Quick and easy protein skillet cookie! Soft baked cookie meets gooey chocolate chips and so healthy that you can eat the whole thing!
The one and only.
THE Chocolate Chip Protein Skillet Cookie!!!
Not going to lie — this is not only an OG, but also one of my all time favorite recipes! It’s super easy to make, doesn’t take long to bake (also not much cleaning lol), is super macro-friendly, and is HELLA good.
What more can a girl want!?
The texture of the cookie
I’ve gotten many comments and questions over the past year from people asking why their cookie turned out soft and not crunchy. Friends, this cookie is not supposed to be crunchy! For one, it is a very healthy cookie, and no, it is not going to taste exactly like a Toll House cookie (sorry to burst your bubble). It is supposed to be soft, and more cake-like than crunchy, but not cake-like to the point where it actually tastes likes cake… if that makes sense 😀 Personally, I like mine a little underdone where it’s cooked along the outside, every where but the very center. But to each its own! Just experiment with it! I will also say, cooking it in the skillet brings about the BEST texture. Again, not always committed to cleaning a cast iron skillet, so I often sacrifice that amazing skillet texture for convenience. Still tastes great, but if you want more of the real deal, go for the skillet.
- Protein powder – I use PEScience brand because it my absolute favorite protein powder to bake with! The flavor is on point (drool worthy really 😎 ) and there is zero “protein-like” taste when baked like I’ve found with many other protein powder brands. For this recipe, my favorites to use have been Cake Pop and Snickerdoodle. These both happen to be my favorite protein powders to use for most of my desserts too!
For all Pescience products, you can use code “LaurenFitFoodie” to save 15%
- Coconut flour – This flour has different absorbant properties than other flours and for that reason can not be subbed. 100% worth the investment if you don’t have already – I use this flour for so much! You can find at some grocery stores, but since I don’t always have luck, I order off Amazon. I use both Viva Naturals and Bob’s Red Mill.
- Baking powder – I can’t stress this enough, make sure your baking powder is FRESH (opened within the past 6 months) and there are no clumps! Clumps make for a very gross taste 😆
- Zero-calorie sweetener – use whatever your heart desires. Use real sugar if you want. I usually just use the granulated sweetener I buy off Amazon or at the store that looks like this: SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener Granulated Sugar Substitute.
- Unsweetened applesauce – I like it best with applesauce, but if you need, you can replace with canned pumpkin or mashed banana.
- Egg whites
- Butter or vanilla extract – I prefer butter because it gives the whole cookie a BUTTER-like flavor (and what is not to love about that?!) I get mine off Amazon because I sometimes have trouble finding it in stores. I use both McCormick and Watkins brand interchangeably. Both are great and oh my goodness I cannot tell you the difference this addition makes! Butter-flavored explosion.
- Mini chocolate chips – well that’s a given. 😛 Mini because it means more chocolate in each bite!
Cast iron skillet – I am using a 8-inch skillet here. I also regularly use a cake pan to make my life easier and it turns out just as awesome as well! The baking times may differ though, so just be sure to keep an eye on it. When using a cake pan, I usually let mine bake for 15 minutes for a “gooier” cookie; for a more “cakier” cookie, bake for a tad longer.
Mini spatulas – obviously you can use a normal spoon, but where is the fun in that! Lol. But seriously, these mini spatulas are perfect for mixing batter and get every little ounce of goodness out of the bowl. I use them for literally everything and may be a tad obsessed with them. It’s fine. 😀
Variations of the OG protein skillet cookie:
- Chocolate Chip Protein Brookie – cookie meets brownie in this epic fusion of two of the most classic (and best!) desserts.
*This version is now the most made of all the cookies on my page!
- Iced White Chocolate Chip Protein Skillet Cookie – soft baked cookie meets white chocolate chocolate chips and vanilla icing. If you love sweets and white chocolate, this one is for you!
This skillet cookie is perfect to serve up for a movie night or Netflix and chill. Or ANY night/time of day for that matter. You gotta give it a try!!
As always, if you try, tag me on Instagram (@Laurenfitfoodie) because I love seeing your yummy recreations!