This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
About This Recipe
Coffee cake holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Growing up, my mom made it for breakfast on every major holiday. No matter if it was Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, we were guaranteed to wake up to the smell of it coming out of the oven.
It became such a special tradition in my family. We didn’t really eat coffee cake much outside of those occasions, so it was always a real treat when we did!
Making a whole coffee cake is a lot of work, so I decided I’d experiment with a coffee cake mug cake.
Just like my other mug cakes (Protein Molten Lava Cake, Red Velvet Mug Cake or Banana Chocolate Chip Mug Cake) this Healthy Coffee Cake in a Mug takes only 1 MINUTE to make, and all you have to do is mix up some ingredients you likely already have and pop it in the microwave.
It’s warm, cinnamony, sugary, and smells like it’s fresh from the bakery! And you get all that minus the carbs and fat of a traditional coffee cake.
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Coffee Cake In A Mug
- All you have to do is mix up the ingredients and pop them in the microwave.
- It only takes one minute to make!
- You very likely have all of these ingredients already in your pantry.
- Enjoy the sweet flavor of coffee cake without all the carbs and fat!
- Because this is a single serving, you won’t be tempted to go back for seconds…which is so easy to do with coffee cake. 😅
- Pancake mix – I have used Kodiak Cakes and Bisquick mix, but any pancake mix will work!
- Milk of choice – I used unsweetened almond milk for this recipe
- Sugar – Brown sugar, coconut sugar, and normal granulated sugar will all work
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut oil – You can also use canola oil
How To Make
- Spray a ramekin or microwavable mug with cooking spray.
- Add pancake mix, milk, sugar, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Then, mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the mixture in mug or ramekin. If you want to create a swirl effect, you can use a toothpick or the tip of a knife and make a couple of swirls.
- Microwave on high for one minute. Then, take out, let cool, and enjoy with a big ole cup of coffee! (Or as a night time snack!)
Can I use a sugar replacement (like Splenda, Truvia, stevia, etc.) instead of sugar?
You can if cutting carbs and/or sugar is your priority. But do note that artificial sweeteners respond differently when heated and will result in a more pancake-like consistency versus a cake-like consistency.
Can I use another brand of pancake mix?
By all means, yes! I have tried Kodiak Cake, Bisquick, and Krusteaz and all they all are fantastic. Some pancake mixes may respond differently depending on what is added to them, but as a general rule of thumb, most would work as a great sub.
Is this Coffee Cake in a Mug gluten free?
To make this Coffee Cake mug cake gluten free, simply use gluten-free pancake mix.
Can this Coffee Cake in a Mug be made in advance?
Mug cakes should always be made fresh! If you want, you could always prep and measure out the dry ingredients into a couple of Ziplock bags to make the process a little quicker. But either way, this mug cake is super quick and easy to make!
For the Coffee Cake:
- 1/4 cup Kodiak Cake buttermilk pancake mix (31g) use gluten-free pancake mix if needed
- 2 Tbsp milk (30g) use dairy-free milk if needed
- 1/2 Tbsp Truvia Cane Sugar Blend or 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut oil melted
For the Cinnamon Sugar Crumble:
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes. Scroll for macros and MyFitnessPal code.
- Spray a microwavable mug or small baking dish with cooking spray and then mix together pancake mix, milk, sweetener, vanilla, and coconut oil inside.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the mixture in mug. If desired, swirl with the tip of a knife to spread throughout the mug.
- Microwave on high for one minute. Let cool, and enjoy!
Nutrition is hand-calculated and accurate. No autocalulations! However, note that values can vary based on the brands you use and if you substitute ingredients.