A cheeseburger in pie form? Heck YES! This Cheeseburger Pie is filled with hearty beef, grilled onions and cheese, and it comes together quickly and easily on a busy weeknight! The whole family will LOVE it!
Need a quick and easy weeknight meal guaranteed to win over your husband and kids? This Cheeseburger Pie is it! It’s perfect for busy evenings when you need a delicious meal on the table fast. And you need just a few pantry staples to bring it to life!
This Cheeseburger Pie was based off the vintage “impossible pie” recipes that Betty Crocker introduced in the 1970s. Not to be confused with the Impossible brand of meat products made from plants! The impossible pie from the 70s got its name because the company described it as “impossibly easy” – and it really is SO easy!
Of course, I had to see what I could do to make it just a little more macro-friendly. To lighten it up, I added mushrooms for more volume, used 96% lean beef, and opted for reduced fat cheese. The result? An impossibly easy and drool-worthy Cheeseburger Pie that doesn’t taste healthy for a second!
Pair a slice of your Cheeseburger Pie with a simple side salad, roasted broccoli, fries, or even fresh fruit. There’s so many ways to enjoy!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CHEESEBURGER PIE
- Takes just 15 minutes to prep!
- A quick and easy dinner for a busy weeknight.
- Cheesy, beefy, and filled with all the delicious cheeseburger flavors. 😍
- Lower in carbs, fats, and calories than your traditional cheeseburger!
- Super macro-friendly.
- Kid and husband approved. Everyone LOVES this one!
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
- Mushrooms – For some added volume.
- Ground beef – I used 96/4 lean ground beef, but any ground beef would work!
- Garlic cloves
- Ketchup – I used G Hugh’s sugar free ketchup.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Shredded cheese – I used 2% Colby jack. Use your favorite!
- Milk of choice – I used fat-free, but 1% milk, almond milk, cashew milk, or any other milk would work!
HOW TO MAKE A CHEESEBURGER PIE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a pie dish with cooking spray. You could also use a 8×8-inch dish here or double the recipe and use a 9×13-inch.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until onions and mushrooms are tender. Drain any excess liquid and add the veggies to the pie dish.
- Wipe the skillet clean and add the beef. Cook until no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the salt, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup.
- Transfer the beef mixture to the prepared pie dish and toss around with the onions and mushrooms to evenly distribute. Sprinkle with half the cheese (28g).
- In a separate bowl, add the egg, milk and Bisquick. Whisk just until combined. It’s ok if some small lumps remain. Over-mixing can make the texture tough, and we want fluffy! Pour the batter over beef mixture and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing for a cleaner cut.
Don’t overmix! Some lumps in the Bisquick batter are fine! Over-mixing will activate the gluten in the flour, which results in tough, dense baked goods. Not what we’re going for with this delicious Cheeseburger Pie!
Drain any excess liquid from the mushrooms before adding. Mushrooms naturally hold a lot of water and release it when cooked. If you don’t drain it, it will water down the recipe and flavors. We want the best tasting pie possible!
Make your Cheeseburger Pie in bulk. To meal prep for the whole week, or to cook for a larger family, double the recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch dish.
TOPPING IDEAS & FLAVOR ALTERNATIVES
While this dish tastes delicious as is, here are some fun ways to change it up for something new:
Do up your cheeseburger pie slice just like you would your cheeseburger! Top with pickle relish or more shredded cheese. You can drizzle/dip in ketchup, too. I love G Hugh’s Sugar Free Ketchup and Heinz No Sugar Added Ketchup. You may also enjoy topping with light mayo or my Skinny Special Sauce!
Play with your favorite burger combos! Love a bacon cheeseburger? Add bacon. Go nuts for caramelized onions? Add some on top! Big buffalo fan? Drizzle/dip and add some bleu cheese crumbles.
Substitute a different meat. I LOVE making this dish with BBQ pork. Check out my Pork Carnitas recipe and add some BBQ sauce!
For a vegan dish, turn this into a black bean burger pie! Simply substitute the ground beef with some crumbled up black bean burgers. You could also use a plant-based meat.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Cheeseburger Pie and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!