These Healthier 7 Layer Magic Bars sacrifice NO flavor or texture despite being lightened up. You get the same rich graham cracker crust, crunchy pecans, sweet milk, coconut, chocolate and butterscotch chips as the traditional version. You’re absolutely going to LOVE them!
Magic bars have always been my FAVORITE holiday treat. I am not kidding! The second December 1st hit, I would beg my mom to make them and would always reach for them first over all our other Christmas goodies. Something about all the delicious flavors and textures takes me to another place every time!
The second I started brainstorming recipes to go into my newest SWEETS cookbook: Cookies, Brownies, Blondies, and Bars, I just KNEW I had to create a healthier version of these to put in there! And they totally blew me out of park! In fact, these Healthier Seven Layer Magic Bars are my number 5 favorite of all 52 recipes in the book!
These bars are usually pretty calorie dense, and not exactly the healthiest for you…. 🤭
So I wanted to create a healthier version that still had all the delicious flavor and texture profiles, just a lot lighter. And I must say friends, mission accomplished!
These Healthier 7 Layer Magic Bars have the same melt in your mouth graham cracker crust, crunchy chopped pecans, shredded coconut, gooey sweetened condensed milk and butterscotch chips. Believe me, I sacrificed NOTHING to bring these babies come to life!
I really hope you love them! There isn’t a soul on this Earth that would know these bars are healthier for you. Please, enjoy without the guilt!!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE HEALTHIER 7 LAYER MAGIC BARS
- They are so rich and indulgent that everyone will SWOON over them.
- So many fun flavors and textures in one bar—sweet, salty, crunchy, and gooey!
- Tremendously lightened up from their original version. Enjoy without guilt!
- Just 118 calories per bar.
- Not a soul on this planet would know that they’re a healthier version of this classic treat. They’re THAT good.
- One of the easiest desserts ever to make! You are sure to impress. 😉
- Graham crackers – I used cinnamon ones because I love the flavor. You can also use graham cracker crumbs here in the same amount gram for gram.
- Egg whites – These will help the graham cracker crumbs to form the crust. Also keeps these bars lighter in place of butter.
- Shredded coconut – I used unsweetened because these bars are sweet enough on their own.
- Mini chocolate chips – Because the chocolate spreads further! 😍
- Butterscotch chips – Such a warm and sweet flavor.
- Sweetened condensed milk – I used a fat free version to keep these bars a little lighter.
- Greek yogurt – I added some of this to the condensed milk to spread the amount of the creaminess even further!
- Sweetener – Just a little bit to mix into the condensed milk + greek yogurt mixture to keep it sweet! I used Swerve granular sweetener. Feel free to use whatever sweetener you wish here.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHIER 7 LAYER MAGIC BARS
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8” baking dish with parchment paper and/or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- For the crust: Add graham crackers to a food processor or blender and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Add the crumbs to a medium bowl with the egg whites and stir together. Press crust into the bottom of your prepared baking dish.
- For the bars: Sprinkle the coconut, mini chocolate chips, pecans, and butterscotch chips over the graham cracker crust in the order listed.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, yogurt, and sweetener. Evenly drizzle the milk mixture over the toppings.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Then, chill for at least 3 hours before removing and cutting into squares.
TIPS FOR EASY SLICING
Gooey is the name of the game with these bars! 😍 And as delicious as they are, they can be difficult to slice. Two things can help:
- Line the pan with parchment. This way you can lift the bars from the pan and slice them with a sharp knife on a cutting board or hard surface.
- Refrigerate the bars for a few hours or overnight. These bars are best after chilling and setting in the fridge for a few hours. They are also tremendously easier to slice when chilled!
HOW TO STORE
Store these magic bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
These bars also freeze great! To freeze, let bars set in the fridge first. Then, cut into individual bars. Wrap them in parchment paper, saran wrap, or aluminum foil. Finally, store them in an airtight Ziplock bag and put in the freezer. They will stay fresh for 3-4 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: 7 LAYER MAGIC BARS
A Seven Layer Magic Bar consists of graham crackers, butter (we replaced with egg whites to keep things lighter), sweetened condensed milk, semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans (although technically, you can swap in any other chopped nut), and shredded coconut.
I would not recommend it for this recipe. It’s an essential to binding the other ingredients together. It also caramelizes in the oven, giving a sweet depth to each bite similar to dulce de leche. It just will not taste the same if you don’t use it!
I have found it at every grocery store I’ve been to in the baking aisle. They also Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk on Amazon if you can’t find it in your local store.
MORE SWEETS COOKBOK FAVORITES
- MISSISSIPPI MUD BROWNIES
- CAKE BATTER OREO BLONDIES
- CARROT CAKE BLONDIES WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 7-LATER HEALTHIER MAGIC BARS
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this skinny dunkaroo dip and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!