This Lightened up Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe is my go-to appetizer for football season, and quite frankly for any occasion! Made with a few simple ingredients, this delicious dip is creamy, mouthwatering, and full of so much flavor. There is a reason it is a reader favorite!!
If you’re a big buffalo sauce fan like me, let me just start by telling you you must check out my Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole and Buffalo Chicken Salad too! All the buffalo recipes are a huge hit amongst readers!
Now, about this easy buffalo chicken dip recipe. It it truly my GO TO for every special occasion or get together where there are picky eaters involved. It is not just the best healthier buffalo chicken dip recipe, it is also the best buffalo chicken dip PERIOD.
So if you’re looking for a delicious recipe for Super Bowl Sunday or your next party, look no further! This healthy buffalo chicken dip recipe is a crowd pleaser and 100% IT!
To make this dip healthier, I subbed full fat cream cheese for low fat cream cheese. I also added nonfat Greek yogurt to increase the creaminess without needing to add extra cheese.
For the cheese, I decided to go with the fat free feta. I wanted to use a “chunk” cheese as opposed to a shredded one. Since I am not a Bleu Cheese girl and fat free feta tastes like the real deal to me, that is what I went with! And it could not have complimented the dip more perfectly!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HEALTHY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP RECIPE
- Takes 5 minutes to prepare before going in the oven.
- Only 5 ingredients needed!
- Creamy, cheesy, hearty with so much buffalo flavor!!
- A family and crowd favorite – guaranteed highlight of party.
- This creamy dip makes BEST appetizer recipe!!
- It’s a significantly lighter version of your favorite traditional buffalo chicken dip recipe.
Moral of the story, EASY is the name of the dish. Need a last minute game day party food? This is your dish. Running low on time? This is your dish!
- Chicken – this recipe calls for cooked chicken (shredded or cubed).I used cooked chicken breasts. Feel free to use canned chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken if you are in a time crunch. If you need an easy shredded chicken recipe, check out my Basic Shredded Chicken
- Cream cheese – I used 1/3 reduced fat low-fat cream cheese for this recipe. Any cream cheese works. Use dairy free cream cheese if needed. Let sit a room temperature to soften before using.
- Buffalo sauce – I used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- Greek yogurt- I used plain greek yogurt. Dairy free yogurt also works here. Cottage cheese or sour cream would also work.
- Feta cheese- You could also use blue cheese crumbles or a different cheese of your choice. I think Pepper jack and or mozzarella cheese would taste great too!
- Food for serving – chips, celery, carrots, pretzels, green onion for garish/topping etc!
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an oven safe dish with cooking spray. I used an 8 inch/11.5 oz ramekin.
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, cream cheese and buffalo sauce until combined well. Use a hand mixer if desired but you don’t need to. Fold in the chicken and feta cheese. Transfer the chicken mixture to the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle some green onions on top if desired, and scoop up!
You can also make this dip in the Crock Pot! Just add all the ingredients to your Crock Pot and mix together well. Cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
HOW TO STORE
Store buffalo dip in an airtight container in the fridge. As long as you used fresh ingredients, this dip with stay fresh in the fridge 5-7 days.
HOW TO SERVE THIS HEALTHY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP
Another amazing thing about this dip? You can repurpose it in so many ways! Like not just with different dippers either. It’s healthy enough that you can make it into a meal!
- The classic way: Served with tortilla chips, pita chips, bell peppers, carrot sticks, and celery sticks.
- Salad topper: Kind of like chicken salad on top of a bed of greens, but make it creamier and with buffalo flavor!
- Quesadilla: Throw in a tortilla and sear in a pan to make a killer buffalo chicken quesadilla.
- Pizza: Throw on a bagel, piece of toast or mini pita with some more cheese to make mini buffalo chicken pizza.
- Crunch wrap: Like a quesadilla but better! SO GOOD!
IS THIS HEALTHY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP RECIPE SPICY?
Coming from someone who likes buffalo sauce but does not like spicy food, I think this recipe has a little bit of a kick.
I used Frank’s Red Hot medium Buffalo Sauce for this recipe. It’s just the right amount of kick that gives it some spice but not too much where my non-spicy can’t stand it. It’s perfect for me! Simon has a higher tolerance for spicy foods and he does not consider this dip spicy.
If you don’t want spicy, I would recommend using Frank Red Hot’s mild buffalo sauce. When made with the mild sauce, this dip is truly not spicy, it just has a delicious buffalo flavor.
If you want more spicy, you can add in some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes! To make in the slow cooker, just add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and mix together well. Cook on high for 1.5 to 2 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
Sure! Blue cheese crumbles would work well too! I even think a shredded cheese such as pepper jack or mozzarella would taste amazing as well! Make it your own!
I would not recommend it. Cream cheese does not typically freeze well after being used in a recipe. But you could try it!
I did not use any seasonings in this skinny buffalo chicken dip recipe because the buffalo sauce brings a ton of flavor. I also usually use salted cooked chicken, so that can make an impact. But if you wanted to give it some more flavor, I would recommend adding in some garlic powder, onion powder or ranch seasoning mix.
MORE DELICIOUS APPETIZERS
- MEXICAN CAULIFLOWER RICE DIP
- SKINNY DUNKAROO DIP
- JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN DIP WITH BACON AND PRETZEL NUGGETS
- WHIPPED FETA CHEESE WITH HONEY
MORE BUFFALO RECIPE TO TRY
- BUFFALO CHICKEN EGG ROLLS
- BUFFALO CHICKEN SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE
- BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP
- BUFFALO CHICKEN CRESCENT RING
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this healthy buffalo chicken recipe and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Is the chicken 10oz of cooked chicken or 10oz of raw chicken that you cook and shred? Looks yummy!!! I am not a blue cheese fan either so I will for sure give this a try.
10 oz cooked! Can’t wait for you to try!! Definitely think it’s better with the feta than blue cheese 😂
LOVE this dip! I am normally a blue cheese girl, but I love the use of fat free feta in this — keeps this dip lower in fat and adds so much flavor. I used canned chicken, which made this dip come together incredibly fast. This is my go-to buffalo chicken dip recipe from now on!
This is riiiiidiciously good. My favourite way to enjoy it is to slap it on an O’Dough’s bagel thin and put under the broiler for a minute or two.
I did end up reducing the chicken a bit as I found it was thick enough with a reduced amount. And I live in Canada – where fat-free feta doesn’t exist, boo – but light feta worked great too!