Fudgy, lightened-up brownies bursting with rich chocolate flavor and a hints of creamy mint! Packed with protein, these brownies will curb your sweet tooth and leave you feeling satisfied. No one will even guess that they are healthy!
Chocolate and mint – what a match mate in heaven! Even better when the chocolate is in the form of a moist, rich chocolate brownie and the mint is in the form of a creamy, chilled cream cheese frosting. Oh my. I keep these brownies refrigerated and you can only imagine how good that combo is CHILLED. Seriously how are these bars so good but so healthy???
The dense, amazing texture is in part due to the black beans. I swear, you can’t taste them. And they really bring so much to this recipe. They allow it the brownies to be moist and voluminous (bigger pieces) without bringing a whole lot of extra calories in.
These brownies are amazing on their own, but they are especially amazing with a small touch of something crunchy on top. Like Oreo’s, or Oreo pie crust crumbled up. Taste, texture, flavor – hits every spot!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE BROWNIES
- So much fudginess – as long as you do not over-bake, these brownies are so fudgy! They become even more fudgy after sitting in the fridge overnight and allowing the flavors to come together.
- Creamy mint + chocolate brownie – something so refreshing about this combo, right? I am not a huge mint person, but there is just a touch in this frosting and it is the perfect amount to make these amazing!
- Lightened-up and lower calories – less calories than your typical box brownies.
- Protein packed – one brownie packs 12g of protein!
- They are delicious! Dense, fudgy, brownie paired with creamy mint frosting and chocolate drizzle. I mean dang!
- You can feel good about eating them – not only are they out of-this-world delicious, but they are made with healthy ingredients so you can feel good about what you’re eating.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Black beans – these make the brownies dense and you do not taste them at all. If you do not have black beans, cannellini beans would also work.
- Cocoa Powder – I love Hershey’s dark.
- Pumpkin – I think these brownies taste best with pumpkin, but you could also use applesauce.
- Egg whites
- Almond milk – or any milk of choice
- Protein Powder – I used PEScience Mint Chocolate Cookie for the brownies and vanilla for the frosting, but any chocolate or vanilla flavor would work. If you use another brand, just make sure it is also a whey + casein blend. For all PEScience products, you can use code “LaurenFitFoodie” to save 10%.
- All-purpose flour – oat flour, whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour or almond flour would all work as a sub. Just note that subbing a different flour may change the nutrition for each brownie.
- Sweetener – I used Swerve granular sweetener.
- Cream cheese – I get fat-free cream cheese from Harris Teeter. Depending on where you are located, you may not be able to find fat free cream cheese frosting and that is okay. Reduced-fat cream cheese works the same and it would only increase the fat slightly. I have included the nutrition information for both!
- Peppermint extract – just a touch to give it a slight mint flavor! You can omit if you would like.
- Green food coloring – to make the brownies look good and minty!
HOW TO MAKE
HOW TO STORE
Keep brownies stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week. I use a baking pan that has a lid, like this one here. But wrapping with saran wrap or storing in a storage container works just as well.
MORE BROWNIE RECIPES
Looking for more tasty, gooey brownie recipes? I got you! Check out some of my other favorite brownie recipes:
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these Chocolate Mint Brownies and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
These brownies are the best macro friendly version I have tried to date! The black beans make the brownie DENSE, the way a brownie should be! Can’t taste the beans and the mint flavor is on point! Have been using these as a topping on my PEScience chocolate mint nightly fluff. Don’t forget to use LaurenFitFoodie for your discount!
Yay so happy to hear that!! I LOVE putting them on top of my fluff too!! The perfect night cap 🙂
This was the first recipe of yours that i made! I’ve always wanted to try black bean brownies but wasn’t sure how i would like the black beans. Anyways, took a leap of faith and made them and wow! They are thick and dense and fudgy. I prefer them cold but I’ve also had them hot! Next time i wanna add mint extract just so it’s a bit extra minty. The mint almond butter from all American butter would be amazing on these
Aw what an awesome first one to try!! I agree, I prefer them chilled as well! They taste more fudgier that way 😀 and yesss!! All American mint would be insane on these!!!!
I was pretty skeptical about a brownie made from black beans BUT these made my doubts vanish. I love the fudgy texture andmint taste, without even tasting or thinking theres beans in there. Kick ass recipe!
YES so glad you enjoyed them!!!
If you love mint and Oreo, you will love these. A must try and you’ll never be the same 😻
Truly I’m not the same since 😆
Having a vegan step sister I have tried a lot of meh black bean brownies but these were the bombbbbb! Also so glad you convinced me to try the mint PEScience protein, I got a 5-serving packet and immediately ordered the full size so I could make this on repeat
LOVE these brownies. This was my first of your recipes that I’ve tried and it did not disappoint! As a pastry chef I’m very hard to please when it comes to “healthier” desserts as they just can’t compare to the real thing and are rarely satisfying, but these are an exception! Will be making again, and now I’m looking forward to trying some of your other recipes as well!
I love mint. I need to make these for my family.
Terrific post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!
I made these yesterday as part of my family’s “festive” holiday baking. I added peppermint extract to the mix and frosting and topped with crushed candy canes. It was fantastic! Definitely try them out 🙂
I have made this and it’s so freaking good y’all!! Can’t wait to try more of your awesome recipes
i would love these brownies even if they weren’t so macro friendly! i have a batch made at all times in my fridge! the texture is dense and fudgy and you can’t taste the black beans at all! i’ve been making them with black cocoa powder and it is delicious!
Best dance shoes you will get here! https://bestplay88.com
Hi there love mint so I hope i can do your recipe use good use your one thanks for sharing your recipe please have a great day thanks
I only buy/ have vanilla protein powder. If I want chocolate or pb I add those ingredients to my vanilla. That being said, woukd I still add my vanilla protein powder for the brownie base but double the amount of cocoa?
I have vegan cream cheese too that I will use instead of dairy.( my husband can’t do dairy). Can’t wait to make these!
Totally understand on the protein powder! You really don’t need to add any extra cocoa powder to these since we’re already using a good amount already. I usually make these with vanilla protein powder too! They should be great with the dairy-free cream cheese. Hope y’all enjoy them!