A lightened up version of the Make Ahead Freezer Breakfast Sandwich, these Jammin’ Egg White Delights are low in fat, freezer-friendly, delicious, SWEET and SAVORY. They make having a healthy and yummy breakfast quick and easy!
I truly can’t think of a better way to breakfast when you’re in a hurry than with a breakfast sandwich! Don’t get me wrong, I love my Zucchini Oats and Jammin’ Crunch Wrap to pieces, but they are a bit harder to eat on the go or when I’m in a rush. I haven’t had one of these breakfast sandwiches in a while since I have been working from home this year, but I used to make these all the time in college! I would make them the night before, put them in a ziplock bag, and then take them to class with my coffee in the morning. After all, who had time for a sit down breakfast in college?
We stopped at McDonald’s for breakfast on the road recently and I ended up getting an egg white delight. I had a pack of strawberry jam in my purse and put it on. It got me thinking about the egg white and jam sandwiches I used to make and take to class with me and how much I loved them. Even though I’m working from home now, there are still mornings where I need something quick and easy! And having these on hand (whether they are in the fridge or freezer) definitely make life a whole lot easier!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THESE
- Easy to make and you can easily double or triple the recipe
- Only 5 ingredients needed
- Makes for a quick grab-and-go breakfast and much more cost effective than fast food
- Low in fat and calories
- Fills you up
- Everyone loves a good sandwich!
- CHEESE AND JAM AND BREAD. Best combo ever. Hands down. Do I need to say more?
WHAT YOU NEED
- English muffins – any kind will do. If you are trying to keep calories in check, Thomas’ light english muffins are 100 calories and every bit of amazing.
- Egg whites
- Laughing cow cheese – lower in calories than cheese slices and a little goes a long ways
- Canadian bacon – ham, turkey, sausage, bacon will all work as well
- Sugar free strawberry jam – any flavor will do but strawberry is my fav!
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Cut English muffins in half.
- Spread cheese onto half of each muffin.
- Cook egg whites (and let cool), then add to muffin.
- Top with Canadian bacon (or bacon, sausage, whatever your heart desires)
- Top with other muffin half then wrap up each sandwich individually in wax paper, parchment paper, or tinfoil and store in a ziplock bag until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat, microwave, THEN add jam!
SO WAIT – WHEN DO I ADD THE JAM?
I have tried adding the jam in advance, and while you can totally do that, it does make things a bit messier when you go to reheat the sandwich. I have found that leaving it off when you prep the sandwiches and then just waiting to put the jam on after eating the sandwich up works best! If you plan to eat room temperature or don’t plan to heat up for long, going ahead and putting the jam on with everything else would work fine!
REFRIGERATE OR FREEZE
If you plan to eat some of the sandwiches you made in the coming week, they will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 7 days.
If you are making and want to freeze to have ready for a future date, make sure you wrap the sandwiches individually in wax paper, parchment paper or aluminum foil. Store in a freezer-safe ziplock bag and freeze up to 2 months.
HOW TO REHEAT
For best results, I would recommend thawing in the fridge the night before if frozen.
Remove wrap and wrap the sandwich in paper towel. Place in the microwave with a cup of water (this will prevent the bread from getting hard). Then microwave for a minute. Flip, and microwave another 30-40 seconds until or until the middle is warm.
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE A SILICONE MUFFIN PAN?
I got rid of my tin muffin pan a long time ago because it just does not compare to the silicone one. With the silicone, everything I make just slips right out and clean up is a BREEZE. With the tin, the food (whatever it is) does not want to slip out as easily and I find myself spending way too much unnecessary time scrubbing. If you a have a good tin pan, you can still use it, I would just spray vigorously with cooking spray! That, or you could line with muffin/cupcake liners.
OR, you could simply add all the egg whites to a bowl, whisk, and bake in a 9×9″ baking pan until they are done, then just cut into egg white squares instead.
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you try this Jammin’ egg white delight and love it, please rate this recipe!
You can also tag me on Instagram, @LaurenFitFoodie. It makes my day seeing your yummy recreations!
Holy moly!!!!! I LOVE sandwiches but this Jammin Egg White Delight just took it to a whole another level! The jam is so good on it!!