Baked pumpkin donuts paired with rich chocolate frosting. These donuts have the perfect amount of sweetness without over doing it. Feel free to dress up with sprinkles for whatever holiday is around the corner!
Who doesn’t love a good donut recipe? And if you don’t, are you really human? 😂
Donuts are some of my FAVORITE treats to make. Maybe it’s because they are so quick to whip up and just about fail-proof. Maybe because they are the perfect size? Or maybe it’s just because donuts are just straight fun and DELISH. Regardless, it’s always a good day when donut pan comes out.
It amazes me that these donuts are so low in calories because they are huge and seriously drool worthy. They have the most perfect moist cake-like texture with just the right amount of sweetness and spice. And the rich chocolate frosting is like the icing on top of the cake! Or frosting on the donut, in this case 😉 But I’ll stop my bad humor while I’m ahead. In all seriousness though, the richness of the frosting balances out the more neutral-flavored donuts absolutely perfectly.
- Protein powder – I used PEScience Snickerdoodle protein powder for this recipe. PEScience is my tried and true! Quality ingredients, amazing flavor, and always bakes SO DANG WELL. I will never look elsewhere. If you need to sub, I would make sure to do so with a similar whey + casein blend. For all PEScience products, you can use my affiliate code LaurenFitFoodie to save 10%.
- Coconut flour
- Oat flour – you can replace with all-purpose, whole wheat or almond flour too. I just the love the flavor the oat flour brings!
- Canned pumpkin
- Egg whites
- Sweetener – I used Swerve.
- Baking essentials – baking powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt.
Why You’ll Love These Pumpkin Donuts
- Ridiculous easy to make – just throw ingredients into a bowl, mix, and bake!
- Makes a small batch (of 6) but can easily be doubled or triple.
- Low calorie, low carb, low fat 🙌🏼
- Packed with protein.
- FUN to make and super versatile if you want to switch up the frosting or sprinkles!
- Delicious plain, but awesome with frosting!
TIPS FOR BEST DONUTS
Make these donuts in advance so that you can eat them chilled the next day!
While they are amazing the day of, they are 10x better after refrigerating. This allows the flavors to come together and brings an amazing rich taste to the donuts!
I would also recommend putting them in the fridge for an hour or two before frosting. This helps in hardening the chocolate faster when the time comes for you to frost. It can take a little time for the chocolate to harden and make a “shell,” so what I like to do is chill the donuts first, then put the donuts in the freezer for just 5-10 minutes after adding the chocolate to go ahead and harden them; then I will store them in the fridge. It is a lot less messier this way!
MORE DONUT RECIPES
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try these pumpkin pie donuts and love them, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!