This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
I LOVE a good big ass salad, also known as a BAS. 😂 I swear I could eat them every day! With the right toppings and dressing, they can satisfy whatever cravings you have popping up in a lighter and healthier way.
And let me tell you, this Balsamic Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad really hits the spot!
To make my life easier, I like to bulk meal prep a protein for the week—usually chicken, but sometimes steak, salmon or beef. Then, I’ll just prepare some toppings to include with it on a salad. This system makes sure I’m never bored and my BAS is always super delicious!
That being said, strawberries and goat cheese is one of my favorite combos! The sweet juicy strawberries pair so well with the creamy goat cheese. And both with some tender and juicy balsamic chicken? Absolutely DROOL WORTHY!
I also added some red onions to this salad to give it a crunch. And to keep with the tangy balsamic flavor, I added a light balsamic dressing!
If strawberries and goat cheese doesn’t sound good to you, feel free to add what YOU like. There’s plenty of fruit, veggie, and cheese combos that would be just as delicious!
Why You’ll Love This Balsamic Grilled Chicken Salad
- It’s tangy, sweet, fresh, and delicious, hitting all the flavor spots!
- The perfect light lunch to leave you feeling satisfied.
- Filled with tender and juicy chicken!
- You get a BIG salad for a small amount of calories.
- Great meal prep option!
- Chicken – I used boneless and skinless chicken breast.
- Vinegar – I used both balsamic and apple cider vinegar.
- Olive oil
- Seasonings – Grab some salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Lettuce – Romaine or mixed greens of your choice work great!
- Strawberries – So juicy, sweet, and flavorful!
- Red Onion
- Goat Cheese – I love the creamy texture.
- Dijon mustard
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. First, we’ll prepare the chicken. Start by trimming off any excess fat and butterflying each breast. This will allow the chicken to have more flavor and help ensure even cooking throughout.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients, which include balsamic vinegar through garlic powder.
3. Place chicken in a bowl or a zip-top bag and pour marinade over chicken. Move chicken around to make sure it’s all coated with marinade. Place in the fridge and let marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before grilling.
4. When ready to grill, remove chicken from the marinade, letting excess drip off. Discard marinade. Grill chicken over medium heat (~450°F) for 5 minutes. Then, flip and grill for another 4-5 minutes.
5. Cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. After the chicken has rested a bit, slice into strips.
6. Next, we’ll assemble the salad. In a bowl or meal prep container, add your greens. Then, add the chicken strips, strawberries, red onions, and goat cheese. Top with light balsamic vinaigrette or your favorite salad dressing and enjoy!
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
This recipe makes 8 servings of balsamic chicken. If meal prepping in a container together, prep up to 2 servings at once. Otherwise, the lettuce may get soggy. Store the remainder of chicken and dressing separately.
What should I serve with this salad?
You can enjoy this salad on its own or as a side to a larger piece of protein. It would even be delicious rolled up in a wrap and taken on the go!
What other toppings could I add to this salad?
If you want to change this salad up, you might like adding fresh tomatoes, blueberries, nuts, or maybe even granola. You could substitute the goat cheese with feta or bleu cheese, shredded cheese, or fresh mozzarella. There really are so many options!
Does it matter if the protein is served warm or cold?
For the most part, it doesn’t. Feel free to add your protein straight from the grill to the salad or use cold leftovers. If you are using a more delicate green like spinach, I would recommend letting the protein cool so the warmth doesn’t cause wilting.
Balsamic Grilled Chicken Breast
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (60g)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30g)
- 1.5 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the Salad:
- 3 cups romaine lettuce or mixed greens chopped
- 3/4 cup strawberries (105g) halved
- 1/4 cup red onions (30g) thinly sliced
- 1.5 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese (22g)
- 82 g Balsamic Grilled Chicken Breast
Light Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (60g)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (30g)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (30g)
- 2 Tbsp water (30g)
- 1 Tbsp honey (21g)
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Prepare the chicken by trimming off any excess fat and butterflying each breast. This will allow the chicken to have more flavor and help ensure even cooking throughout.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients (balsamic vinegar through garlic powder).
- Place chicken in a bowl or a zip-top bag and pour marinade over chicken. Move chicken around to make sure it's all coated with marinade. Place in the fridge and let marinate for at least 2 hours up to 24 hours before grilling. See notes for oven version.
- When ready to grill, remove chicken from the marinade, letting excess drip off. Discard marinade. Grill chicken over medium heat (~450°F) for 5 minutes. Then flip, and grill for another 4-5 minutes, or until cooked through (165°F internal temperature).
- Next, we'll assemble the salad. In a bowl or meal prep container, add your greens. Then, add the chicken strips, strawberries, red onions, and goat cheese.
- Top with light balsamic vinaigrette or your favorite salad dressing and enjoy!
Per serving: 82g
Nutrition per serving: 116 calories 0.4C / 2.1F / 26P
MFP entry: LFF Balsamic Grilled Chicken For just Light Balsamic Vinaigrette (so you can log however much you wish)
Per serving: 2 Tbsp (30g)
Nutrition per serving: 60 calories 4.9C / 4.5F / 0P
MFP entry: LFF Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.