This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
Am I the only one who is always craving buffalo chicken? I don’t think I could ever get bored of it and especially not with this kind of chicken salad recipe!
This recipe includes tender, juicy chicken tossed in spicy buffalo sauce mixed with crunchy veggies and lathered in a creamy ranch or bleu cheese dressing…oh my lanta. IT’S SO GOOD!
If this is you too, you’re going to love my Dairy-Free Buffalo Chicken Salad so much that you’re gonna want to make it everyday for lunch!
This salad recipe is so perfect to meal prep early in the week and use for lunches or a quick dinner. It holds up great in the fridge and there are so many ways to enjoy it.
Spread it on some toast to make a regular or open-faced sandwich, roll it up in a tortilla as a wrap, scoop it into some lettuce cups, or treat it as a dip and dive in with some carrots and celery. The options are endless!
Why You’ll Love this Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
- It’s super easy to whip up and last all week in the fridge!
- Packed with so much delicious flavor! Made with hearty chicken and crunchy veggies.
- A healthy, filling and satisfying meal! Made with just the right amount of kick!
- A great recipe for meal prep! A great gluten-free and dairy-free recipe!
- Incredibly versatile with so many ways to enjoy it! Perfect for on-the-go!
- Chicken – any type of cooked and shredded type of chicken will work for this recipe. I always use my Basic Shredded Chicken recipe for any chicken salad recipe. You can use canned, rotisserie, grilled, etc.
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Mayo – I used Hellman’s light mayo.
- Buffalo sauce – I used Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce. Any favorite buffalo sauce works great here!
Don’t love mayo? Feel free to swap it out for Greek yogurt or cottage cheese!
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Wash and dice your veggies.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients. Fold using a wooden spoon until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
3. Taste and add any salt and/or pepper to taste.
4. Serve as a sandwich, on an open-faced piece of toast, in a lettuce wrap, or eat straight up!
Different Ways To Enjoy Your Buffalo Chicken Salad
- As a sandwich – The classic way! Place your chicken salad between two pieces of bread or toast.
- As open-faced sandwich – Spread chicken salad on a warm, toasted piece of bread.
- As a wrap – Grab your favorite kind of tortilla and roll this chicken salad inside!
- On top of a salad – I like to eat this over a bed of romaine with some crackers on the side.
- Straight up – Enjoy by the forkful. It’s so delicious!
Is this recipe spicy?
This recipe is not super spicy as the mayo helps to mellow out some of the spice. But if you are extra sensitive to spice, I would recommend using a mild buffalo sauce instead of regular or using less buffalo sauce.
Is this Buffalo Chicken Salad healthy?
It sure is! This chicken salad is packed with lean protein, four different vegetables (hello fiber!), and uses a small amount of mayo to bring creaminess. It has significantly less fat and calories than most chicken salad recipes.
Can I replace the mayo with something else?
Can I replace the mayo with something else?
We use a little bit of light mayo in this recipe and it goes a long way. I highly recommend it if you have it for the best flavor! But if you’re in a crunch, you can replace the mayo with plain Greek yogurt or dairy-free Greek yogurt. This will also give you a little extra protein!
Can I freeze this chicken salad?
I haven’t tried it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I wouldn’t think the texture would remain the same. Definitely think this salad is best eaten fresh!
- 4 cups cooked & shredded chicken breast (500g) I used my Basic Shredded Chicken recipe but rotisserie, canned, or grilled chicken works!
- 1 red bell pepper (130g) finely diced
- 4 celery stalks (185g) finely diced
- 1/2 medium red onion (120g) finely diced
- 2 small carrots (120g) finely diced
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp light mayo (90g)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp buffalo sauce (90g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients. Fold until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Taste and add any salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich, on toast, in a wrap or lettuce wrap, over a bed of greens or enjoy as is!
- Vegetable chopper optional
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.