This Healthy Cheesy Southwest Hashbrown Casserole is filled with savory hashbrowns and sausage and tons of veggies. Each serving is under 300 calories and oh so delicious!
A southwestern breakfast is my favorite kind of breakfast. 😍 I love the subtle spice and hearty flavor! That’s why this Healthy Cheesy Southwest Hashbrown Casserole is one of my go-to meals. It’s true comfort food that doesn’t feel heavy. And it’s full of fresh veggies like bell pepper, onion, and spinach, hearty potato and sausage crumbles, and melty cheese!
This southwestern casserole is also healthy for you! One huge serving is filled with vegetables, lean protein, and carbs—and is under 300 calories. But no one would ever know!
Make this incredibly flavorful dish for your breakfast this weekend or add it to your next meal prep routine. It’s even perfect for on-the-go breakfast because it’s not messy to eat!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SOUTHWEST HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
- Shredded potatoes + sausage + cheese = 😍
- A well balanced comfort meal
- So crazy delicious!!
- One serving is 1/6 of a casserole dish! It’s huge!
- Less than 300 calories per serving
- Perfect for weekend breakfast or meal prep
- SO EASY to make!!
- Shredded hashbrowns – I used Simply Potatoes. Any kind works.
- Turkey crumbles – I used the pre-cooked Butterball crumbles. You could also substitute Italian sausage, bacon or ground beef.
- Bell pepper – Any color works, but red is fun to keep with the southwest theme!
- Minced garlic
- Baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Cottage cheese – I used low-fat cottage cheese.
- Egg whites
- Shredded cheese – I used a mixture of cheddar cheese and mozzarella. Any kind works.
HOW TO MAKE SOUTHWEST HASHRBOWN CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13” casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and set to medium-high heat. Then, add diced onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add the spinach and cook until slightly wilted. Transfer veggies to a large bowl.
- Spray the same pan with cooking spray again and add the hashbrowns. Cook for a few minutes. Then, season with seasoned salt and pepper to taste. I used 2 tsp seasoned salt.
- Add the hashbrowns, pre-cooked turkey sausage, and cottage cheese to the bowl with the vegetables. Stir well until combined.
- Add the mixture to the casserole dish. Pour egg whites on top. Then, top it off with the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Top with hot sauce, ketchup or mustard, if desired, and enjoy!
No, it doesn’t. Feel free to use whatever you like!
I recommend topping your meal with hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, or even salsa and sour cream! How delicious!
Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
MORE DELICIOUS BREAKFAST RECIPES
- HEALTHY SAUSAGE GRAVY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- BLUEBERRY SAUSAGE PANCAKE BREAKFAST BAKE
- HAM AND CHEESE BREAKFAST BAKE
- EGG WHITE AND SPINACH BREAKFAST CRUNCHWRAPS
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Healthy Cheesy Southwest Hashbrown Casserole and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!