Deliciously creamy, perfectly spiced and so festive!! This Pumpkin Protein Shake recipe tastes JUST like a milkshake but is way healthier and has a lot more protein! It’s thick, creamy, so flavorful and makes the absolute BEST fall time treat!
It’s finally PUMPKIN season, friends! Start this fall season off right with this Pumpkin Protein Shake recipe! Not only is this it is super quick and easy to make, it is also bursting with all the favorite fall flavors! Enjoy with a spoon or a straw, guilt free! This protein packed milkshake has been tremendously lightened-up, but is still packed with the most delicious pumpkin spice flavors!
This Pumpkin Protein Shake recipe will make each one of your taste buds go CRAZY. It’s creamy, rich, slightly crunchy and perfectly sweet!! Blended with ice cubes, pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, real ice cream and some graham crackers for the perfect creamy (not icy!) texture. You can even top with some cool whip (or whipped cream), more crumbled graham crackers, and some caramel sauce or pure maple syrup to take it next level!!
Even better news? It is such a healthy balanced treat that is sure to satisfy your pumpkin pie cravings! It is packed with protein! It’s a delicious way to help fuel your body and repair those hard-working muscles! So you can feel so good about drinking it!! You are going to absolutely LOVE this one, friends!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS PUMPKIN PROTEIN SHAKE RECIPE
- Protein packed treat that fuels your body.
- So much room for fun and yummy toppings.
- Quick and easy! All you have to do is blend the ingredients!
- Perfect way to use leftover pumpkin puree you have laying around
- A delicious and great way to get your protein in!
- Amazingly thick milkshake texture.
- INSANE pumpkin flavor all throughout!
PUMPKIN PIE PROTEIN SHAKE INGREDIENTS
- Protein powder – I used PEScience Pumpkin. If you don’t have a pumpkin flavor, no worries! You can also use vanilla protein powder, such as PEScience vanilla. And add in some sprinkles of pumpkin pie spice! Any neutral flavor will work just great! Not all protein powders are the same, and since this is the MAIN ingredient of this milkshake, please make sure you use a good quality one and one that you actually like the taste. For all Pescience products, you can use my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie to save 10% off your purchase.
- Ice cream – Who doesn’t love ice cream? It’s going to help make our milkshake nice and creamy. Just a little amount is needed and it goes a long way in this recipe! I highly recommend using Edy’s Slow Churned French Vanilla ice cream but any ice cream works! If you’re fresh out, you can sub for some half and half or coffee creamer in a pinch to help achieve that thick, delicious milkshake consistency.
- Pumpkin– I used canned pure pumpkin. Not to be confused with canned pumpkin pie filling, which I would not recommend using this for this milkshake.
- Vanilla extract – A hint of vanilla really highlights and complements all of our delicious and sweet flavors!
- Stevia – I use Better Stevia Liquid Drops.
- Xanthan gum – Helps create thickness. I use Bob’s Red Mill. You can omit if you want, it may just not get as thick.
- Milk – I used vanilla unsweetened almond milk. You can also use cashew milk, oat milk, coconut milk or whatever other milk you wish!
- Graham crackers– Use gluten free if needed! I like Kinnikinnick.
- Ice – For the best consistency, make sure it’s nice and fresh (AKA NO SUPER OLD ICE!)
HOW TO MAKE THIS PUMPKIN PROTEIN SHAKE RECIPE
- Add all the ingredients (except the graham cracker) to your high speed blender. Blend until smooth. I used a Ninja IQ for this. If using another blender, just make sure it is one that is a powerful blender so it can crush the ice!
- Taste the milkshake. If it needs more sweetness, add more stevia. If it needs to be thinner, add more milk. If it needs to be thicker, add 2-3 ice cubes. Blend again until desired consistency is reached.
- Add half of your graham cracker sheet and pulse just a few times. You don’t want to break the cracker up completely.
- Transfer to a large glass or bowl (room for more toppings!) Top with remaining half of graham cracker, crumbled up. Add anything else that sounds good and sip up! My favorite go-to toppings: cool whip and a little caramel sauce drizzle!
TIPS FOR THE BEST CONSISTENCY
- Use a good quality blender – I used a Ninja IQ for this recipe. I am not saying you need that exact blender. Obviously, use what you have and try to make it work. But I will say that the appliance you use does matter here. You need a blender or food processor that is strong enough to break the ice up. Otherwise, the consistency of your milkshake will be off.
- Use fresh ice – It breaks up and blends better than old ice! Older ice does not break up as well and it’s going to result in a more icy milkshake.
- Measure your ingredients – No you don’t need to buy a food scale, but it really makes life so much easier! You don’t have to use and wash measuring cups and spoons– you just zero the scale, add the ingredient and repeat for the next ingredient! I have a Large Platform Kitchen Scale that I use and love. If you don’t need one that big, this smaller (and cheaper) Kitchen Scale does just the job! The ratio of ingredients is important for overall consistency and the digital scale helps so much. But if ya don’t have one, don’t sweat it, just do your best to make sure you add the right portions!
- Use a good quality protein powder – Not all protein powders blend equally. So you make sure you know the one you use blends well! AND one that you like the flavor of because that is going to be the main ingredient in this recipe. I used PEScience Pumpkin. But you can definitely use a vanilla protein powder as well. PEScience is my FAVORITE brand of protein powder. It doesn’t have a weird protein taste and brings an amazing texture to the milkshake. Use code Laurenfitfoodie to save 10% if you want to try it.
- Use Xanthan gum – You could technically omit this, but if you have it on hand, go ahead and add a little! It helps a ton with achieving the milkshake thickness and the great texture we are looking for. I would stick to 1/4 tsp, though. Anything more and things start to get weird!
PUMPKIN PIE PROTEIN SHAKE TOPPINGS & MIX INS
- Caramel sauce drizzle – I mean of course!!!
- Cool Whip – I LOVE adding Cool Whip to add creaminess! Reddi Whip and marshmallow fluff are also delicious.
- Cookies – Not dough but actual COOKIES mixed in! I love crumbling up and adding some of my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies when I have some made.
- Cereal – Top your milkshake with your favorite cereal for a perfect way to achieve some extra crunch! Golden Grahams, Cinnamon or Pumpkin Spice Cheerios, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, there are no wrong answers here!
- Chia seeds– A fantstastic boost of fiber!
- Real maple syrup– this is a great option for a little extra fall flavored sweetness!
- Spices- Spinkle some ground ginger, ground cloves, ground nutmeg or a little extra pumpkin pie spice for some extra flavor!
SWITCH IT UP!
- Make a pumpkin protein smoothie! Replace some of the ice cream with frozen banana slices to make a pumpkin pie protein smoothie (doubles as healthy breakfast!)
- Make it more pumpkin spice! Add in pumpkin spice for more delicious pumpkin spice flavor.
- Make it a Pumpkin Oreo Protein Milkshake! Add in some Oreos for the ultimate flavor explosion. Stir in (or pulse briefly).
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Pumpkin Protein Shake and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!