This Air Fryer Chicken Patty is pure perfection! Golden and crispy on the outside, yet still tender and juicy on the inside. This recipe has quickly become a FAVORITE around here! It will quickly become your new favorite way to eat chicken too!
Crispy on the outside, and moist and juicy on the inside! That’s what makes these Air Fryer Chicken Patties such a crowd-pleaser!
And did I mention this recipe has been lightened up and is actually healthy? (Even though you would never know it!) Tastes just like a traditional fried chicken patty, but with WAY less fat and calories since we are using the air fryer instead of a deep fryer. So seriously a healthy meal that everyone can get excited about!
Have you heard of people using pickle brine as a chicken brine before? I discovered it when making these Air Fryer Pickle Chicken Nuggets and quickly became obsessed! Why? Because a pickle brine results in the most moist, delicious and tasty chicken! Similar to a lemon juice or apple cider vinegar brine, the acid in pickle juice acts as a brine to keep your chicken’s moisture locked inside. And the slight tanginess from the pickle juice itself brings some yummy pickle flavor to the chicken. It’s truly not overpowering, just a slight tang, and it’s perfect!
Plus, these crispy patties pair well with so much! Of course my favorite way to eat them is making them into classic chicken sandwiches with coleslaw, brioche buns and mayo, just like this Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich here. But you could also serve it bun-less with a salad and/or fries, in a lettuce wrap or chicken cheeseburger stye by adding some cheese on top.
Serve alongside some french fries or Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges. Or with some vegetables like Air Fryer Green Beans or Air Fryer Broccoli. Can’t go wrong with a classic side salad either!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS AIR FRYER CHICKEN PATTY
- Made in the air fryer – I mean you gotta love an air fryer recipe!
- Lightened up chicken patty! These homemade chicken patties are lower in fat and a great protein-packed, comfort food option!
- Way better than frozen. Homemade > frozen. 10000%. Definitely way better than Tyson chicken patties.
- CRISPY, TENDER, JUICY – tender juicy chicken coated in golden crispy perfection!
- LOVED by kids and adults alike! Truly, the whole family will love this chicken patty recipe!
- Ready in 30 minutes – a quick meal & easy dinner for weeknights!
- A comfort food staple to add to your recipe collection. Because juicy chicken patties are ALWAYS a good idea.
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Pickle Juice – we’ll use pickle juice to brine the chicken which helps lock in the moisture and keep it moist and delicious!
- Flour – I used all-purpose flour. You could also use almond flour, oat flour, whole wheat flour or gluten free flour. My favorite gluten-free flours are King Arthur’s and Bob’s Red Mill.
- Eggs – To help keep the breading on.
- Confectioner sugar – Sounds different, but the powdered sugar helps bring a very slight sweetness to the chicken. We’re using powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar because the powdered sugar blends with the flour better (so you don’t have any of that sugary “crunch.” I used Swerve but you can use any confectioners sugar for this!
- Seasonings – Grab some salt, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, and Trader Joe’s Pickle seasoning! This pickle seasoning is so yummy but if you don’t have it, Italian seasoning works too!
- Dijon mustard – The mustard also helps give these chicken patties some slight tang flavor, as well as lock the moisture in to keep the chicken nice and juicy.
- Panko breadcrumbs – We’ll use Panko to get these chicken patties nice and crispy! Make sure to use Panko (not just regular Italian breadcrumbs) and use gluten free if needed!
HOW TO MAKE
- Marinate the Chicken: Trim chicken and pound to an even thickness (about 1-inch thick), then cut in half down the middle (not butterflying but actually in half). I used 8-oz. chicken breasts that I cut into four 4-oz. pieces. Add chicken to a large bowl or ziploc bag with the pickle juice. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then discard the marinade and pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- OPTIONAL EXTRA CRISPY STEP: Add panko breadcrumbs to a large baking sheet. Spread out in an even layer and spray with cooking spray (from a distance). Bake for 3-4 minutes, then shake breadcrumbs around and bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Prepare the Breading Station: The best way to do this in with three shallow bowls. In one, mix together the flour, confectioners sugar and all the seasonings. In the next, whisk together the eggs and mustard. Finally in the last bowl, add the Panko.
- Bread the Chicken: First dip the chicken in the flour mixture. Coat all sides and shake any excess off. Then dip in the egg mixture, letting any excess drip down. Finally, dip the chicken completely in the Panko. Press down with your fingers to help it stay on. Repeat with all the chicken.
- Air Fry the Chicken: Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees F. When ready, spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer tray and spray the top with cooking spray (from a distance). Cook for 5 minutes. Spray the top of the chicken again, then carefully flip the chicken, spray the new top of the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 155F* with a meat thermometer. (Cook time could vary a bit depending on your air fryer). Place chicken patties on a paper-towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining chicken (I did two batches).
HOW TO STORE
Store leftover chicken patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
TIPS FOR BEST CIRSPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN PATTY
- Do not skip pounding the chicken. The chicken needs to be even and thin (¼ inch thick) to ensure the chicken cooks evenly and fast. If chicken is too thick you risk burning the breading or overcooking the chicken.
- Use Panko breadcrumbs. Normal Italian breadcrumbs don’t get as crispy as Panko breadcrumbs. Make sure you’re using Panko!
- Crisp the breadcrumbs up before breading. In order to get the most crispy chicken, you’ll want to get the breadcrumbs crispy BEFORE breading the chicken.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Make sure to leave space between the chicken patties so the hot air can circulate and crisp the chicken up! So you may need to cook the chicken in batches depending on the size of your air fryer (I did two batches).
- Don’t over-cook the chicken. Over-cooking can result in the chicken drying out and not being tender and juicy – which we don’t want! Check internal temperature with a thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked through (no longer pink in the middle or internal temperature reaches 165F). I actually like to remove from chicken when it reaches 155F because it will still continue to cook some even when it’s not in the air fryer basket and this way it prevents overcooking.
FAQ: AIR FRYER CHICKEN PATTY
For best results, stick with panko bread crumbs. They will give you the crispiest result! Normal breadcrumbs will work, the chicken patties just won’t be as crispy.
I honestly feel like they go with just about everything! My favorite way is sandwiching it between two hamburger buns with my favorite toppings (and maybe even a slice of cheese!) making it into an Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich. Serve alongside some Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges, a baked potato, mashed potatoes, french fries, tater tots or some vegetables like Air Fryer Green Beans or Air Fryer Broccoli. Serving it up with a side greens and your favorite dressing is always a good idea too!
You sure can! Just be sure to use gluten free flour and gluten free Panko breadcrumbs.
MORE DELICIOUS CHICKEN RECIPES
- PANKO BAKED CHICKEN NUGGETS
- AIR FRYER GRILLED CHICKEN NUGGETS (PICKLE BRINE)
- AIR FRYER PECAN CRUSTED CHICKEN TENDERS
- BANG BANG CHICKEN MINIS (HOMEMADE + FREEZER NUGGET VERSION)
- HEALTHY CRISPY CHICKEN SCHNITZEL
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Air Fryer Chicken Patty and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!