Make this soft, moist, and perfectly sweet Banana Mug Cake in just a few minutes with a few staple ingredients! It is the perfect treat to curb your sweet tooth.
Y’all know how much I love creating healthy desserts—and when I discover a winner, I’m gonna share it with you. Well, alert your roommate, your friends, your neighbors! I’ve got another one!
I had some extra bananas on hand and I knew they made an awesome base from some of my other desserts (looking at you Banana Bread Blondies). And really they do! Bananas are the perfect cake base! They keep the cake moist and naturally sweet without needing to add a whole lot of extra sweetener.
With the addition of a few other ingredients, this banana mug cake comes together super quickly. It’s soft, moist, gooey, and chocolatey…and it makes a perfect night cap to tuck that sweet tooth into bed for the evening.
This Banana Mug Cake is more than a yummy treat though. It’s full of protein, fiber, and the macros are balanced so you can enjoy without guilt! Cozy up on your couch with this warm, delicious cake and turn on your favorite show, grab your latest book. It’s a great way to unwind and treat yourself to somethin’ special. You deserve it!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS BANANA MUG CAKE
- Sweet and moist banana cake with gooey chocolate chips in each bite!
- Simple ingredients & and they’re all kitchen staples.
- 5 minutes to make.
- Great when you’re craving something sweet but don’t want to put in a lot of effort.
- Macro-balanced with more protein (and fiber!) than your typical cake.
- Single serving – the perfect size to curb your sweet tooth without feeling like you’re over doing it.
- Banana – The foundation of the mug cake! Banana is going to be the best bet here. It is possible to use applesauce or pumpkin but note the texture may be a little more spongey with those subs.
- Protein powder– I used PEScience. Use my code Laurenfitfoodie to save 10% on your purchase. If you need to sub, please make sure it is a protein powder you know bakes well (ideally a whey + casein blend OR a plant based blend, versus a stictly whey blend for example).
- Flour– Oat, all-purpose, and gluten free flour all work great here! My favorite gluten-free flours to bring about the most similiar flavor/texture are Bob’s Red Mill and King Arthur’s.
- Milk– Any milk of choie works here!
- Sweetener – Any sweetener works here so use your favorite. I love using Truvia, Swerve, or monk fruit sweetener but normal sugar always works as well.
- Baking essentials – vanilla extract and salt (both to bring out the flavor more!) and baking powder (to help this mug cake rise!)
- Chocolate Chips – I love using the mini ones so the chocolate spreads further but any chocolate works! You could even chop up a little chocolate bar or some Reese’s you have on hand and throw those in there!
HOW TO MAKE BANANA MUG CAKE
- Spray a mug or shallow dish with cooking spray.
- Add the banana to the mug and mash with a fork. Mix in the milk and vanilla. Then add the flour, protein powder, sweetener and baking powder and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips (save a few for topping!)
- Microwave at 70% power for 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 seconds. I like to take mine out when it’s still a little gooey at the top for best texture and to ensure I don’t overcook it.
- Take out and let cool for a few minutes. Tope with cool whip, sliced bananas, more chocolate chips, whatever sounds yummy and enjoy!
HEALTHY BANANA MUG CAKE: FAQ
Yes! This recipe is gluten-free as written, just be sure you use oat flour or gluten-free flour! (My favorite gluten-free flours are Bob’s Red Mill and King Arthur’s).
It sure can! Just be sure to use a non-dairy milk and dairy-free chocolate chips. (I like Enjoy Life chocolate chips).
This mug cake tastes amazing with the chocolate chips included in the recipe, but if you are looking to add a little more, I think whipped cream, nut butter, Reese’s, or even adding some frosting would taste fabulous!
MORE SINGLE SERVING DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE
- Protein Molten Lava Cake
- Healthy Red Velvet Protein Mug Cake
- Healthy Coffee Cake in a Mug
- Chocolate Chip Protein Brookie
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this banana mug cake and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!