High protein, fluffy angel food cake meets sweet cream cheese layer; both topped with fresh strawberries – all chilled to perfection! Only 82 calories, 8g carbs, 12g protein, and 0.5g fat per slice. SERIOUS macro magic friends!
I can’t even with this dessert guys. I mean especially with that protein angel food cake base. How does it taste that yummy and is still CRAZY macro-friendly?? You would never guess something so yummy could come out of the ingredients.
Ingredients to make Protein Angel Food Cake:
- PEScience gourmet vanilla protein powder – I chose to experiment first with classic vanilla so I can get a feel for the recipe. Now I’m thinking strawberry cheesecake would be an amazing choice too!
For all PEScience products, you can use code LaurenFitFoodie to save 15%.
- Egg whites (from the egg – not carton!) – will elaborate more on this importance of this later.
- Cream of Tartar – OK. Not going to lie. First time using this spice. Had to ask a lady at the grocery store what it looked like 😆
“Cream of tartar, a byproduct of wine and grape juice processing, is an acidic salt that acts as a stabilizer in recipes that require whipped egg whites, such as meringue, angel food cake, and soufflé. When whipped, egg whites (also known as albumen) can swell up to eight times their initial volume.” -Nadia Arumugam (Slate)
- Stevia – or any other sweetener of choice. I used Truvia for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract – I use Watkins brand that I order off Amazon.
Carton egg whites will not do – you must use real ones!
Listen, I know it may tempting just to “well, the carton egg whites are close enough.” NO. Absolutely not! Trust me, I thought the same! I experimented both ways – with egg whites from a carton and egg whites from an egg. And let me tell you, the differences in cakes do not even compare. The one made with carton eggs whites is more chewy and tastes like a protein cake. The one made with whites from an egg is FLUFFY and cushiony and melt in your mouth HEAVEN.
Egg whites from the carton do not whip up the same way. Trust me on this.
- Springform pan – you can use any pan! I just love this ones as its helpful being able to slip off the sides!
- Mini spatulas – one of my favorite kitchen accessories! I use these for everything, but they are especially perfect in this recipe to help prevent the deflate of the egg white mixture (silicone is better for this instead of a traditional metal spoon).
Protein Angel Food Cake Topping:
- Cream Cheese frosting – I like to use fat free cream cheese. Mainly because it tastes the same to me, especially when made into frosting. And because I like getting my fats from cheeses and peanut butter. But if you would like to use 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese, I have included the nutritional information for that below as well.
- Strawberries – I used fresh strawberries. I knew I was going to sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on the top and my strawberries were already sweet, so I just watched them and topped them fresh! Feel free to mix in a bowl with sweetener first if you want them to be sweeter 😉