This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
If you’re a big buffalo sauce fan like me, let me just start by telling you you must check out my Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole and Buffalo Chicken Salad too! All the buffalo recipes are a huge hit amongst readers!
Now, about this easy buffalo chicken dip recipe. It it truly my GO TO for every special occasion or get together where there are picky eaters involved. It is not just the best healthier buffalo chicken dip recipe, it is also the best buffalo chicken dip PERIOD.
So if you’re looking for a delicious recipe for Super Bowl Sunday or your next party, look no further! This healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe is a crowd pleaser and 100% IT!
To make this dip healthier, I subbed full fat cream cheese for low fat cream cheese. I also added nonfat Greek yogurt to increase the creaminess without needing to add extra cheese.
For the cheese, I decided to go with the fat free feta. I wanted to use a “chunk” cheese as opposed to a shredded one. Since I am not a Bleu Cheese girl and fat free feta tastes like the real deal to me, that is what I went with! And it could not have complimented the dip more perfectly!
Moral of the story, EASY is the name of the dish. Need a last minute game day party food? This is your dish. Running low on time? This is your dish!
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Takes 5 minutes to prepare before going in the oven.
- Only 5 ingredients needed!
- Creamy, cheesy, hearty with so much buffalo flavor!!
- A family and crowd favorite – guaranteed highlight of party.
- This creamy dip makes BEST appetizer recipe!!
- It’s a significantly lighter version of your favorite traditional buffalo chicken dip recipe.
- Chicken – this recipe calls for cooked chicken (shredded or cubed). I used cooked chicken breasts. Feel free to use canned chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken if you are in a time crunch. If you need an easy shredded chicken recipe, check out my Basic Shredded Chicken recipe.
- Cream cheese – I used 1/3 reduced fat low-fat cream cheese for this recipe. Any cream cheese works. Use dairy free cream cheese if needed. Let sit a room temperature to soften before using.
- Buffalo sauce – I used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- Greek yogurt- I used plain greek yogurt. Dairy free yogurt also works here. Cottage cheese or sour cream would also work.
- Feta cheese- You could also use blue cheese crumbles or a different cheese of your choice. I think Pepper jack and or mozzarella cheese would taste great too!
- Food for serving – chips, celery, carrots, pretzels, green onion for garish/topping etc!
How To Make
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray. I used an 8 inch/11.5 oz ramekin.
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, cream cheese and buffalo sauce until combined well. Use a hand mixer if desired but you don’t need to. Fold in the chicken and feta cheese. Transfer the chicken mixture to the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle some green onions on top if desired, and scoop up!
- Just add all the ingredients to your Crock Pot and mix together well.
- Cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
Store buffalo dip in an airtight container in the fridge. As long as you used fresh ingredients, this dip with stay fresh in the fridge 5-7 days.
Best Ways To Serve Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip!
Another amazing thing about this dip? You can repurpose it in so many ways! Like not just with different dippers either. It’s healthy enough that you can make it into a meal!
- The classic way: Served with tortilla chips, pita chips, bell peppers, carrot sticks, and celery sticks.
- Salad topper: Kind of like chicken salad on top of a bed of greens, but make it creamier and with buffalo flavor!
- Quesadilla: Throw in a tortilla and sear in a pan to make a killer buffalo chicken quesadilla.
- Pizza: Throw on a bagel, piece of toast or mini pita with some more cheese to make mini buffalo chicken pizza.
- Crunch wrap: Like a quesadilla but better! SO GOOD!
Coming from someone who likes buffalo sauce but does not like spicy food, I think this recipe has a little bit of a kick.
I used Frank’s Red Hot medium Buffalo Sauce for this recipe. It’s just the right amount of kick that gives it some spice but not too much where my non-spicy can’t stand it. It’s perfect for me! Simon has a higher tolerance for spicy foods and he does not consider this dip spicy.
If you don’t want spicy, I would recommend using Frank Red Hot’s mild buffalo sauce. When made with the mild sauce, this dip is truly not spicy, it just has a delicious buffalo flavor.
If you want more spicy, you can add in some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Can I make this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe in the slow cooker?
Yes! To make in the slow cooker, just add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and mix together well. Cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
Can I use a different cheese besides feta?
Sure! Blue cheese crumbles would work well too! I even think a shredded cheese such as pepper jack or mozzarella would taste amazing as well! Make it your own!
Can I freeze this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe?
I would not recommend it. Cream cheese does not typically freeze well after being used in a recipe. But you could try it!
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip more flavorful?
I did not use any seasonings in this skinny buffalo chicken dip recipe because the buffalo sauce brings a ton of flavor. I also usually use salted cooked chicken, so that can make an impact. But if you wanted to give it some more flavor, I would recommend adding in some garlic powder, onion powder or ranch seasoning mix.
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (170g)
- 4- oz. 1/3 reduced-fat cream cheese (112g) softened
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Frank's red hot buffalo sauce (90g)
- 3 cups cooked chicken (300g) shredded or cubed, I used my LFF Basic Shredded Chicken
- 1 cup fat-free feta cheese (112g)
- For serving: tortilla chips, carrots, celery, etc.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray (I used an 8 inch/11.5 oz ramekin).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the yogurt, cream cheese and buffalo sauce until combined well. Stir in the chicken and feta cheese.
- Add the chicken mixture to the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- 8-inch baking ramekin
- Crockpot optional
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.