Fudgy, lightened-up brownies bursting with rich chocolate flavor and a hints of creamy mint! Packed with protein, these brownies will curb your sweet tooth and leave you feeling satisfied. No one will even guess that they are healthy!
Chocolate and mint – what a match mate in heaven! Even better when the chocolate is in the form of a moist, rich chocolate brownie and the mint is in the form of a creamy, chilled cream cheese frosting. Oh my. I keep these brownies refrigerated and you can only imagine how good that combo is CHILLED. Seriously how are these bars so good but so healthy???
The dense, amazing texture is in part due to the black beans. I swear, you can’t taste them. And they really bring so much to this recipe. They allow it the brownies to be moist and voluminous (bigger pieces) without bringing a whole lot of extra calories in.
These brownies are amazing on their own, but they are especially amazing with a small touch of something crunchy on top. Like Oreo’s, or Oreo pie crust crumbled up. Taste, texture, flavor – hits every spot!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE BROWNIES
- So much fudginess – as long as you do not over-bake, these brownies are so fudgy! They become even more fudgy after sitting in the fridge overnight and allowing the flavors to come together.
- Creamy mint + chocolate brownie – something so refreshing about this combo, right? I am not a huge mint person, but there is just a touch in this frosting and it is the perfect amount to make these amazing!
- Lightened-up and lower calories – less calories than your typical box brownies.
- Protein packed – one brownie packs 12g of protein!
- They are delicious! Dense, fudgy, brownie paired with creamy mint frosting and chocolate drizzle. I mean dang!
- You can feel good about eating them – not only are they out of-this-world delicious, but they are made with healthy ingredients so you can feel good about what you’re eating.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Black beans – these make the brownies dense and you do not taste them at all. If you do not have black beans, cannellini beans would also work.
- Cocoa Powder – I love Hershey’s dark.
- Pumpkin – I think these brownies taste best with pumpkin, but you could also use applesauce.
- Egg whites
- Almond milk – or any milk of choice
- Protein Powder – I used PEScience Mint Chocolate Cookie for the brownies and vanilla for the frosting, but any chocolate or vanilla flavor would work. If you use another brand, just make sure it is also a whey + casein blend. For all PEScience products, you can use code “LaurenFitFoodie” to save 15%.
- All-purpose flour – oat flour, whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour or almond flour would all work as a sub. Just note that subbing a different flour may change the nutrition for each brownie.
- Sweetener – I used Swerve granular sweetener.
- Cream cheese – I get fat-free cream cheese from Harris Teeter. Depending on where you are located, you may not be able to find fat free cream cheese frosting and that is okay. Reduced-fat cream cheese works the same and it would only increase the fat slightly. I have included the nutrition information for both!
- Peppermint extract – just a touch to give it a slight mint flavor! You can omit if you would like.
- Green food coloring – to make the brownies look good and minty!
HOW TO STORE
Keep brownies stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. I use a baking pan that has a lid, like this one here. But wrapping with saran wrap or storing in a storage container works just as well.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these Chocolate Mint Brownies and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!