This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
This is one of my most popular recipes and I make it all of the time! And so does MY MOM haha! It’s been around since the beginning of the blog and has been tweaked over the years based on y’alls feedback and testing with different ingredients to make it the best ever.
This Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole will seriously blow your mind. The top is bubbly, cheesy, and slightly crispy and the inside is incredibly creamy with the most insane flavor.
It’s packed with protein from the chicken and fiber from the spaghetti squash, making it a healthy and macro-friendly dish! And it’s great for meal prep, so you can make it to enjoy ALL WEEK LONG!
Like many casseroles, this dish is also super customizable and you can make it in a way that works best for you. Use a pre-shredded or rotisserie chicken or cook your spaghetti squash the day before if you need to save some time.
Use different seasonings, different cheese and throw in any extra veggies you have on hand. It all bakes together into perfection!
I love making a ton of spaghetti squash at one time and using it for different recipes! If you have more spaghetti squash on hand, try my original Baked Spaghetti Casserole, Three-Cheese Tuscan Spaghetti Squash Bake or my Cheeseburger Spaghetti Squash Casserole!
Why You’ll Love This Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- It’s BURSTING with buffalo flavor!
- This dish is macro-friendly being low carb and high protein.
- Works as an amazing meal prep option for the week!
- Creamy, cheesy, buffalo chicken…you’ll be scraping your plate and going back for more.
- Casseroles allow for so much customization! Add more veggies, toss in extra protein, use a different sauce or experiment with other cheese flavors.
- It’s so good, even your mom will want to make it. Seriously! My mom makes it more than any of my recipes 😂
- Spaghetti squash – Adds so much volume to this casserole! Check out How to Cook a Spaghetti Squash for all the different ways to cook a spaghetti squash.
- Chicken breast – we’ll be using already cooked chicken for this recipe. I used my Basic Shredded Chicken recipe but rotisserie chicken or any type of chicken you have on hand works too!
- Buffalo sauce – I used Frank’s Red Hot, the best of the best! But any buffalo sauce works!
- Seasonings – garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper
- Greek yogurt – Helps make this casserole oh so creamy! You can replace with sour cream, cottage cheese or cream cheese if you’d like. Use dairy-free if needed.
- Shredded cheese – I love parmesan and mozzarella cheese with buffalo sauce and like to switch it up each time (sometimes i’ll add both), but feel free to use your favorite shredded cheese or any cheese you have on hand!
- Egg – Helps to bind and keep the spaghetti squash together. But not mandatory and can omit if needed.
- Olive oil – We’ll just be using a little bit here. A little goes a long way! Just steps it up a notch and makes it taste more like the real deal.
- Need more protein? Throw in extra shredded chicken breast and/or cheese.
- Switch up the protein? Don’t want to use shredded chicken? You could also make this recipe with ground beef, ground turkey or chicken.
- Want to make it creamier? Replace the greek yogurt with cream cheese. And add more cheese on top!
- Make it vegetarian? Omit the chicken and throw in some of your favorite veggies or white beans instead.
- Want more volume? Throw in some fibrous veggies to fill your belly up! My favorite additions to this casserole so far have been grilled onions, carrots and mushrooms. But broccoli, green beans, bell peppers – any and all veggies work!
- Not feeling spaghetti squash? Use regular pasta instead.
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. If you still need to cook your spaghetti squash and chicken, do this first. Check out How to Cook a Spaghetti Squash for the different ways to cook.
2. Grab a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, olive oil, onion powder and garlic powder and whisk together. Add a few shakes of salt and pepper if your chicken isn’t salty (no need to add if you’re using rotisserie chicken). Then mix in the buffalo sauce and yogurt.
3. Add the spaghetti squash, shredded chicken and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
4. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
5. Transfer spaghetti squash mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly and the edges start to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
How To Cook Your Spaghetti Squash
This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole truly is so easy! The hardest part is just getting your spaghetti squash cooked and shredded – besides that, everything else comes together relatively quick and easy.
If you aren’t sure the best way to cook your spaghetti squash, check out these 3 easy ways (oven, air fryer, microwave) to bake and shred your squash. I will usually do this the night before so I have the strands ready to go.
Is this buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole spicy?
This buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole has a slight kick, but nothing too spicy! If you’re worried about the spice or making for young kiddos, you can use a mild buffalo sauce!
Can I freeze this buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole?
Yes! This is a great casserole to freeze. Just let it come to room temperature, then store it covered or in a plastic container for up to 3 months. To reheat, let it defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat in the oven at 350F for 20-30 minutes, or until the center is warm and the casserole is bubbling again.
Why is my spaghetti squash casserole watery?
Be sure to not overcook your spaghetti squash as this can cause it to be watery and add too much liquid to the dish. I like to bake my spaghetti squash until it is just barely done (able to shred with a fork) because it will continue to cook in the oven with the dish. This prevents overcooking and the casserole turning out watery.
- 5 cups cooked spaghetti squash (700g) 700g
- 3 cups cooked chicken I used my LFF Basic Shredded Chicken
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (7g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup franks red hot sauce (120g)
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt or sour cream (120g)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese (56g)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- If you still need to cook your spaghetti squash, do that first.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9×13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Grab a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, olive oil, onion powder and garlic powder and whisk together. Add a few shakes of salt and pepper if your chicken isn't salty (no need to add if you're using rotisserie chicken). Then mix in the buffalo sauce and yogurt.
- Fold in the spaghetti squash, shredded chicken and 1/4 cup of the cheese with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer spaghetti squash mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it's hot and bubbly and the edges start to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.