This Healthy Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Crumb Topping is my new favorite dessert! It’s wonderfully and warmly spiced with cozy fall flavors and has the most perfect soft, moist, tender and crumbly texture. It seriously makes for the most epic healthy fall breakfast, snack or dessert!
Tis the season for pumpkin spice lattes and all things pumpkin. My favorite season with the BEST recipes – It’s pumpkin season baby!!
Which also means is baking season, and I have the PERFECT fall recipe for you guys!
Seriously. This Healthy Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake recipe. It’s it. Like, I was expecting this cake to be good, but it completely blew me out of the water! It’s simple yet packs so many delicious flavors and textures in each bite. I can’t get enough!!
It’s a twist on classic coffee cake with a moist and tender texture, pumpkin pie essences and beautiful color! And the brown sugar streusel topping is amazingly sweet, buttery and crumbly! With those two alone, this healthy pumpkin cake is INCREDIBLE, but then we take it to the next level by drizzling some confectioner’s sugar glaze on top!
And it’s been lightened up by using healthier ingredients to keep calories down with absolutely NO sacrifice in delicious pumpkin flavor. Seriously this one is insane y’all! Does not taste lightened up for a second.
A QUICK NOTE ON USING OIL
You’ll notice there is still oil in this cake. You don’t have to go all or nothing when it comes to “eating healthier.” If this cake didn’t have any oil, it would not taste as good! And it’s seriously freaking good.
Instead, we just use a smaller amount so we can still get flavor and texture, but at a fraction of the carbs, fats, and calories. Same with the butter! Don’t try replacing the real butter used in the streusel topping for light butter—it won’t work to make the crumble!
For best results, always follow the instructions as written.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HEALTHY PUMPKIN COFFFE CAKE
- The most epic fall recipe (dare I say) EVER!!!
- So simple and quick to prepare.
- Each slice is just 188 calories!
- The most tender cake and the perfect fall treat for your sweet tooth!
- The most delicious breakfast, lunch, or snack!
- Easy to make gluten-free, dairy-free, or vegan.
- Everyone will absolutely FLIP over this one, I guarantee it!!
INGREDIENT LIST FOR HEALTHY PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
- Flour – All-purpose or 1:1 gluten-free flour work best here! I recommend Bob Red Mill’s 1:1 or King Arthur’s measure for measure if using gluten-free flour. I have not tested this recipe with almond flour, oat flour, or whole grain flour, so i’m not sure if they’ll work. You can definitely try! Just note that it won’t have the same ‘bakery taste’ as it does when you use normal all purpose flour. A better option to regular whole wheat flour would be white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour. I would not recommend using coconut flour for this recipe.
- Protein Powder – I use PEScience Vanilla or Snickerdoodle. Use my code Laurenfitfoodie to save 10% on your purchase. If you need to sub, please make sure it is a protein powder you know bakes well, ideally a whey + casein blend.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sweeteners – I used Swerve Granular and Brown Sugar Sweetener. You could use monk fruit, coconut sugar, whatever sweetener you fancy here!
- Canned pumpkin – not pumpkin pie mix, canned pumpkin is unsweetened.
- Canola oil – or melted coconut oil, vegetable oil, olive oil, avocado oil
- Milk – I used unsweetened almond milk. You can use any milk of your choice.
- Butter – cold butter to make the crumble. Do not use light butter for this!
- Confectioners sugar – I used Swerve.
- Vanilla extract – optional.
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN COFFFE CAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR CRUMB TOPPING
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×9-inch cake pan or baking dish with nonstick spray and/or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour through brown sugar). Whisk well to combine.
- To the same bowl, add the wet ingredients (pumpkin, oil, and milk). Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on high speed to combine. Pumpkin cake batter will be thick. Transfer the pumpkin mixture to the dish and spread the top out to ensure even baking.*
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel topping ingredients. Mash/stir with a fork until mixed together well. You can also use a food processor to combine. Sprinkle streusel mix over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean. For a more moist cake, take out when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly but not completely clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 or minutes. Then, in a zigzag motion, drizzle the glaze across the cake.
*Good no mess/fuss trick! You can spray a sheet of parchment paper with cooking spray and press down to even out the top. (Again, which is important to ensure even baking.)
HOW TO STORE PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
Wrap Pumpkin Coffee Cake tightly in plastic wrap or store in an air tight container. Keep at room temperature for 3-4 days or refrigerated for 5-6 days.
HEALTHY PUMPKIN COFFFE CAKE Q&A
This healthier coffee cake recipe is gluten-free as written as long as you use gluten-free flour!
Yes, it’s super easy to make a vegan coffee cake! Just use vegan butter and a plant-based protein powder.
Sure! I added it for fun, but it most definitely is still delicious without it.
Nope, they will remain the same since I used Swerve for the glaze. Read more about why I don’t track artificial sweeteners here.
VARIATIONS AND TIPS
- Pumpkin coffee cake muffins – Instead of using a 9×9″ circle or square pan, add pumpkin batter to a greased muffin tin.
- Make a vanilla glaze – Instead of a normal sugary glaze, add vanilla to the make it a vanilla glaze!
- Enjoy for an afternoon treat with a hot cup of coffee.
- Serve with ice cream for the most cozy night time dessert.
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Pumpkin Coffee Cake and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!