Wondering how you can enjoy Nutella in a macro-friendly way? With this Homemade Nutella Recipe made healthy! It has half the fat and calories, one-third the carbs, and less sugar, but it’s still THICK and delicious. You can literally spread it on anything!
Move over, Nutella! We still love you, but if we can have the knock-off version of you that is still HELLA delicious for half the fat and calories, we ABSOLUTELY will! This Homemade Nutella Spread made healthy is my new favorite way to get my chocolate fix. I love to spread a little on some toast or add a dollop to my baked oatmeal or yogurt bowl. It literally elevates everything 10 fold! And did I mention that it’s been lightened up with no sacrifice in flavor?
To make this recipe, we’ll use nut butter as the foundation for the best consistency. A powdered peanut butter mixed with water won’t cut it. For the most real Nutella flavor, I would recommend hazelnut butter. However, cashew butter works well too because its pretty neutral in flavor compared to peanut or almond butter. Not to say those two kinds wouldn’t work in a crunch, but it would definitely change the flavor.
I also added some hazelnut extract, which is optional, but again it really elevates this spread and makes it taste like the real deal. I highly recommend using it. All you need is a few other pantry staples and you’ll be devouring this homemade Nutella recipe in no time!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HOMEMADE NUTELLA RECIPE MADE HEALTHY
- It has half the calories and fat of regular Nutella and one-third of the carbs!
- So thick, creamy, and chocolately! It’s SO GOOD!
- Quick to make! Just mix everything together and let it thicken in the refrigerator.
- Elevates any treat to make it that much sweeter!
- So many ways to use it! Spread it on fruit, muffins, cookies, oatmeal…the possibilities are endless!
- Nut butter – Hazelnut or cashew butter would work best. You can use peanut butter or almond butter, but be aware that it will change the flavor.
- Cocoa powder
- Pancake syrup – I used sugar free pancake syrup.
- Sweetener – I used Swerve.
- Extracts – Grab some vanilla and hazelnut extract.
- Stevia – This is optional for more sweetness.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NUTELLA RECIPE
To make this Nutella Spread, add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk/stir to combine. If you want to thicken it up, place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
For a lot less sugar and calories, you can get your sweet chocolate fix in a much healthier way! Here are some tips you may find helpful when making the Nutella Spread:
- For the most similar taste as Nutella, use hazelnut butter. Other nut butters work just fine, but they will make the spread taste like less like Nutella and more like the nut butter.
- If you don’t have hazelnut butter, sunflower butter or cashew butter would be the next best thing because they are more neutral tasting butters. But the spread will still taste amazing with almond butter and peanut butter.
- If you need to make this recipe nut free, use sunflower butter.
- Normal cocoa powder works best for this recipe as opposed to dark cocoa powder for best taste and flavor.
- Store spread in the fridge for 30 minutes after making it to thicken.
- Keep stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
WHAT TO SPREAD YOUR HEALTHIER NUTELLA ON
- Rice cakes
- Toasted bread – I love to spread it on toasted brioche bread.
- Fruit – Strawberries, bananas, apples, pears, raspberries, you name it. All taste delicious!
- Muffins – Try spreading it on my Double Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins or Light and Fluffy Skinny Blueberry Muffins!
- Cake – This would taste so good on my Cinnamon Sugar Cake.
- Oatmeal or baked oatmeal – I recommend my Baked Zucchini Oatmeal, Spiced Pear Vanilla Cauliflower Oatmeal Bake, or Best Ever Low Carb Zucchini Oats!
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Healthy Nutella Spread and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!