The best ever homemade protein cookie dough (with no chickpeas!) This dough is gluten-free, protein-packed and tastes like the REAL deal! Made with wholesome, healthy ingredients, so you can indulge without guilt!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS COOKIE DOUGH
- It’s seriously delicious – I mean seriously. When I say it tastes like the real deal, I AM NOT JOKING!
- Not made with chickpeas – nothing against chickpeas at all; and I will admit, I do like a chickpea cookie dough every now and then. But something about an edible cookie dough that is still healthy and delicious without chickpeas… well it just makes it taste even more like the real deal.
- Lower in fat and calories + higher in protein – compared to your typical cookie dough, this cookie dough is lightened-up and protein-packed!
- It’s No-Bake – who doesn’t love a good no-bake recipe? Just mix the ingredients and let freeze until ready to eat!
- It’s easy to make – again, just mix everything and boom.
- It tastes like the REAL DEAL – have I said it enough?? It is so yummy y’all. Is it crazy to say so soon that this may be my new favorite recipe??
WHAT YOU NEED
- Cassava flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill Cassava Flour
- Gluten-free flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- Protein powder – I used PEScience vanilla. (You can save 10% on PEScience products with my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie)
- Brown sugar – I used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Almond milk
- Nut Butter – I used American Dream Cashew Butter Just Plain Nutty. (You can save 10% on American Dream Nut Butter products with my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie)
- Marshmallow fluff
- Rainbow sprinkles
WHAT SUBSTITUITONS CAN BE MADE?
I have made this cookie dough a number of times (so many) experimenting with different protein powders, different flours, etc., and I must say – the dough is hands down the best when made according to the recipe. Still, I know everyone may not have all the ingredients on hand so I want to point out the ingredients that can be subbed and the ones I wouldn’t recommend subbing.
Cassava flour – this is one ingredient I have not been able to find an equal sub for. Just replacing with more GF flour or all-purpose flour did not do the trick. Nor did, almond, coconut, tapioca, or whole wheat. It did not taste bad when subbed with these flours. Just not as “real deal” good. The cassava flour really makes this dough!
Gluten-free flour – from all the ways I tried it, the gluten-free flour just brought a better texture than the all-purpose flour did. If you need to sub though, you can do so with all-purpose flour (equal amounts).
Protein powder – I love PEScience’s vanilla the best in this recipe! The cake pop flavor also works well. I have also tried it with PEScience’s Vegan Vanilla Indulgence and it is amazing. If you need to sub with another brand, I would make sure the protein powder is also a whey + casein blend.
Brown sugar – I used Splenda brown sugar blend. I have also tried with “normal” brown sugar (Domino’s brand) and with coconut sugar as well – both work amazingly! I would say the brown sugar flavor adds a lot to the dough, so I wouldn’t just sub with normal Splenda or sugar.
Splenda – just the sweetener I had on hand! I am sure there are many substitutions options for this one. You can use normal sugar, Truvia, granulated Swerve, etc. Some sweeteners are more/less sweeter than others, so if you do sub, make sure to take that into consideration.
Unsweetened applesauce – haven’t tried subbing this one because I was hesitant nothing could compare! If you try something in it’s place, let me know!
Almond milk – you can sub for any other milk of choice. Oat milk, cashew milk, normal cow milk, etc.
Nut Butter – my favorite to use has been American Dream Nut Butter Cashew Butter Just Plain Nutty! I prefer the cashew because it is more mellow – just adds a creaminess to the dough without a strong nut flavor. I have tried with ADNB’s almond butters as well and the almond butter also works! With peanut butter, I found the dough to have a stronger peanut taste throughout. Not a bad thing, just not my favorite! If you need to sub, I would recommend a similar drippy nut butter.
Marshmallow fluff – not really a sub for this but you don’t want there to be! The marshmallow fluff is my favorite part!! I do not recommend skipping if you don’t have to (i.e. if you are vegan – see below)
Rainbow sprinkles – what is Funfetti without sprinkles?? This ingredient is a necessity!
MAKE IT VEGAN
For all my vegan friends out there – do not fret! This recipe is super easy to make vegan.
For the protein powder – just use a vegan one. PEScience’s Vegan Vanilla is amazing!
For the rainbow sprinkles – just make sure to use a vegan brand.
For the marshmallow fluff – Jet Puff marshmallow fluff is not classified as vegan, but you can make your own at home to add! Here are some yummy recipes I found for vegan marshmallow fluff:
–Easy Vegan Marshmallow Fluff – It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
–Vegan Marshmallow Fluff – Chocolate Covered Katie
–Vegan Marshmallow Fluff – Make It Dairy Free
MAKE IT DAIRY FREE
To make this recipe dairy-free, just swap the protein powder for a dairy-free one!
HOW TO STORE
Keep stored in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat. The dough will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. These are the containers I used: 8 oz. Leakproof – Plastic Microwavable Clear Food Storage Containers. One batch filled about one and a half of these for me. Any airtight container will do though. I would recommend one that is freezer and microwave safe.
HOW TO DEFROST
The longer method – transfer to the fridge a couple of hours before ready to eat.
The shorter method – microwave whole container for 15-25 seconds and scoop out however much need! This is what I always do. You still want it chilled and solid and it defrosts pretty fast at room temperature once heated for 15-25 seconds, so I wouldn’t recommend much longer that that.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this funfetti cookie dough and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!