This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
This Healthy 7 Layer Dip is the best healthier version of the classic Mexican dip you know and love! Lightened up and higher in protein by using Greek yogurt for the creamy bean layer this recipe is a sneakier healthier take everyone will love!
This super simple recipe is perfect for pool parties, Taco Tuesday, your next super bowl party and more!
Plus, this easy dip is not only delicious but nutritional! It’s packed with protein, healthy fats, fiber, fresh vegetables and more! Serve this classic dip with tortilla chips or get creative and serve with other options like pita chips, low carb chips, celery sticks, etc!
Why You’ll Love This Healthy 7 Layer Dip Recipe
- Made with delicious, fresh ingredients for the ultimate healthy appetizer or game day dish!
- Lightened up from traditional 7-layer dip but still made with all the best flavors!
- The most delicious gluten-free tex-mex dip everyone will love!
- Perfect served with your favorite tortilla chips or fresh veggies!
- Enjoy as a healthy snack, appetizer or side dish!
- Plain Greek yogurt – can also sub for sour cream if you prefer.
- Refried beans
- Taco seasoning – can use store-bought or homemade taco seasoning!
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Guacamole – I used Wholly Guacamole store-bought guacamole! You can use store-bought, homemade or just mashed avocado for this layer!
- Mexican shredded cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Fresh cilantro – optional but adds a ton of flavor!
- Grape tomatoes
- Tortilla chips – use your favorite tortilla chips or low carb chips for serving!
- Add extra protein! Add a layer of ground beef or chicken to kick up the protein even more!
- More veggies and toppings! Throw your favorite veggies and toppings like red onions, bell peppers, fresh avocados, black olives and more to add even more flavor!
- Switch up the beans! Use refried black beans instead of refried pinto beans for a fun variation!
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. To make the refried bean layer, add the yogurt, refried beans and 3 Tbsp of the taco seasoning mix (reserve 1 Tbsp) to a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until combined.
2. Then stir in the 1/4 cup salsa.
3. Spread the refried bean mixture evenly into the bottle of an 8×8-inch dish.
4. Mix the remaining 1 Tbsp taco seasoning with the Greek yogurt.
5. Spread over the refried bean layer.
6. Then spread the guacamole layer, and then the salsa layer on top.
7. Sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese, followed by the shredded lettuce, cilantro, and lastly the tomatoes.
8. Sprinkle a little salt and freshly cracked black pepper on top if desired. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Make Your Own Tortilla Chips
Don’t have any tortilla chips on hand? No problem!
Just cut tortillas (or your favorite low carb flatbread) into chips, spray with olive oil or cooking spray, season with some salt, and baked them at 375 for about 7-8 minutes. Just until crisp.
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
For peak freshness, I recommend making this the healthy 7-layer dip as close to serving time as possible but you can also make it up to 24 hours ahead of time if needed! Once you’ve made it simply cover it and refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve. If making ahead of time, you can leave off the lettuce and add it right before serving to help preserve some of the crunch!
Can I make this 7 layer dip vegan?
Yes! You can easily make this 7 layer taco dip vegan-friendly! Just make sure to use vegan black beans (many container animal products) and use plant-based cheese and dairy-free yogurt.
Does this 7 layer dip freeze well?
I do not recommend freezing this dip. The guacamole and yogurt layers will not thaw well and the vegetables will get watery. This dip is best enjoyed with 24 hours of making!
Refried Bean Layer:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (227g)
- 1 16-oz. can refried beans
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup salsa or pico de gallo (60g)
Rest of the Layers:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (227g)
- 1 cup guacamole (240g) I used Wholly Guacamole
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo (240g)
- 1/2 cup Mexican shredded cheese (112g)
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro optional but adds a ton of flavor!
- 1 cup grape tomatoes quartered
- Tortilla chips for serving
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- To make the refried bean layer, add the yogurt, refried beans and 3 Tbsp of the taco seasoning mix (reserve 1 Tbsp) to a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until combined. Then stir in the 1/4 cup salsa.
- Spread the refried bean mixture evenly into the bottle of an 8×8-inch dish.
- Mix the remaining 1 Tbsp taco seasoning with the Greek yogurt and spread over the refried bean layer.
- Then spread the guacamole layer, and then the salsa layer on top.
- Sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese, followed by the shredded lettuce, cilantro, and lastly the tomatoes. Sprinkle a little salt and freshly cracked black pepper on top if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.