’d be surprised how much flavor these veggies pack.
- Scallions – Great for garnish and a little extra flavor.
- Hoisin sauce – I love the umami flavor!
- Soy sauce – I used low-sodium soy sauce.
- Rice vinegar – Will give our sauce a yummy Asian twist.
- Ginger paste – So convenient for recipes that call for ginger.
- Shallot – More delicious flavor!
- Garlic cloves – Pairs so well with the other flavors in the sauce.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
- In a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients and whisk together.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp sesame oil and bring to medium-high heat. Then, add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking until the chicken is no longer pink, stirring and breaking into smaller pieces as you go.
- Stir in water chestnuts and mushrooms. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Pour in the sauce and stir until ingredients are evenly coated. Then, cover the skillet with a lid to cook for a few minutes and allow ingredients to absorb the sauce. Remove lid, taste and make any adjustments as needed. If you wish to have more sauce, you can add more hoisin sauce or double the original sauce recipe.
- When ready to serve, lay out lettuce leaves and spoon in the filling. Serve while the filling is still warm.
HOW TO EAT
Putting the filling in lettuce wraps is the classic way to eat this dish, but it’s not the only way! You may want to give some of these ideas a try:
- Add chicken mixture on top of a bed of greens and eat like a salad.
- Pair with rice for a delicious Asian meal! You can use cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
- This mixture would be TOO good stuffed inside an egg roll!
CAN YOU MEAL PREP THESE CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS?
Yes, these chicken lettuce wraps are perfect for meal prep! You can store them a few different ways for this:
- Add the chicken mixture on top of the lettuce leaves in an airtight container. This works well if you plan on eating it cold or in a few hours at room temperature.
- Store in separate containers so you can reheat without turning your lettuce soggy. Then, add on top of cold lettuce leaves. You could also pair with a salad mix and enjoy it as a salad.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these Healthy Chicken Lettuce Wraps and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!