This Cheddar & Chicken Sausage Crescent Roll Breakfast Pizza is a spin off of one of my favorites – THE egg white pizza! So you know it’s good!! The bold cheddar cheese and savory chicken sausage pair perfect together and add a little more protein from the original. Ready in 30 minutes and perfect for breakfast prep!
Pure comfort food in breakfast form! With hearty chicken sausage, fluffy crescent rolls and melty cheddar cheese there is no wonder this breakfast pizza is a heart throb. And the best part is, it’s ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
This easy breakfast pizza recipe is packed with protein and made with only 5 ingredients. It’s been lightened up a little bit from traditional breakfast casseroles in that we’re using egg whites and chicken sausage. Absolutely nothing wrong with eggs (I LOVE my eggs). But using egg whites helps reduce fat and calories significantly. And since we’re using all these other yummy ingredients that steal the show, I promise you won’t even miss them.
But going off of that, this is an easy one to modify. Whether you want to modify the protein or fat, or just if you want to use different ingredients. I’ll include some different ways to modify this easy breakfast recipe below!
Also, this crescent roll breakfast pizza is a great option for meal prep! Make a big batch at the beginning of the week, store in the fridge, and reheat when ready to eat. Keep reading for my best tips on reheating. But let me just tell you now, you absolutely MUST try this pizza reheated in the air fryer!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE
- A spin off of one of my favorite breakfast recipes – THE Upside Down Cheesy Garlic Egg White Pizza!
- Just 5 ingredients! All easy staples that can be found at your local grocery store.
- Ready in 30 minutes. QUICK and EASY to make!
- It’s lightened-up, protein-packed, and macro-friendly!
- Kid-friendly – an everybody-friendly actually, one to add to your list of family favorites!
- BREAKFAST COMFORT FOOD. Enough said.
- Great weekend breakfast OR meal prep option – amazing for weekend breakfast with the family or to prep in advance and enjoy all week!
- Crescent rolls – I used Pillsbury crescent roll dough.
- Egg whites – I used egg whites from the carton. You can also use fresh egg whites or whole eggs. See the FAQ section below for my recommendations on swapping for whole eggs.
- Cheese – I used freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Mozzarella cheese and pepper jack would also work well! I would highly recommend freshly shredded cheese here (it will be the most cheesiest that way!), but technically you can use any cheese here!
- Chicken sausage – I used Jones Dairy Farm, which is similar to Applegate’s, just a little cheaper. You could also use a turkey, pork breakfast sausage or any type of cooked sausage. Or omit completely to make this pizza vegetarian.
- Ranch seasoning – Ranch seasoning mix brings delicious flavor that complements all the other ingredients so well! But you can also use onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper in its place.
HOW TO MAKE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13″ baking dish or cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- For the crescent roll crust, open can of crescent dough and place along the bottom of the dish or baking sheet. Press down to spread and even out along the bottom and part of the sides of the dish. Try to seal the seams as much as possible.
- In a medium sized bowl, add egg whites and ranch seasoning. Briefly whisk egg whites to mix in the season and to fluff them up. Alternatively, you can just shake egg white cartons to fluff the egg whites up and pour over top the crescent rolls, then sprinkle the ranch seasoning overtop.
- Pour egg mixture over crescent rolls. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until egg whites have fully cooked and crescent rolls are starting to get golden brown.
- Take out, sprinkle cheese and sliced sausage on top and place back in the oven. Bake for a few more minutes just so the cheese can melt. Add additional toppings such as green onions if desired.
VARIATIONS AND MODIFICATIONS
- Increase the protein: Add more egg whites or serve alongside egg whites or eggs. Or you can add more chicken sausage (or serve alongside more chicken sausage).
- Decrease the fat: Use reduced-fat cheddar cheese, or use less cheese. Using reduced-fat crescent roll sheets will also lighten this up a smidge.
- Change up the protein: Instead of chicken sausage, you can use turkey sausage, pork sausage, diced ham or crispy bacon!
- Add vegetables: By all means, pile the veggies on top! A great way to get some extra fiber in. Bell peppers, onions, cooked broccoli, really anything goes!
- Change up the cheese: Cheddar goes amazing with chicken sausage but feel free to get creative here! Mozzarella, white cheddar cheese, Colby jack would all be AMAZING!
HOW TO STORE
Store leftover crescent roll breakfast pizza in an airtight container or with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 5-6 days.
HOW TO REHEAT
- In the air fryer. I highly recommend this method if you have an air fryer! It gets the pizza crust little crispy on the outside but stays doughy in the middle, with all the same savory and cheesy flavors as before. It is perfection! Just reheat in the air fryer at 350F for 4-6 minutes, or until desired crispness.
- In the oven. If you don’t have an air fryer, the oven is your next best bet! You can do it on broil until it starts to get brown (preferred) or just reheat at 400F until desired temperature is reached.
- In the microwave. The microwave doesn’t get the pizza as crisp as the later two, but it still reheats well. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until it’s warmed through.
FAQ: CRESCENT ROLL BREAKFAST PIZZA
Sure! To use eggs instead of egg whites, whisk 12 large eggs into a large bowl with the ranch seasoning mix (or the salt, onion powder, garlic powder). Pour over the crescent rolls and follow along according to the rest of the recipe card.
It holds up great in the fridge and reheats wonderfully, so yes, it works amazing for meal prep!
Keep stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for 5-6 days.
I highly recommend reheating in the air fryer. The crispy outside and doughy middle is SO GOOD, but the oven and microwave work great for reheating, too. I have all the recommend times and temperatures above and in the recipe card, so give those a peep!
This pizza is great on it’s own, or paired alongside a protein (such as chicken or turkey sausage, bacon, or eggs/egg whites). It’s also delicious paired with some additional greens, like arugula, or Air Fryer Broccoli. And you can never go wrong with a side of fruit!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Cheddar Chicken Sausage Crescent Roll Breakfast Pizza and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Easy Cheddar Chicken Sausage Crescent Roll Breakfast Pizza
- 1 8-oz. package crescent rolls
- 2.5 cup egg whites 600g
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese 84g
- 4 links chicken sausage sliced – I used Jones Dairy Farm (similar to Applegate)
- 1 Tbsp ranch seasoning or 1 tsp of EACH: onion powder, garlic powder, salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Open crescent rolls and place along the bottom of the dish. Press down to spread and even out along the bottom and part of the sides of the dish. Try to seal the seams as much as possible.
- In a medium sized bowl, add egg whites and ranch seasoning. Briefly whisk egg whites to mix in the season and to fluff them up.
- Alternatively, you can just shake egg white cartons to fluff the egg whites up and pour over top the crescent rolls, then sprinkle the ranch seasoning overtop.
- Pour egg whites over crescent rolls. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until egg whites have fully cooked and crescent rolls are starting to turn golden brown.
- Take out, sprinkle with the shredded cheese and sliced sausage and place back in the oven. Bake for a few more minutes just so the cheese can melt.
This is my favorite egg white pizza flavor so far! I used a spicy cheddar and jalapeno chicken sausage and woah, it was so good! Reheating in the air fryer is a must.
Just when you think upside down egg white pizza can’t get better, Lauren creates this! Yum!
Aw thank you for commenting Lisa! I know, this is such a yummy variation right!? Love the extra protein it has!