Whip up this easy-to-make Italian Chicken Cabbage Soup in a jiff on a busy weeknight. It’s hearty and bursting with delicious Italian flavors! Plus, it’s low carb, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
This Italian Chicken Cabbage Soup totally surprised me! I have always liked cabbage, but I’ve never been crazy about it. Paired with a rich and juicy tomato base, hearty chicken and tender vegetables, and then seasoned with Italian herbs, it’s absolutely delicious! Simon and I can’t stop eating it!
I love that you can make this soup the “main” meal and enjoy it with some bread or a grilled cheese. But I also love that you can make it a side, too! It’s so tasty to enjoy alongside pasta or chicken.
Another thing I love about this soup is that it’s packed with tons of vegetables and made chicken broth, which is naturally low in calories. This means that you get more food for less calories, which is always a win in my book, especially when dieting.
And if you needed another reason to make this Italian Chicken Cabbage Soup, I’ve got to tell you that it’s so easy to make and comes together quickly! Perfect weeknight dinner for da winnn. 😉
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS ITALIAN CHICKEN CABBAGE SOUP
- It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan or vegetarian.
- Very voluminous. One serving is huge and will leave you feeling satisfied!
- Just 160 calories per large bowl.
- Super easy to fit into your day if you’re trying to eat lighter.
- All made in one pot!
- It can be the main meal or a tasty side.
- Hearty & packed with rich Italian flavor!
- Olive oil
- Ground chicken – You can also use ground beef, ground turkey, or ground Italian sausage.
- Garlic cloves – I recommended using cloves over garlic powder for the best flavor
- Diced tomatoes – I highly recommend Muir Glen Diced Tomatoes. Truly best quality tomatoes and it makes such a difference. You can find this brand in most grocery stores.
- Tomato sauce – I also highly recommend Muir Glen Tomato sauce.
- Chicken broth – Naturally low in calories.
- Seasonings and herbs – Salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro for serving.
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN CHICKEN CABBAGE SOUP
- To a dutch oven or large pot, add one tablespoon of oil and the ground chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Then, cook for about 4-5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring and breaking into smaller pieces as you go.
- Once the chicken is no longer pink, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, minced garlic, chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and taste check. Add additional salt, pepper, or seasoning as needed. Serve with a dollop of sour cream (or Greek yogurt), cheese, and some bread!
HOW TO STORE
- Refrigerating – Once the soup has cooled to room temperature, cover and store in the fridge for 6-7 days.
- Freezing – Add the cooled soup to an airtight container or freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for about 3-4 months. If freezing in a Ziploc bag, I recommend freezing the bag flat. Then, move it upright the next day once frozen to save space. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat the next day.
- Reheating – Add your desired portion to a saucepan over medium-heat and warm. You can also microwave portions in a covered microwave-safe container.
ITALIAN CHICKEN CABBAGE SOUP FAQ
Most definitely! Just omit the chicken and use a vegetable broth. You can pack in black beans or extra veggies to replace the chicken or just omit completely.
You don’t have to. This recipe would work great with ground beef, ground turkey, Italian sausage, white bans, so many things!
Oh yes! If you’re in a hurry, rotisserie chicken would be delicious in this!
I haven’t tried personally, but I don’t see why not! I would cook the ground chicken first and then add it along with everything else to the crock pot. Then, cook on low for 3-4 hours or high 6-8 hours.
MORE HEARTY AND WARM RECIPES
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Italian chicken cabbage soup and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
I’m so glad you enjoyed Margaret!! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! 🙂