Tender shreds of beef in a seasoned tomato sauce make for the perfect cozy dinner on a chilly winter night! Add on top of a pasta or your choice or spaghetti squash for a lower carb meal. Easy, delicious and oh so good!
When Italian food and steak meet, you know its about to get tasty up in here! I did zero planning for this recipe. All I knew was that I wanted to make a tomato based ragu to top on my spaghetti and wanted to use steak as my protein. And that I wanted to cook it in a Crock Pot… because who doesn’t love a good Crock Pot recipe?!
This ragu far exceeded my expectations in every possible way! Especially considering I was winging the whole recipe 😂 The steak was tender and juicy, the ragu was flavorful and fresh, and the tomatoes and steak paired so well together. IT WAS SO COZY AND COMFORTING. Especially on these chilly nights as of late. The first thing Simon said when he took a bite was “this one is going in the rotation.” Just from that, I knew this recipe was a winner!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Steak – I used flank steak because it is a leaner cut of steak and also easy to shred once cooked
- Garlic cloves – these really give the ragu a fresh flavor! I would highly recommend the minced cloves over garlic powder if possible.
- Tomato paste
- Diced tomatoes
- Beef broth
WHAT TO EAT WITH
This steak ragu is good on its own but also pairs awesome with just above anything you can think of. Some of my favorite ways to eat it:
- On top of pasta – angel hair spaghetti is my go-to!
- On top of spaghetti squash for a delicious, lower-carb pasta-like option
- On top or alongside rice/cauliflower rice
- Stuffed in or alongside a baked or sweet potato, air fried or roasted potoatoes
- On top of some toast
- Alongside a grilled cheese
As you can see, there is no wrong way to eat it here! Whatever sounds good, go with it!
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this steak and mushroom ragu and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!