High protein, fluffy Angel Food Cake meets sweet cream cheese and fresh strawberries – all chilled to perfection! Satisfy your Angel Food Cake craving while still staying on track with this low calorie, high protein alternative. Just 107 calories, 7g carbs and 4g fat per slice; with 10g protein! SERIOUS macro magic friends!
I can’t even with this dessert guys. I mean especially with that protein angel food cake base. How does it taste that yummy and is still CRAZY macro-friendly?? You would never guess something so yummy could come out of the ingredients.
Now remember, this is a super macro-friendly recipe. It’s not going to taste like the ‘real deal’. I am not trying to trick you here. But it does taste pretty dang close, and when I need to keep calories lower, it still hits all the good angel food cake spots!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS PROTEIN ANGEL FOOD CAKE
- Just a handful of basic, simple ingredients
- Easy to make – just whip it real good and bake!
- Indulge without guilt and without all the calories
- Really… just 107 calories and 7g of carbs per slice!!!
- Protein packed – not only is it low in calories, carbs, fat, but it’s also packs a good chunk of protein!
- Protein powder – I recommend PEScience Vanilla Protein Powder. Since there aren’t many ingredients in this recipe, the quality of the protein powder makes a huge impact on how this recipes turns out. if you need to sub for another protein powder, make sure you do so with a similar whey + casein blend. For all PEScience products, you can use my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie to save 15%.
- Egg whites (from the egg – not carton!) – will elaborate more on this importance of this later.
- Cream of Tartar
- Stevia – or any other sweetener of choice. I used Truvia Cane Sugar Blend for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – I use Watkins brand.
- Greek cream cheese – you can also use fat-free, normal or 1/3 reduced-fat cream cheese. Even cool whip if you wanted!
- Strawberries – fresh are best for this recipe but any fruit will be amazing!
CARTON EGG WHITES WILL NOT DO, YOU MUST USE REAL ONES.
Listen, I know it may tempting just to say “well, the carton egg whites are close enough.” NO. Absolutely not! Trust me, I thought the same! I experimented both ways – with egg whites from a carton and egg whites from an egg. And let me tell you, the differences in cakes do not even compare. The one made with carton eggs whites is more chewy and tastes like a protein cake. The one made with whites from an egg is FLUFFY and cushiony and melt in your mouth HEAVEN.
Egg whites from the carton do not whip up the same way. Trust me on this.
- Springform pan – you can use any pan! I just love this one as its helpful being able to slip off the sides!
- Mini spatulas – one of my favorite kitchen accessories! I use these for everything, but they are especially perfect in this recipe to help prevent the deflate of the egg white mixture (silicone is better for this instead of a traditional metal spoon).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Carton egg whites just won’t work for this recipe. As much as I would LOVE to say yes to make this a more convenient recipe, egg whites from eggs are essentially for this angel food cake to be fluffy and not weird or chewy.
“Cream of tartar, a byproduct of wine and grape juice processing, is an acidic salt that acts as a stabilizer in recipes that require whipped egg whites, such as meringue, angel food cake, and soufflé. When whipped, egg whites (also known as albumen) can swell up to eight times their initial volume.” -Nadia Arumugam (Slate)
Yes, any cream cheese will work here. You can use fat-free, 1/3 reduced-fat or regular cream cheese. If you wanted, you could even skip the cream cheese frosting all together and use cool whip1
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this strawberry protein angel food cake and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!