This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
This avocado greek yogurt chicken salad recipe is seriously the easiest one you will ever make! It’s packed with flavor from the lemon juice and cilantro and is lightened up by using nonfat Greek yogurt instead of traditional mayo.
This recipe is a great, fresh, filling lunch (or dinner) that can be added to a wrap, topped on a salad or toasted bread.
I love me a good healthy chicken salad recipe regardless – but adding that avocado in the mix really leveled things up in this recipe! Combined with the cilantro and lemon juice, this salad is just bursting in flavor! It’s like fresh guacamole meets creamy chilled chicken salad.
If you’re looking for more chicken salad recipes without mayonnaise, definitely check out my Rainbow Chicken Salad and Winter Pecan and Cranberry Chicken Salad. If you want a little mayo in it (but also want it a little healthier), check out my Buffalo Chicken Salad recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Avocado Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Creamy, hearty, light. Just like a traditional chicken salad recipe but lightened up!
- Super versatile. Make it your own by adding in more nuts, fruit, or veggies.
- Greek yogurt provides extra protein and gut-friendly probiotics!
- Tastes like fresh guacamole meets classic chicken salad with lots of healthy fats!
- Comes together in just 5 minutes and great for meal prep!!
- Avocado – I cubed mine into small pieces for easy mixing. Make sure is it ripe avocado!
- Chicken – I used cooked chicken breast. My favorite chicken for recipes like this is my Basic Shredded Chicken. Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or grilled chicken also works great! You could even use canned chicken or boil your own chicken.
- Yogurt – I used nonfat plain Greek Yogurt. Low far or whole milk greek yogurt also work. Use a non dairy yogurt to make it dairy free. You could also sub for sour cream or mayo.
- Red onion
- Lemon – a key ingredient to helping the avocado stay as fresh as possible!
- Cilantro – or any other herb of choice!
- For tuna salad: Try tuna instead of chicken to make this an avocado tuna salad!
- For more flavor: Add in some lemon zest.
- For more freshness: Add some red grapes.
- For more creaminess: Add an extra spoonful of greek yogurt to make it creamier.
- For more heartiness: Combine bacon with the chicken mixture. Crisp bacon makes everything better!
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Add the avocado, yogurt, red onion, celery, lemon juice, chopped herbs, minced garlic, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Use a fork to combine, mashing some of the avocado as you go (I like leaving some small chunks in there).
2. Add the chicken.
3. Mix to combine.
4. Enjoy on bread, on a wrap, or on greens for a salad.
Keep your avocado greek yogurt chicken salad stored in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap in fridge for up to 2-3 days. Try to keep as much air out as it will prevent browning of the avocados.
Ways To Enjoy Your Avocado Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- Mixed greens salad. Top this avocado chicken salad topped on top of a huge salad and drizzle with your favorite salad dressing.
- Roasted vegetables. Serve this healthy chicken salad along your favorite roasted vegetables. Cauliflower, Broccoli, Air Fryer Green Beans, Sweet Potato Wedges.
- Rice cakes. On top of rice cakes. I love doing this when I’m in the mood for something crunchy!
- Toasted bread. Serve on a piece of whole-grain bread or wheat bread for a classic choice that is delicious every time.
- Dip with chips. Grab some Tostitos and dive in!
- Lettuce Wraps. A delicious low carb option.
- Pita bread. Stuff it in a pita brad for the perfect eat on-the-go lunch.
- Cold lunch plate. Serve this chicken salad on a cold lunch plate with fresh fruit.
How ripe do the avocados need to be for this chicken salad recipe?
For this recipe, I would suggest using avocados that are ripe but still slightly firm. This will help you dice the avocado into even cubes and it not to brown as quickly in the salad. To tell if an avocado is ripe, gently squeeze it. It should feel just slightly squishy. If your avocado isn’t quite ripe yet, you can place it in a window seal or in a brown paper bag with a banana to help it ripen quicker. Or check out this great article for more ways to quickly ripen an avocado!
Can you freeze this chicken salad?
I haven’t tried it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I wouldn’t think the texture would remain the same. Definitely think this salad is best eaten fresh!
What herbs can I substitute for the cilantro?
If you aren’t a fan of cilantro (or just don’t have any on hand), you can substitute for parsley, mint or dill. You could also add chives if you wish or omit the herbs all together.
- 12 oz. cooked and chilled shredded chicken about 3 cups – I used my Basic Shredded Chicken but any cooked chicken works! Rotisserie, canned, grilled, etc.
- 2 small ripe avocados (200g)
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (76g) can use dairy-free yogurt or mayo
- 1/4 cup red onion (35g) finely diced
- 1/4 cup celery (35g) finely diced
- 1/2 lemon (15g) juiced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs like cilantro, parley, or oregano– use what you have on hand
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Add the avocado, yogurt, red onion, celery, lemon juice, chopped herbs, minced garlic, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Use a fork to combine, mashing some of the avocado as you go (I like leaving some small chunks in there).
- Then stir in the chicken.
- Enjoy on bread, on a wrap, or on greens for a salad.
- Vegetable chopper optional
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.