This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
You guys are gonna swoon over this low carb Chicken Broccoli Casserole dish! It’s meaty, cheesy, and packed with delicious veggies and garlic and herb flavor for a voluminous and healthy meal. Comfort food made healthy for you! It’s also perfect if you need a keto chicken broccoli casserole.
I love an easy recipe on a busy weeknight. And I love making casseroles because you can basically throw in your favorite ingredients and feed the whole family!
Also a great one to make for yourself or you and your partner for meal prep all week long! They make dinner time easy, which we love. This one only takes 30 minutes in the oven and is a great recipe for the whole family!
Besides how delicious this dish low-carb chicken broccoli casserole is, my favorite part is that one serving is HUGE. It’s packed with so many veggies that you can load your plate and still not have to worry too much about calories or carbs.
It’s low in both calories and carbs. Which means room for a side of some bread, like my Honey Butter Yeast Rolls, or an extra, fun dessert later! 😉
You will quickly find this easy chicken broccoli casserole going in your dinner rotation. Give it a go! If you’re looking for more easy dinner casseroles, try my Baked Spaghetti Squash Casserole or my Rotini Pasta Bake!
Why You’ll Love This Low Carb Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Comes together in just 30 minutes! 🙌🏼
- Packed with yummy veggies and protein to keep you satisfied for hours.
- So voluminous! One serving is HUGE!
- It’s creamy, hearty, and rich in garlic and herb flavor!
- Great for meal prep.
- Casseroles are always a great and delicious idea!
- Broccoli florets- I used frozen, steamable to keep it easy! You can also use fresh broccoli if you prefer! You want tender broccoli but not too soft that is falls apart because it will cook a little more in the oven.
- Onion – Adds such yummy flavor.
- Mushrooms – If you don’t like mushrooms, feel free to add your favorite veggie. I think bell peppers, squash, or carrots would taste good too.
- Olive oil – Helps keep our food from sticking and adds great taste.
- Cooked chicken breasts- You can cook your own chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the store. Canned chicken would also work! I love making my Basic Shredded Chicken in the Crockpot for this recipe! It makes the most juicy chicken!
- Flour – I used all-purpose flour to help make the creamy sauce. If you’re gluten-free, use Bob Red Mill’s Gluten-free 1:1 Baking Flour or another similar gluten-free flour. We want to avoid using almond flour, oat flour or another flour with a more distinct taste. I haven’t tried with whole wheat flour, but I feel like that one is similar enough to all-purpose flour that it would work alright.
- Milk – I used fat-free milk. You can use what you like here. Just make sure it’s PLAIN. Heavy cream is a great option if you don’t mind the higher fat content! Dairy-free milk works too.
- Light mayonnaise – Helps create the creamy sauce. I really recommend the mayonnaise. Mayo is dairy-free but if any mayo variation (vegan mayo, avocado mayo) also work. If you must sub, my best recommendation would be to try with sour cream.
- Salt and pepper – Add these to taste!
- Ranch seasoning mix – MY FAVORITE to pair with chicken and broccoli. It’s so good. But you can replace with whatever seasonings you wish here. You can also do a simple mix of garlic powder and onion powder!
- Shredded cheese – I used 2% cheddar cheese, but you can use your favorite kind of cheese! Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese would also be great!
How To Make
The full printable recipe is below, but let me walk you through the process so you know what to expect when you’re making it!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13″ dish with cooking spray. Begin by preparing the veggies. Cook broccoli in the microwave according to package directions and drain once done; set aside. Wash mushrooms and dry well and dice your onions.
Step 2: In a large skillet, add the olive oil and set to medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions.
Step 3: Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Drain any liquid if needed.
Step 4: Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir until the flour is evenly dispersed.
Step 5: Then add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes.
Step 6: Once the mixture has thickened, remove from heat.
Step 7: In a very large bowl, add the yogurt, mayonnaise, ranch seasoning mix, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
Step 8:Then add the mushroom mixture, broccoli, and chicken. Stir until everything is mixed together well.
Step 9: Add the mixture to the prepared dish.
Step 10: Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
Step 11: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it becomes bubbly around the edges.
Step 12: Let cool for few minutes then dig in and enjoy!
Let the casserole cool to room temperate. Then, seal tightly in an airtight Ziploc bag. The casserole will stay fresh 3-4 months.
Does this recipe call for cooked or raw chicken?
Use cooked chicken! You can cook your own chicken beforehand or use an already cooked chicken from the grocery store for convenience. Canned chicken would work as well.
Can I use something other than chicken breast for this recipe?
Sure! You use chicken thighs if you’d like! You can even use ground chicken, turkey or really any protein you like. Using chicken thighs with higher fat content is perfect is you are following a keto diet!
What should I serve with this broccoli and chicken casserole?
I would serve with a warm biscuit, cauliflower rice, green beans or side salad as a side dish! You could even sauté up a veggie that didn’t make it into the dish and serve it on the side. Whatever you enjoy!
Is this casserole good for meal prep?
Absolutely! It’s great way to make ahead early in the week and pull out for dinner. We do it often! I love eating this casserole the next day for a quick and easy lunch as well!
More Delicious Casseroles To Try
- 24 oz. frozen steam-able broccoli I used two 12-oz. bags
- 1 large yellow onion (220g) diced
- 24 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (15g)
- 4 cups cooked chicken (460g) cubed or shredded*
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (45g)
- 2.5 cups fat free milk (600g) or milk of choice
- 1.5 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt (340g)
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise (120g)
- 1 Tbsp ranch seasoning mix (7g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese (112g)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13" dish with cooking spray.
- Begin by preparing the veggies. Cook broccoli in the microwave according to package directions and drain once done; set aside. Wash mushrooms and dry well and dice your onions.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and set to medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Drain any liquid if needed.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir until the flour is evenly dispersed. Then add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a very large bowl, add the yogurt, mayonnaise, ranch seasoning mix, salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Then add the mushroom mixture, broccoli, and chicken. Stir until everything is mixed together well, then add it to the prepared dish and sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until it becomes bubbly around the edges.
- Let cool for few minutes then dig in and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.