This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
I couldn’t be more excited to chat about this one friends! Inspired by the famous Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish Grill, these chicken minis are just full of ALL the delicious flavors. And they make the PERFECT finger food!!
Seriously if you need something for your next game day party, holiday party, or any get together, bring these. Because they are guaranteed to be a big hit. Every single time!
You don’t need a special occasion to enjoy these Bang Bang Chicken Minis though! They also work great for a quick weeknight dinner, a delicious lunch, or as an after school snack. The whole family can get on board with this one and I can guarantee you they will be asking for you to make it again.
I’ve included an homemade breaded chicken recipe if you want to make the chicken on your own or use this easy short cut method with my favorite freezer nuggets just like in my Copycat Chick-fil-A Cobb Salad Recipe.
Why You’ll Love These Bang Bang Chicken Minis
- Hits all the flavor spots! Breaded crispy chicken, buttery rolls, bang bang sauce!
- Pure comfort food! I mean what’s better than little mini chicken sandwich?
- Shortcut method included. Don’t have time to make your own chicken? No sweat, i’ll show you how to make these using freezer nuggets too.
- These minis work for literally EVERYTHING! From parties to easy weeknight dinner to an after school snack! They’re ALWAYS a good idea!
- A crowd favorite! Absolutely guaranteed to be the hit of the party!
For the Bang Bang Sauce:
- Mayo – I used light mayo.
- Sriracha – or any hot sauce.
- Sweet chili sauce
- Lemon Juice
For the Chicken Nuggets:
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts. and cut them into small pieces. You could also use skinless chicken thighs here.
- Pickle juice – For the brine! I used dill pickle juice.
- Milk – I used plain unsweetened almond milk. Any milk of choice will work!
- Flour – I used almond flour. I have found almond flour to be the best flour for this recipe. It makes a coating that is buttery and so delicious! But if you needed to sub in a pinch, you can use all purpose or gluten free flour. I like a 1:1 gluten free flour such as Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur’s. You could also probably use panko breadcrumbs.
- Cornstarch – You could also use tapioca flour or arrowroot flour would also work here.
- Spices – Paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper
For the Chicken Minis:
- Butter – just a little melted for the rolls really takes it over the top.
- Yeast Rolls – (for serving) I used frozen Sister Schubert’s rolls. Any Parker House style mini yeast rolls would work well here!
- Pickles or green onions – for garnishing. They bring a little pop of color and freshness but you can omit if you wish!
For the short cut method using freezer nuggets, I highly recommend Just Barre chicken nuggets. These are the BEST breaded nuggets out there and totally taste just like Chick-fil-A’s!
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Whisk the bang bang sauce ingredients together until combined then cover and store in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Cut the chicken into 16 roughly even-size pieces. Add to a medium bowl and submerge in the pickle juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Whisk the egg and milk together in a small bowl. Mix together the dry ingredients (flours and spices) in a separate mixing bowl and set aside. Drain the pickle juice from the chicken. Add the chicken pieces to the egg mixture.
4. Then dip into the flour mixture (you can do this individually or all at once if your bowl is large enough).
5. Repeat until all nuggets are coated.
6. Preheat air fryer to 400F and spray air fryer basket with cooking spray. Cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway or until the chicken is cooked throughout (I usually cut the largest nugget in half to check for doneness). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
7. Cut open each yeast roll, leaving the backside attached (this helps hold the chicken in). Brush the inside of each roll with the melted butter.
8. Add a piece of chicken and drizzle with the bang bang sauce. Serve on a platter and garnish with sliced scallions.
Can I cook then chicken on the stovetop or in the oven instead?
Sure! To cook on the stove top, grease a large skillet with olive oil and cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, then flip and and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until done. Or you can cook in the oven at 375F for 20-22 minutes.
Can I use something else besides a yeast roll?
You sure can! You could mini pretzel buns, Hawaiian slider rolls, biscuits or really any bread you want. Or you can just eat them straight! This bang bang chicken would also be delicious in tacos, over rice, over a salad. I really think you can eat them with anything and they’ll be delicious!
Can I make these gluten free?
You can! These homemade chicken nuggets are gluten-free as is, so all you really need to do is sub out the rolls for your favorite gluten-free rolls. The frozen chicken nuggets I recommend for the short cut method are not gluten-free, so if you want to use frozen nuggets, just make sure you’re grabbing a gluten-free kind.
What to serve with Bang Bang Chicken Minis?
If serving for a party – chicken wings, Mexican Dip, Jalapeño Popper Dip, Hot Honey Whipped Feta dip, or any appetizer type food! If serving a snack-y type of dinner – Air Fryer Broccoli, Green Beans, Simple Salad with Goat Cheese and Cranberries. I think any veggie or salad would go great with these!
Are these Chicken Minis spicy?
I don’t handle spicy foods well so I purposely made these non-spicy! There is just a touch of spice (from the paprika and chili powder in the chicken and sriracha in the bang bang sauce), but it’s a very little amount and not a spicy sauce by any means! You can easily add more or less or the spices and/or sriracha to get it to your desired spice level. You can also leave the sauce off and eat these plain or with another sauce if desired. Honey mustard, BBQ- whatever you like!
Bang Bang Sauce:
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise (120g)
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (60g)
- 1.5 tsp honey (10g)
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sriracha can 1-2 tsp more more if you want it spicier
Homemade Chicken Nuggets (OPTION 1):
- 1 lb. chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup dill pickle juice (180g) for the brine
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (120g) or milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fine almond flour (56g) can sub for all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (64g)
- 1.5 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt + black pepper to taste
Freezer Chicken Nuggets (OPTION 2):
- 1 lb. frozen Just Bare lightly breaded chicken nuggets
- Parker House Style mini yeast rolls for serving – I used frozen Sister Schubert’s rolls
- 1 Tbsp melted butter for brushing
- Sliced green onions and/or pickles for garnishing
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
For the Bang Bang Sauce:
- Whisk the bang bang sauce ingredients together until combined.
- Then store in the fridge until ready to use.
OPTION 1 – Homemade Chicken Nuggets:
- Cut the chicken into 16 roughly even-size pieces. Add to a mixing bowl and submerge in the pickle juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a small bowl. Mix together the dry ingredients (flours and spices) in another shallow large bowl and set aside.
- Drain the pickle juice from the chicken. Add the chicken pieces to the egg mixture then dip into the flour mixture (you can do this individually or all at once if your bowl is large enough). Repeat until all nuggets are coated.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F and spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway or until the chicken is cooked throughout (I usually cut the largest nugget in half to check for doneness). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
OPTION 2 – Freezer Nuggets:
- Heat the nuggets according to package directions. You can air fry them for 8 minutes at 350 F or bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes at 375F.
Assemble Chicken Minis:
- Cut open each yeast roll, leaving the backside attached (this helps hold the chicken in). Brush the inside of each roll with the melted butter. Add a piece of chicken and drizzle with the bang bang sauce. Serve on a platter and garnish with sliced green onions and more bang bang sauce if desired!
Nutrition per serving: 176 calories 17C | 8F | 9P
MFP entry: LFF Bang Bang Chicken Minis Chicken Minis (No Sauce) – 1 mini
Per serving: 150 calories 15C | 6F | 9P
MFP entry: LFF Bang Bang Chicken Minis (No Sauce)
Freezer Nugget (2-Ingredient) Version:
Chicken Minis (w/ Sauce) – 1 mini + 1 Tbsp sauce (15g)
Nutrition per serving: 151 calories 15C | 7F | 7P
MFP entry: LFF 2-Ingredient Bang Bang Chicken Minis Chicken Minis (No Sauce) – 1 mini
Per serving: 125 calories 13C | 5F | 7P
MFP entry: LFF 2-Ingredient Bang Bang Chicken Minis (No Sauce)
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.