The best ever low-carb zucchini oats! These oats are voluminous and packed with fiber and protein to fill you up and leave you satisfied all morning long. They are creamy and out of this world tasty! They will quickly become a breakfast favorite!
I had to title these zucchini oats the best ever, because seriously you guys, they are the best ever! I do not say that lightly. I am literally obsessed with these and cannot tell you how many times I have made them now. I go through phases for what I want for breakfast (current favorite is the Jammin’ Crunch Wrap), but I have made these oats on and off for 5 years now! So we must be looking at at least 500+ times. 😂
The funny thing is that I still make these zucchini oats the same way I did 5 years ago. Same ingredients. Same amounts. Same protein powder. Same everything! There is not a thing I want to change about them. They are perfect and amazing and tasty in every single way!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE ZUCCHINI OATS
Besides the fact that these oats are absolutely cozy and delicious, there are so many reasons why I love them and keep going back to them!
- They are one of the best volume meals. Both the zucchini and the egg whites really expand the volume of these oats making the serving size HUGE. It takes me a solid 30 minutes to eat them!
- They will fill you up. Again, the zucchini and egg whites work wonders here to add volume and fill you up. That, along with the protein from the egg whites + protein powder and fiber from the oats and zucchini. You don’t have to worry about those mid-morning stomach growls!
- You can’t taste the zucchini one bit. While these oats are far from pretty and you can still see the zucchini, they blend amazingly with the oats texture wise and you do not taste them in this recipe.
- The macros are amazing! They are low-calorie, low-carb, low-fat, high protein, again for a HUGE serving here! They are dieter’s dream!
- They can quickly be made in the microwave. Trust me, if these oats were hard to make or super time consuming, I would not have made them so many times. I don’t have that much patience! 😂
- They are so versatile! Change up the spices and protein powder and you have a new flavor oats!
- Have I mentioned they are delicious?? I mean SO DANG CREAMY.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Quick oats
- Grated Zucchini
- Egg whites
- Protein powder – My go-to is PEScience protein powder, particularly their peanut butter cookie flavor! It mixes well and tastes amazing. (You can save 10% on PEScience products with my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie)
- Almond milk or other milk of choice
WHAT TO TOP WITH
Ok you can totally eat these oats on their own and they will be amazing. But they are so much more amazing with some toppings. Have fun with these! Here are some of my favorite ways to top these oats:
- Nut butter – no doubt my favorite topping by far!!! Nothing compares. I love using American Dream Nut Butter and switching up the flavors! (You can save 10% on American Dream Nut Butter products with my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie)
- Pancake syrup – any will do! It may sound weird, but trust me here! So good. I love using Walden Farm’s Zero Calorie Pancake Syrup and Blueberry Syrup
- Fruit – so many options here. Top with what sounds good! My favorite is Wymann’s frozen Wild Maine Blueberries!
- Black cocoa – sounds weird, but you just need to half mix in with the oats and we’re talking majorrr cookies and cream vibes
- Powdered PB – same idea as the black cocoa, just partially mix in. I can’t even explain the amazing texture it brings!
- Chocolate chips or candy -Reese’s, butterfinger, M&M’s, peanut butter chips, chocolate chips. AGAIN, THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
THE FLAVOR POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
One of the best parts of these oats is that they are so versatile! You can easily switch up the flavor combos to create a totally different flavor profile. You will never get bored! Here are some of my favorites I’ve tried:
- Peanut Butter Cookie: PEScience Peanut Butter Cookie + butter extract (MY FAVORITE!)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Oats: PEScience Strawberry Cheesecake protein powder + butter extract
- Birthday Cake Oats: PEScience Cake Pop protein powder + cake batter extract
- Strawberries & Cream Oats: PEScience or Vanilla or Strawberry Cheesecake protein powder + strawberry extract
- Banana Nut Bread: PEScience Vanilla + banana and butter extract
- Peanut Butter Chocolate: PEScience Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup + chocolate or butter extract
NEED MORE OR LESS CARBS/PROTEIN/FAT?
Like I said, these oats are so versatile and modifiable! Besides all the different flavor combos that you make, you can easily modify to more easily hit your macro targets and nutrition goals.
For more protein: add more egg whites and/or add more protein powder
For less protein: add less protein powder or omit all together
For more carbs: add more oats or get creative with topping ideas above!
For more fat: add more nut butter on top!
HOW TO PREVENT CLUMPS
If you don’t stir in the egg whites well enough, they can create clumps in the oatmeal. I always use a mini whisk to stir the egg whites in (like this one), so I never have any problems with clumps. But occasionally I will have someone come to me saying they are clumpy. You just have to mix the egg whites in well and there won’t be any!
CAN I MAKE IN ADVANCE?
Yes! I used to do this all the time when I was in school and working. Just make like usual, add to a storage container and put in the fridge! You can eat cold or reheat in the microwave. You can also meal prep in bulk to easily grab during the week. They will last stored in the fridge for 5-7 days.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these zucchini oats and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
This is so delicious. So glad I tried it!!!
Do you have to take the green skin off the Zucchini before grating them? Also does the zucchini like, melt, into the Oats? I don’t like clumpy bits in my porridge/oatmeal.
You don’t have to no, just a personal preference 🙂 it doesn’t melt, but it does blend in well. Like you forreal don’t taste the zucchini at all!
Can I add cauliflower rice to it? When would you add it and how much?
Hi Ewelina! You mean add cauliflower rice instead of the zucchini or in addition to it?
In addition for volume :), what do you think?
can i add more egg white for protein?