These Healthy Buckeyes taste just like a gourmet Reese’s cup—and you can make them at home with just a few ingredients and your refrigerator! Sweet, salty, rich, and smooth, these Buckeyes are lower in fat and calories compared to the traditional candy, but they sacrifice no delicious flavor. You’re going to love them!
If you love peanut butter and chocolate, you are going to FLIP at this Healthy Buckeyes recipe! If you are not familiar, Buckeyes are balls of peanut butter covered in a rich chocolate shell. They taste just like a gourmet Reese’s cup—and you can make them at home with just a few ingredients and your refrigerator!
Sweet, salty, rich, and smooth, these Healthy Buckeyes are lower in fat and calories compared to the traditional candy, but they sacrifice no delicious flavor. Break through the decadent chocolate shell to uncover chilled, creamy peanut butter and enjoy both flavors in each bite. They’re perfect for so many occasions like holidays, football parties, and family dinners, or to just enjoy at home. Literally, they are pure peanut-butter-chocolate perfection.
And, they freeze super well, making them perfect to pull out whenever an indulgent peanut butter and chocolate craving strikes!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE HEALTHY BUCKEYES
- They’re the same delicious Buckeyes you know and love, but lower in fat and calories!
- Sweet and salty peanut butter wrapped in a rich chocolate shell.
- Only require 4 ingredients if you don’t count the water and salt.
- No baking necessary!
- Great for parties, get togethers, holidays, or just to have as a bite-sized sweet treat to curb your cravings throughout the week.
- Super freezer friendly! If stored well, these Buckeyes keep in the freezer for up to 6 months! So you can pull them out whenever the cravings strike. 😉
- Peanut butter powder – I used PBFit peanut butter powder.
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips – I used dark chocolate here for a more distinct and bitter contrast with the sweet peanut butter. However, semi-sweet chocolate chips would be insanely delicious and make these treats a bit more rich! Milk chocolate would taste even richer!
HOW TO MAKE THESE HEALTHY BUCKEYES
- Make the peanut butter batter. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the peanut butter powder, powdered sugar, and salt together. Add the water and stir until well incorporated. Note that the batter will be very stiff.
- Portion them out. Use a cookie scoop to measure out about 2 tablespoons (28g) of your peanut butter batter and place them on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment paper. Place the sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Roll the balls. Remove the peanut butter scoops from the freezer and roll them into smooth balls with your hands.
- Melt the chocolate. Add chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 seconds increments, stirring in between until you get a smooth consistency. Let the chocolate cool, but not harden.
- Dip in chocolate. Dip each peanut butter ball in the melted chocolate, just leaving a small portion of the peanut butter visible. Transfer them back to the waxed paper and place them in the refrigerator to set. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
LOOKING FOR MORE YUMMY TREATS?
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these healthy buckeyes and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Could I use Swerve powdered sugar substitute instead of the powdered sugar?
Yes I had the same question! I’m excited to try these 🙂
OMG these are amazingly delicious! Super soft and quenches the sweet tooth! For sure will be on repeat here.
So happy to hear that Brie! Definitely rich and indulgent, so you’re right – a perfect sweet tooth quencher 😍