Meet your new favorite breakfast meal prep! No but really… it doesn’t get better than these super easy to make, hella macro-friendly sausage & cheese burritos! Freezer friendly and perfect for the on-the-go. Take these burritos to the NEXT LEVEL by crisping the outside up in the air fryer for 5 minutes!
Only 10 minutes and a few simple steps for this healthy breakfast burrito recipe! And the you have breakfast for the entire week! Pop them in the fridge for a week of easy breakfasts. Or you can even freeze them to pull out when you need a quick and healthy breakfast!
I love eating these breakfast burritos alongside some fresh fruit or yogurt. You could also serve them with chicken or turkey sausage links, bacon, hash browns, Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes, sweet potatoes or for a lower carb option – Air Fryer Broccoli.
If you are gluten free, just make sure you use gluten-free tortillas. If you want to make these breakfast burritos dairy free, just use your favorite dairy free cheese.
To make it a vegetarian breakfast burrito, omit the sausage or swap it out tofu for a tofu scramble. You could even use refried beans or black beans instead! Throw in some red peppers or spinach for an extra punch of fresh veggies! You could even add a little greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream as a topping. Add hot sauce for a little extra spice!
If turkey sausage isn’t your thing, you can replace with chorizo, bacon, hashbrowns, really whatever! This recipe is super customizable depending on your preferences. It is one of those recipes that you will love having in your back pocket because it hits the spot every time!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE HEALTHY BREAKFAST BURRITOS
- An AMAZING meal prep recipe – easy to prepare a large batch
- It’s the best breakfast to look forward to. Seriously.
- Freezer-friendly! Pull these breakfast burritos out of the freezer when you need a quick and healthy breakfast.
- Perfect hot grab-and-go breakfast on busy mornings!
- Much more cost effective than fast food.
- Protein packed + macro balanced. Hearty breakfast that leaves you feeling good and satisfied.
- Turkey sausage– I used Jennie-O. You can also use chorizo, pre-cooked turkey crumbles or bacon.
- Egg whites
- Seasonings – Grab some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Tortillas – I used Misson Carb Balance Flour Tortillas.
- Cheese – I used Laughing Cow light cheese wedges for this recipe, but a lot of times I’ll use sliced or shredded cheese too. Really any and every type of cheese is good here.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BREAKFAST BURRITOS
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set to medium heat. When warm, add the turkey sausage. Cook, breaking into crumbles with a wooden spoon as you go, until mostly browned.
- Then add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are tender and all meat is browned. Drain any excess liquid at this point before adding eggs to prevent a soggy burrito! Briefly set pan aside and away from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and all the seasonings. Set the pan back on medium heat and add the egg mixture. Keep stirring until eggs are scrambled then remove from heat.
- Place the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Then lay out all the warm tortillas on your counter.
- Spread half of each laughing cow cheese wedge in the middle of the tortillas in a 2-inch line, leaving 1-inch on each end. Scoop the scrambled egg mixture on top (about 118g each) and then fold up like a burrito.
- Wrap the burrito up tightly in tin foil and place in a large ziplock bag. Store in the fridge or freezer (see notes)
HOW TO STORE
You can store these delicious burritos in the fridge or freezer! Typically I’ll keep them stored in the fridge because we go through them fast (Simon usually eats two at a time and I’ll eat one with a side). But if you don’t think you’ll get through them all in a week, go ahead and freeze some!
To store in fridge: Wrap burrito up tightly in foil or plastic wrap and place in a large ziplock bag or airtight container for 5-7 days.
To freeze: Do the same as above, just make sure to wrap the burritos tightly in aluminum foil and remove as much air as possible from the ziplock freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.
If stored in the fridge, these burritos will stay fresh for 5-6 days.
Stored in the freezer, these burritos will last 3-4 months.
HOW TO REHEAT
If frozen: place frozen breakfast burritos in the fridge overnight to defrost.
From the fridge:
- Air fry for 4-6 minutes at 375F (recommended!)
- Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 375F
- Switch out the tortilla: Sub the tortilla for a biscuit, toast, bagel, or English muffin.
- Sweet potatoes: Skip the tortillas all together? Try servings the sausage and egg mixture over roasted sweet potatoes.
- Give it a kick: Add a little extra flavor and spice! Throw in a little bit of jalapeño pepper or red pepper flakes for a little extra kick!
- Make gluten-free: use gluten-free or corn tortillas.
- Make dairy-free: use dairy-free cheese.
- Make it vegetarian: Try subbing some tofu or beans (refried beans, black beans, and pinto beans would all work great!) for the sausage or omit completely.
FAQ: HEALTHY BREAKFAST BURRITOS
To reheat these burritos, you can use the air fryer, microwave, or oven.
-Air fry for 4-6 minutes at 375F (recommended!)
-Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds
-Bake for 10-15 minutes at 375F
If your burritos are frozen, I recommend putting them in the fridge overnight to defrost before reheating them.
I love eating these breakfast burritos alongside some fresh fruit or yogurt! You could also serve them with chicken or turkey sausage links, bacon, hash browns, Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes, sweet potatoes or for a lower carb option – Air Fryer Broccoli.
No worries! I’ve been there too. Just defrost your burrito in the microwave first. Remove foil and place burrito on a plate. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave at 50% power for one minute, then flip and microwave for another minute. I would then recommend throwing in the air fryer for about 5 minutes at 375F after you microwave to get the outside a little crispy! It’s so good this way! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can broil for a few minutes in the oven.
Sure! If you want to use all eggs, just whisk 12 large eggs in a bowl and omit the egg whites.
If you wish to just use egg whites (no eggs), omit the eggs and use 1 heaping cup (250g) egg whites.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these healthy breakfast burritos and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram or Tik Tok, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Do you use a whole laughing cheese or use half of it? I noticed recipe uses 8 tortillas and 4 laughing cheese wedges. Instructions doesn’t specify
Hi Petrina, for this recipe I used half of it for each tortilla. Just tweaked the recipe card to include that! I do use a whole one sometimes though. They’re so low calorie you could add a whole one and it wouldn’t change the nutrition much. Just depends on how cheesy you want them 🙂