This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Are you ready to feel like a kid again? This lighter Dunkaroo Dip is made with sweet vanilla flavor and rainbow sprinkles, just like the classic childhood snack. No one will notice it’s lower calorie and protein packed because it’s so delicious and has such a fun presentation!
Get ready to take this popular childhood snack to the NEXT level. This lightened up Dunkaroo Dip is the epitome of HEAVEN! It straight up melts in your mouth, infusing your taste buds with incredible sweetness. Made with fun rainbow cake mix and sprinkles, it’ll take you right back to being a kid!
I created this lighter Dunkaroo Dip with fat-free cream cheese and just used a smaller amount of rainbow cake mix. Even if you need to use 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese, this dip is still going to be lighter than any other recipe like this out there – that still tastes like the real deal that is 😉 I have included the nutrition information if made with the 1/3 reduced fat as well in case you need or want to use this one! I also added a scoop of protein powder to help keep you full and satisfied so you don’t keep reaching back for more. 😂 Not that I would judge you at all!
This Dunkaroo Dip is great to serve at get-togethers. It’s always a hit because it’s so fun and delicious. It’s also the first to disappear and you’ll definitely be asked for more. People are just drawn to the Dunkaroo!
You can also make this dip for yourself to enjoy at home. I love pulling it out when the sweet tooth craving strikes. Spread it on my Cinnamon Sugar Muffins, on top of these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars, or with some Skinny Banana Bread. It’s also yummy on top of yogurt, ice cream, with fruit or cookies (especially animal cookies!), and of course straight up!
If you make this Dunkaroo Dip, leave a review and let me know how you enjoyed it!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SKINNY DUNKAROO DIP
- It’s Dunkaroo sweet vanilla frosting in DIP FORM! How fun! 🙌🏼
- SO EASY and so quick to make! Just 7 ingredients and made in less than 7 minutes.
- Tremendously lightened up and packs a bit of protein.
- This dip is the first to go at every get-together. People CANNOT resist the Dunkaroo! 😂
- Great to prep and keep on hand when that sweet tooth strikes.
- Cream cheese – I used fat-free cream cheese. You can use regular, 1/3 reduced fat, or Greek cream cheese.
- Rainbow cake mix – This gives the dip that REAL cake batter and Dunkaroo flavor. 😍
- Sweetener – I used both Swerve granular sweetener and liquid stevia to balance out the sweetness. Use whatever sweetener you prefer here and adjust amount to preferences.
- Protein powder – I promise, all you can taste is the delicious flavor. No protein powder taste here! To add a little punch of protein! I used PEScience Vanilla. I can’t speak for all protein powder brands, but you can’t taste this one at all aside from a subtle vanilla sweetness. For all PEScience products, you can use code Laurenfitfoodie to save 10% off your purchase.
- Clear vanilla extract – I used McCormick clear vanilla extract. Clear vanilla extract will keep this Dunkaroo dip white like the snack. It still brings the same delicious flavor, though.
- Rainbow sprinkles – These are like the cherry on top. Highly recommend using sprinkles for this one!
HOW TO MAKE SKINNY DUNKAROO DIP
- Combine the cream cheese, rainbow cake mix, protein powder, sweetener, vanilla, and stevia in the bowl of a standing mixer on low until smooth. It will take a couple of minutes. You can also do this in a mixing bowl with a hand mixer.
- Taste the batter and add more sweetener if desired.
- Fold in the sprinkles until evenly distributed in the dip.
Store in the fridge for 1-2 hours or in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving. The longer it sits, the more the flavors come together and the better it is! For BEST results, I would recommend making a day in advance and letting it set in the fridge overnight. Serve with dippers like animal crackers, frosted animal cookies, pretzels, apples, graham crackers, or cookies!
HOW TO HEAT TREAT CAKE MIX
I typically don’t bother heat-treating my cake mix, but I am making that decision aware and informed of the potential risks of consuming raw flour. If you are concerned about any potential bacteria, follow the instructions below to heat treat.
Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Heat it in 30-second intervals in the microwave until the cake mix temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Mix with a spoon between intervals. Each microwave is different, but mine takes around 3 intervals.
WHAT TO USE FOR DIPPING
The possibilities of dipping ingredients are endless here. You can use fruit, cookies, crackers…here are some of my favorites:
- Animal cookies – A classic! It’s the perfect cookie for this dip. And it looks so cute with it!
- Frosted animal cookies – Throw a couple of these in for an extra sweet treat!
- Oreos or Golden Oreos – Yes, I know there’s already icing inside. But there’s none on the outside. 😉
- Honey or chocolate graham crackers – So sweet and crunchy.
- Pretzels – Yes, salty options work, too!
- Teddy Grahams – These cute little guys are fun to scoop with.
- Sliced apples or strawberries – Fresh fruit and this dip? So dreamy!
Don’t forget that you can combine savory and sweet options to maximize the possibilities here!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: DUNKAROO DIP
Can you make this Dunkaroo Dip ahead of time?
This Dunkaroo Dip Recipe is actually best when made ahead! The dip needs time to sit in the refrigerator. It is perfect when made the night before. At a minimum, I suggest keeping it in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. This allows it to come to the perfect temperature, and also allows the flavors to come together.
Is this dip better with cream cheese or Greek yogurt?
I honestly love this dip with both. The yogurt version is slightly less rich and little thinner, making it easier to dip things in. The cream cheese version is thicker and richer. Just depends on your preference I think!
Is it safe to eat raw cake mix?
It’s a small amount, and I am personally okay with eating it. However, it does contain raw flour. If you are nervous about consuming, follow the instructions above to heat treat cake mix.
What is heat treating?
Heat treating means applying heat to kill bacteria. You’ll want to do this with raw flour, which is found in cake mix. However, we use such a little amount in this recipe that I typically don’t heat treat the cake mix.
Can I use this Dunkaroo Dip as a frosting?
Absolutely! Spread on a piece of banana or pumpkin bread, sandwich it between some cookies, or use it on top of some muffins or cupcakes. What a great idea!
MORE SWEET DIPS
- HEALTHY BROWNIE BATTER
- HEALTHY PUMPKIN COOKIE DOUGH DIP
- SKINNY PUMPKIN PIE DIP
- CARAMEL PECAN DESSERT CHEESE BALL
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this skinny dunkaroo dip and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
- 8- oz. fat-free cream cheese softened – reduced-fat and dairy-free cream cheese work too
- 1/2 cup rainbow cake mix 64g
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp vanilla protein powder 45g
- 1/4 cup monk fruit sweetener or sugar 48g*
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp liquid stevia** or more granular sweetener until desired sweetness
- 2 Tbsp rainbow sprinkles 24g
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Combine the cream cheese, rainbow cake mix, protein powder, sweetener, vanilla, and stevia in the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) until smooth. This took a couple of minutes on low.
- Test the batter and add more sweetener, if desired. Fold in the sprinkles until evenly distributed in the dip.
- Store in the fridge for 1-2 hours or in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving. The longer it sits, the more the flavors come together, and the better it is! Best if made a day in advance and stored in the fridge overnight.
- Serve with dippers like animal crackers, pretzels, apples, graham crackers, or cookies!
- Per 1/4 cup (55g) – 152 calories 12.6C | 7.2F | 9.1P
- MFP entry: Skinny Dunkaroo Dip with RF
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.