Low-fat SAVORY or SWEET waffles that are fluffy, delicious, and super easy to make! Less than 150 calories for two waffles and only 1g of fat. These waffles are about to be your new go-to!
This my go-to waffle recipe. It only requires 4 ingredients. Keeps and stores well for meal prep. Easy and quick to make. And SUPER MACRO FRIENDLY. I have each of these ingredients stocked at all times in my panty/fridge so it’s a perfect “go-to” meal idea when I don’t have anything else planned!
When it comes to texture, these waffles are identical to your normal waffle. They are light, fluffy, perfectly golden brown on the outside and soft as a bread-ey pillow in the middle.
And what I love even more about this recipe is that you can make it either SWEET or SAVORY. All you have to do is make one simple ingredient switch!
If the idea of a savory waffle sounds weird to you, just think of it like a biscuit or bread, but just with lower carbs and higher protein. Or kind of like chicken and waffles. They are a great alternative to bread for a sandwich and they make a KILLER breakfast sandwich.
- All-purpose flour – just normal white all-purpose will do. If you want, feel free to sub with almond, oat or whatever other flour. Just not more coconut flour 🙂
- Coconut flour – This flour has different absorbant properties than other flours and for that reason can not be subbed. It CAN, but you will likely need to double or triple the amount of the other flour to make up for the absorbent properties. 100% worth the investment if you don’t have already – I use this flour for so much! You can find at some grocery stores, but since I don’t always have luck, I order off Amazon. I use Viva Naturals or Anthony’s Coconut flour
- Egg white or egg beaters – It doesn’t really matter which! The egg beaters will change the color to a more golden as in the pictures above.
- Xanthan gum – there isn’t really a good sub for this one but you can make do if you don’t have it or it upsets your stomach. This is what makes and keeps the waffles THICK and FLUFFY. This Xanthum gum is also what I add to my protein fluff and protein milkshakes to get it thicker. I order this off Amazon too, always Bob’s Red Mill. If you need to sub, I would try baking powder, psyllium husk or corn starch.
HOW TO MAKE
- Mix dry ingredients: add the all-purpose flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, and seasoning/sweetener of choice. Whisk until there are no clumps.
- Add the egg whites: add the egg whites and whisk until ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Let batter sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Heat waffle iron: while batter is setting, heat waffle iron.
- Cook waffles: add waffle batter to waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the outside of the waffle is golden brown
- Make into a sandwich or top as desired!
- Waffle Maker of choice – you can use a Belgian Round Waffle Maker, Mini Waffle Maker, or 4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker.
- Mini whisks – just makes mixing the batter easier since there isn’t much. I love these Mini Whisks here. I use these whisks for just about all my recipes!
- Plastic 2-oz. containers – I love these small, 2-oz Disposable plastic containers to hold syrup, peanut butter powder, or any other condiment for meal prep if I am on the go.
TOPPING IDEAS + HOW TO EAT
- Pancake syrup
- Peanut butter or peanut butter powder (mixed with water)
- With fresh or frozen fruit
- Make into a breakfast sandwich!
- Eat open-faced with cream cheese and sugar free jam