This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
Macro-balanced, customizable, and full of flavor, these healthy breakfast tacos are the perfect breakfast for busy mornings! Or any day of the week really!! They are seriously one of the most delicious, easy breakfasts you will make!
This breakfast tacos recipe is a great make ahead breakfast for days where you’re in the mood for something savory and more hearty. Make these ahead of time in just 10 minutes! 10 MINUTES, FRIENDS!!
Then, pop them in the fridge for a week of easy breakfasts, or you can even freeze them to pull out when you need a quick and healthy breakfast!
This high-protein breakfast taco recipe is SO customizable depending on your preferences and nutrient goals. Please feel free to get creative and make it your own here!
Why You’ll Love These High Protein Breakfast Tacos
- A great meal prep recipe- super easy to prepare in a large batch!
- Simple, healthy ingredients, and just takes 10 minutes to prepare!
- Freezer-friendly! Pull these breakfast burritos out of the freezer when you need a quick and healthy breakfast!
- Best way to enjoy a hot grab-and-go breakfast!
- Much more cost effective than fast food.
- Protein packed + macro balanced!
- Hearty breakfast option that leaves you feeling satisfied.
- Tortillas– I used Mission carb balance flour tortillas.
- Sausage– I used turkey sausage.
- Onion- I used a yellow onion. You could also you white or red onions here- use your favorite!
- Egg Whites
- Cheese– I used shredded 2% cheddar cheese.
- Seasonings– Grab some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Switch out the tortilla: Sub the tortilla for a biscuit, toast, bagel, or English muffin!
- Sweet potatoes: Skip the tortillas all together? Try servings the sausage and egg mixture over sweet potatoes!
- Give it a kick: Add a little extra flavor and spice! Throw in some bell pepper or a little bit of jalapeño pepper for a little extra kick!
- Make it vegetarian: Try subbing some tofu or beans (refried beans, black beans, and pinto beans would all work great!) for the sausage or omit completely.
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. (You can also use olive oil). Add the onions and sausage and saute for a minute or two.
2. On medium heat, whisk in the eggs, egg whites, seasonings, salt and pepper.
3. Stir frequently until eggs are cooked. Then fold in the shredded cheese at the end. Taste and add more salt or seasonings to taste.
4. Add 1/8 of the egg mixture (105g) to each tortilla. Serve with favorite salsa, pico de gallo, guac, greek yogurt, sour cream, or any other favorite sauces!
Wrap each tortilla individually in heavy-duty aluminum foil, wax paper, or parchment paper and place them in a freezer safe zip lock bag. Remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 1 month. Refrigerate for up to a week.
Can I freeze these breakfast tacos?
Yes! Just let tacos cool completely. Then wrap tightly in foil and place them in a freezer safe zip lock bag. Remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 1 month.
What should I serve with these high protein breakfast tacos?
These sausage, egg and cheese tacos pair well some fresh fruit or greek yogurt for extra protein! I love making a batch of my Rainbow Fruit Salad to serve alongside these savory breakfast tacos!
Can I make these tacos in advance?
Yes, these breakfast tacos are a great meal prep breakfast recipe! To reheat, place tacos in the air fryer at 350 F for 3-4 minutes or reheat in a covered skillet until warm.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes To Try
- 8 small flour tortillas I used Mission carb balance
- 1 cup turkey sausage crumbles (114g)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (135g) finely diced
- 3 large eggs
- 1.5 cups egg whites (360g)
- 1 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 3/4 cup 2% cheddar cheese (84g)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the onions and sausage and saute for a minute or two.
- Whisk in the eggs, egg whites, seasonings, salt and pepper. Stir frequently until eggs are cooked. Then fold in the shredded cheese at the end. Taste and add more salt or seasonings to taste.
- Add 1/8 of the mixture (105g) to each tortilla.
- Optional step: Spray a clean skillet with cooking spray and sear each side of the taco for 1-2 minutes to give it a nice char, make the tortilla firmer and hold it in place better.
- Serve with salsa, guac or your favorite sauce and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.