This Healthy Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Crumb Topping is my new favorite dessert! It’s wonderfully and warmly spiced with cozy fall flavors and has the most perfect soft, moist, tender and crumbly texture. It seriously makes for the most epic healthy fall breakfast, snack or dessert!
Tis the season for pumpkin spice lattes and all things pumpkin. My favorite season with the BEST recipes – It’s pumpkin season baby!!
Which also means is baking season, and I have the PERFECT fall recipe for you guys!
Seriously. This Healthy Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake recipe. It’s it. Like, I was expecting this cake to be good, but it completely blew me out of the water! It’s simple yet packs so many delicious flavors and textures in each bite. I can’t get enough!!
It’s a twist on classic coffee cake with a moist and tender texture, pumpkin pie essences and beautiful color! And the brown sugar streusel topping is amazingly sweet, buttery and crumbly! With those two alone, this healthy pumpkin cake is INCREDIBLE, but then we take it to the next level by drizzling some confectioner’s sugar glaze on top!
And it’s been lightened up by using healthier ingredients to keep calories down with absolutely NO sacrifice in delicious pumpkin flavor. Seriously this one is insane y’all! Does not taste lightened up for a second.
A QUICK NOTE ON USING OIL
You’ll notice there is still oil in this cake. You don’t have to go all or nothing when it comes to “eating healthier.” If this cake didn’t have any oil, it would not taste as good! And it’s seriously freaking good.
Instead, we just use a smaller amount so we can still get flavor and texture, but at a fraction of the carbs, fats, and calories. Same with the butter! Don’t try replacing the real butter used in the streusel topping for light butter—it won’t work to make the crumble!
For best results, always follow the instructions as written.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HEALTHY PUMPKIN COFFFE CAKE
- The most epic fall recipe (dare I say) EVER!!!
- So simple and quick to prepare.
- Each slice is just 188 calories!
- The most tender cake and the perfect fall treat for your sweet tooth!
- The most delicious breakfast, lunch, or snack!
- Easy to make gluten-free, dairy-free, or vegan.
- Everyone will absolutely FLIP over this one, I guarantee it!!
INGREDIENT LIST FOR HEALTHY PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
- Flour – All-purpose or 1:1 gluten-free flour work best here! I recommend Bob Red Mill’s 1:1 or King Arthur’s measure for measure if using gluten-free flour. I have not tested this recipe with almond flour, oat flour, or whole grain flour, so i’m not sure if they’ll work. You can definitely try! Just note that it won’t have the same ‘bakery taste’ as it does when you use normal all purpose flour. A better option to regular whole wheat flour would be white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour. I would not recommend using coconut flour for this recipe.
- Protein Powder – I like Vanilla or Snickerdoodle for this cake. I used PEScience (code Laurenfitfoodie to save!) If you need to sub, please make sure it is a protein powder you know bakes well, ideally a whey + casein blend. Vegan works too! You can also omit entirely and replace with extra flour.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sweeteners – I used monk fruit classic and golden sweetener. You can use sugar, brown sugar, coconut sugar, Truvia, whatever sweetener you fancy here!
- Canned pumpkin – not pumpkin pie mix, canned pumpkin is unsweetened.
- Canola oil – or melted coconut oil, vegetable oil, olive oil, avocado oil
- Milk – I used unsweetened almond milk. You can use any milk of your choice.
- Butter – cold butter to make the crumble. Do not use light butter for this! Use dairy-free butter if needed.
- Confectioners sugar – I used powdered monk fruit sweetener
- Vanilla extract – to bring out all the flavors more!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN COFFFE CAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR CRUMB TOPPING
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×9-inch cake pan or baking dish with nonstick spray and/or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour through brown sugar). Whisk well to combine.
- To the same bowl, add the wet ingredients (pumpkin, oil, and milk). Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on high speed to combine. Pumpkin cake batter will be thick. Transfer the pumpkin mixture to the dish and spread the top out to ensure even baking.*
- In a small bowl, combine the streusel topping ingredients. Mash/stir with a fork until mixed together well. You can also use a food processor to combine. Sprinkle streusel mix over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean. For a more moist cake, take out when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly but not completely clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 or minutes. Then, in a zigzag motion, drizzle the glaze across the cake.
Good no mess/fuss trick! You can spray a sheet of parchment paper with cooking spray and press down to even out the top. (Again, which is important to ensure even baking.)
HOW TO STORE PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
Wrap Pumpkin Coffee Cake tightly in plastic wrap or store in an air tight container. Keep at room temperature for 3-4 days or refrigerated for 5-6 days.
VARIATIONS AND SERVING TIPS
- Pumpkin coffee cake muffins – Instead of using a 9×9″ circle or square pan, add pumpkin batter to a greased muffin tin.
- Make a vanilla glaze – Instead of a normal sugary glaze, add vanilla to the make it a vanilla glaze!
- Enjoy for an afternoon treat with a hot cup of coffee.
- Serve with ice cream for the most cozy night time dessert.
HEALTHY PUMPKIN COFFFE CAKE Q&A
This healthier coffee cake recipe is gluten-free as written as long as you use gluten-free flour!
Yes, it’s super easy to take the dairy out of this coffee cake. Just use vegan butter and a plant-based protein powder. Or omit the protein powder and add an extra 1/4 cup flour.
The glaze is so yummy but of course you can leave it off, definitely still delicious without it!
Nope! If you want to leave the protein powder out, just add an extra 1/4 cup flour in its place.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Pumpkin Coffee Cake and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
I cannot wait to make this! Looks so yummy! I am getting PEScience pumpkin pie protein powder. I am thinking I will use this instead of vanilla.
Oh yes girl!! I made this cake before they had released the Pumpkin but I just know that is going to be delicious!! Can’t wait for you to try it!
Seriously…this is THE BEST PUMPKIN recipe. I LOVE it. Made it twice now and it is pure perfection. I thought about skipping the glaze but, I think that is really a tasty part of this treat. Well done Lauren! Can’t wait for more pumpkin recipes.
The cake, crumble and glaze all add a fun part right?! So glad you enjoyed Kelly! And thank you so much for leaving a comment! 🙂
Made this but lowered oil to 40g, added an extra scoop of protein and reduced flour by 30g to make it even more macro-friendly. Still came out moist and delicious! Also added maple extract to the glaze because I’m obsessed with anything maple-flavored! The perfect fall treat!
Omg maple extract! Must try!
Good to know about your tweaks and so helpful to many others reading this too i’m sure! Thanks Lauren!!
I made this for Thanksgiving for everyone to have with their coffee in the morning. The first batch I made into muffins and they were so delicious I made TWO more coffee cakes and everyone gobbled them up! Definitely adding this to my rotation of yummy breakfast preps!!
So easy and so delicious!!!
This looks amazing! I plan to make it this Sunday morning to eat while watching World Cup finals. Do you know if the protein powder can be omitted or substituted with something else? I don’t have any and don’t want to buy just for this one recipe. Thank you for this great recipe.
Ok what an awesome Sunday!! Yes you can definitely replace! Just omit the protein powder and add the same amount of all-purpose flour, so add an extra 1/4 cup (28g) all-purpose!