All the delicious flavors of your mama’s homemade stuffing but lightened up! This dish is a REAL treat. A perfect side dish to serve with dinner that the whole family will love, and I can guarantee you, no one will believe that it’s healthy for a second!
We have stumbled upon another winner you guys! I can’t even tell you how much I love this dish. IT IS SO GOOD. This was one of those recipes where my eyes just about popped out of my head the second I first tried it. I am not joking when I say it tastes like Thanksgiving in your mouth! Just like your “typical” stuffing, and don’t tell my mom I said this, but I think I may like my version more… 😂
To lighten this dish up, I opted on sautéing the onions and celery in cooking spray instead of butter. Then as the name suggests, I used spaghetti squash as the base to bulk this bake up as opposed to just using more of the stuffing mix to create the same amount. I add cream cheese and cottage cheese to bring a special delicious creamy, cheesy flavor to this recipe. And even with all these macro hacks, I’m telling y’all – this bake tastes like the real deal!
What You Need
- Spaghetti Squash
- Onions and celery
- Cornbread stuffing
- Cream cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Ranch seasoning – not necessary but I love the flavor it brings!
Why You’ll Love This Dish
- It tastes like the REAL deal. Even better in my opinion, because cheese
- The whole family will love it!
- Super low in fat, especially compared to traditional stuffing recipes
- Packed with protein and fiber
- It is easy to double the recipe if needed for big groups
- Great recipe to meal prep
- It’s flipping amazing. Seriously SO GOOD.
- Spaghetti squash – I thought about using other vegetables when deciding what I was going to use for the base of this dish, but honestly I think spaghetti squash is the best choice here! The texture and flavor of the squash are part of what makes this dish taste so good. I haven’t tried it with anything else, but I think cauliflower rice would be a good substitute if needed.
- Cottage cheese – I like it best with cottage cheese but plain nonfat greek yogurt would work as well
- Corn starch – this helps in thickening the bake. If needed, you could sub with all-purpose flour or arrowroot starch.
- Fat free cream cheese – reduced fat cream cheese or Greek cream cheese would also work!
- Ranch seasoning – this seasoning adds so much flavor and I love using it. If you don’t have any on hand though, you can always sub with a combination of salt, garlic powder and onion powder
Spaghetti Squash Stuffing
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked (700g)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (180g)
- 3 celery stalks, diced (150g)
- 8 oz fat free cream cheese (226g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese (113g)
- 3 tbsp ranch seasoning (23g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 ½ cup corn bread stuffing (87g)
- ½ cup corn bread stuffing (29g)
- If spaghetti squash still needs to be cooked, do that first. Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper and lay face down on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake on 400 °F for 30-40 minutes. When done, let cool before scooping spaghetti strands out.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray.
I used a 9.5 x 6.5 inch dish (1.5 quart)
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and set to medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and saute until onions start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the spaghetti squash, onion, and celery.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, add the egg and cream cheese. Mix with a hand mixer until creamy. Add cottage cheese, ranch seasoning, salt, pepper and corn starch and mix again.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture into the spaghetti squash bowl using a wooden spoon until all is combined. Then, fold in the corn bread stuffing.
- Add the spaghetti squash stuffing to the casserole and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with cornbread stuffing and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
MFP entry: Lauren Fit Foodie Skinny Spaghetti Squash Stuffing Bake
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1/8 of dish (172g)
Amount Per Serving Calories 148 Total Fat 1.5gCarbohydrates 25gProtein 9g