This Healthy Yellow Cake is fluffy, moist, and lathered in perfectly sweet chocolate frosting. It tastes so good that no one will ever know it’s lightened up! I can guarantee it will become your new go-to cake recipe.
This Healthy Yellow Cake is HANDS DOWN the best cake recipe I have ever made. It’s so buttery, moist & flavorful, and every bite melts in your mouth, leaving behind delicious sweetness!
Seriously, it MELTS in your mouth! And paired with homemade chocolate frosting? You guys. I can’t. It’s so FREAKING GOOD!
We all know that eating boxed cake isn’t the healthiest way to enjoy dessert. But I love it so much that I needed to figure out a way to lightened it up. To do so, I reduced the amount of cake mix used, reduced the amount of butter and replaced some with unsweetened applesauce, and used monk fruit sweetener. This created a more macro-friendly (yet still delicious!!) cake, which is exactly what I was going for!
I LOVE to enjoy this cake in the refrigerator overnight and enjoying the next day. The flavors meld together so much more and it just tastes better cold, in my opinion. I feel like all desserts do. 😂 Simon, however, prefers this cake at room temperature (like he does for all desserts), so there is no wrong way! Enjoy it however you prefer.
This Healthy Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting is guaranteed to be your new favorite go-to cake recipe! You must try!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HEALTHY YELLOW CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- It’s tender, fluffy, and OH so moist! Melts right in your mouth!
- Pairs so well with sweet and creamy chocolate frosting.
- Lightened up to fit a macro-friendly lifestyle, but you’ll never taste it.
- Perfect for get-togethers, celebrations or plain old dessert!
- Your new go-to cake recipe!
- Butter – I used unsalted butter. Feel free to use dairy-free butter to make this recipe dairy-free and vegan. You can also use light butter to bring the fat down some.
- Sweetener – I used monk fruit classic sweetener but you can sugar, coconut sugar, Truvia, Swerve – any type of sweetener here!
- Brown sugar– I used golden monk fruit sweetener. But you can use brown sugar or more classic sweetener/regular sugar here.
- Cake batter extract – I usually get mine from Amazon but I’ve seen it at some grocery stores too. This extract REALLY enhances that delicious yellow cake flavor!
- Vanilla extract
- Egg – or 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2.5 tablespoons water) to make vegan.
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Yellow cake mix – I used Betty Crocker. Use a gluten-free cake mix if needed.
- Flour – I used all purpose flour. You can use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Baking Flour to make gluten-free.
- Protein powder – I used PEScience (code laurenfitfoodie to save!) If you need to sub, please make sure it is a protein powder you know bakes well, ideally a whey + casein blend. Vegan works too! You can also omit entirely and replace with extra flour.
- Cocoa powder
- Confectioner sweetener – I used powdered monk fruit sweetener but you can use regular as well.
- Milk – I used unsweetened almond milk. Any milk works.
- Syrup – I used pure maple syrup.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY YELLOW CAKE WITH CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper and/or spray with cooking spray.
- Add butter, brown sugar, sweetener, and cake batter extract to a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or whisk until smooth.
- Next, add the egg and applesauce and beat again. Then, add in the cake mix, flour, protein powder and salt and mix just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared dish and spread evenly so the top is smooth. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is almost set. You want it a little gooey in the center for a more moist texture! The cake will still bake in the hot dish when removed from the oven. Let the cake cool to room temperature before frosting.
- Now, we’ll make the frosting. Combine all ingredients with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a standing mixer until smooth. Add frosting to the cake soon after mixing. It will stiffen up the longer it sits and also when you place it in the fridge.
This cake is best eaten chilled in my opinion, but Simon prefers it best at room temperature. Do what suits your liking!
HOW TO STORE
To maximize the shelf life of the cake, place it in a covered airtight container or cover with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
- Store at room temperature and your cake will last 1-2 days.
- Put the cake in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- You can freeze this cake for up to 4 months.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
To make this healthier yellow cake, I reduced the amount of cake mix, reduced the amount of butter and replaced some with unsweetened applesauce. I also used monk fruit sweetener instead of sugar which doesn’t spike blood sugar levels as much.
Nope! If you want to leave out, just replace with an extra 1/4 cup of flour.
If you have any extra frosting, keep it stored in the refrigerator. Note that the frosting will stiffen up after being chilled, so it’s best to leave it out at room temperature for a bit if you plan on using it again. It won’t have the same texture as the original frosting, but it will be spreadable again.
You can serve it either at room temperature (my husband Simon’s favorite) or chilled. I prefer it chilled, but enjoy it however you like!
MORE DELICIOUS CAKES YOU’LL LOVE
- HEALTHY CARROT CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- HEALTHY COFFEE CAKE IN A MUG
- STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CAKE (LIGHTENED UP AND SO GOOD)
- HEALTHY RED VELVET PROTEIN MUG CAKE
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Healthy Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!