This Healthy Yellow Cake is fluffy, moist, and lathered in perfectly sweet chocolate frosting. It tastes so good that no one will ever know it’s lightened up! I can guarantee it will become your new go-to cake recipe.
This Healthy Yellow Cake is HANDS DOWN the best cake recipe I have ever made. It’s so buttery, moist & flavorful, and every bite melts in your mouth, leaving behind delicious sweetness! Melts in your mouth! And paired with homemade chocolate frosting? You guys. I can’t. It’s so FREAKING GOOD!
We all know that eating boxed cake isn’t the healthiest way to enjoy dessert. But I love it so much that I needed to figure out a way to lightened it up. To do so, I reduced the amount of cake mix used, replaced some of the butter with unsweetened applesauce and light butter, and used Swerve sweetener instead of regular sugar. This created a more macro-friendly cake, which is exactly what I was going for!
I LOVE to enjoy this cake in the refrigerator overnight and enjoying the next day. The flavors meld together so much more and it just tastes better cold, in my opinion. I feel like all desserts do. 😂 Simon, however, prefers this cake at room temperature (like he does for all desserts), so there is no wrong way! Enjoy it however you prefer.
This Healthy Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting is guaranteed to be your new favorite go-to cake recipe! You must try!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HEALTHY YELLOW CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- It’s tender, fluffy, and OH so moist! Melts right in your mouth!
- Pairs so well with sweet and creamy chocolate frosting.
- Lightened up to fit a macro-friendly lifestyle, but you’ll never taste it.
- Perfect for get-togethers, celebrations or plain old dessert!
- Your new go-to cake recipe!
- Butter – I used I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light butter.
- Brown sugar– I used Swerve Brown.
- Sweetener – I used Swerve Granular.
- Cake batter extract – This really enhances the delicious cake flavor!
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Yellow cake mix – I used Betty Crocker. If you are gluten free, make sure the cake mix you use is GF certified.
- Flour – I used all purpose flour. You could also substitute Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour.
- Protein powder – I used PEScience Cake Pop flavor protein powder. Vanilla would also work. Use my code Laurenfitfoodie to save 15% on your purchase. If you need to substitute, please use a protein powder you know bakes well. Typically, these are a whey + casein blend.
- Cocoa powder
- Confectioner sweetener – I used Swerve Confectioner, but you can use any kind you wish.
- Milk – I used unsweetened almond milk. Any milk works.
- Syrup – I used sugar free syrup. You can also substitute pure maple syrup.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY YELLOW CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper and/or spray with cooking spray.
- Add butter, brown sugar, sweetener, and cake batter extract to a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or whisk until smooth.
- Next, add the egg and applesauce and beat again. Then, add in the cake mix, flour, protein powder and salt and mix just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared dish and spread evenly so the top is smooth. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is almost set. You want it a little gooey in the center for a more moist texture! The cake will still bake in the hot dish when removed from the oven. Let the cake cool to room temperature before frosting.
- Now, we’ll make the frosting. Combine all ingredients with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a standing mixer until smooth. Add frosting to the cake soon after mixing. It will stiffen up the longer it sits and also when you place it in the fridge.
This cake is best eaten chilled in my opinion, but Simon prefers it best at room temperature. Do what suits your liking!
HOW TO STORE
To maximize the shelf life of the cake, place it in a covered airtight container or cover with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
- Store at room temperature and your cake will last 1-2 days.
- Put the cake in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- You can freeze this cake for up to 4 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To make this healthier yellow cake, I reduced the amount of cake mix, replaced some of the butter with unsweetened applesauce and light butter, and I used Swerve sweetener instead of sugar.
Swerve is a brand that creates healthier baking replacements you can use in place of traditional sugar. You can learn more about the brand and their products here. I love using Swerve to create healthier desserts!
If you have any extra frosting, keep it stored in the refrigerator. Note that the frosting will stiffen up after being chilled, so it’s best to leave it out at room temperature for a bit if you plan on using it again. It won’t have the same texture as the original frosting, but it will be spreadable again.
You can serve it either at room temperature (my husband Simon’s favorite) or chilled. I prefer it chilled, but enjoy it however you like!
MORE DELICIOUS CAKES YOU’LL LOVE
- HEALTHY CARROT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- HEALTHY COFFEE CAKE IN A MUG
- STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CAKE (LIGHTENED UP AND SO GOOD)
- HEALTHY RED VELVET PROTEIN MUG CAKE
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Healthy Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!