Whip up my healthier take on the ultimate breakfast comfort food with just 3 ingredients! This Biscuits and Gravy Casserole will quickly become a family favorite. No one will be able to tell it’s lightened-up and protein packed!
Biscuits and gravy is a true Southern classic and, in my humble opinion, one of the best comfort foods known to man! 😂 So as the temperature began to drop, I knew I needed to recreate a healthier version to enjoy any time I wanted.
This Biscuits and Gravy Casserole is light and hearty. To lighten it up from traditional biscuit and gravy recipes, I used lean ground turkey instead of sausage. I also chose to cut the biscuits into smaller pieces so they spread further, giving the illusion that we’re eating more!
The best part? You only need 3 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time to bring this dish to life! I’m all about convenience and trying to make a recipe as easy as possible while keeping it delicious tasting over here at Lauren Fit Foodie. Easy, healthy, and delicious is my motto—and this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole fits the bill! It’ll become a family breakfast favorite—and you can even make it the night before if you wish.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE
- It’s comfort food to its core!
- Lightened up from your traditional biscuits & gravy recipe and packed with protein.
- All you need are 3 ingredients! That’s it!
- Prep this dish in just 10 minutes and pop in the oven to bake.
- Such a crowd pleaser and yummy breakfast! Everyone is guaranteed to love this dish.
- Ground turkey – I used 99% lean ground turkey to help keep this recipe light. You could use another percentage of ground turkey, ground chicken, or even crumbled sausage!
- Sausage flavor country gravy mix – You could also use any other country gravy mix, but I really love the sausage flavor. I used a mix from McCormick’s.
- Canned biscuits – I used Pillsbury 5-ct. Homestyle Biscuits.
HOW TO MAKE BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, add the ground turkey. Cook on medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon as you go.
- While the turkey cooks, prepare the country gravy according to package directions.
- Add the cooked ground turkey to the bottom of your baking dish. Then, pour the sausage gravy over top. Stir so the turkey and gravy are dispersed evenly. Cut each biscuit into four pieces and layer on top of the turkey and gravy mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops of biscuits are golden brown.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE
Most definitely! Ground chicken, crumbled sausage, and even crumbled vegan sausage will work perfectly in this recipe.
Yes! To make beforehand, cook and prepare the ground turkey and gravy. Assemble the ingredients in the baking dish and top with the biscuits. Then, cover everything with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Because the casserole will be cold when you bake it, you’ll need to add about 20 minutes to the cooking time. All ovens cook just a bit differently, so you will just need to watch it to ensure nothing burns or undercooks.
You don’t need to, but this was something I did to keep the dish lower in calories. If that isn’t a concern for you, feel free to grab an additional can of biscuits and use as many as you’d like!
I recommend eating alongside some fluffy scrambled eggs. For breakfast, you could also enjoy with waffles or pancakes. If you want to eat this for lunch or dinner, try it alongside some chicken!
Yes! That is the idea. Make ahead to enjoy during the week!
MORE EASY BREAKFAST BAKES
- BLUEBERRY SAUSAGE PANCAKE BREAKFAST BAKE
- HAM AND CHEESE BREAKFAST BAKE
- UPSIDE DOWN EGG WHITE PIZZA
- HEALTHY SAUSAGE GRAVY EGG WHITE PIZZA
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!