Sweet buttery and doughy chocolate chip cookie dough bars. Packed with protein and fiber, these bars make for the perfect pick-me-up or pre-workout snack. They are also great for dessert and satisfying your cookie cravings!
If the name doesn’t sound enticing enough, let me tell you more about these delicious chocolate chip cookie dough bars! For starters, they don’t taste healthy for a second. And after taking a bite, you will soon find that you are not missing Chips Ahoy AT ALL! The flavors are melt-in-your-mouth worthy – buttery, cakey, gooey cookie all in one, loaded with chocolatey chips in each bite. And the texture, oh the texture! Moist, dense, and just straight up perfection y’all. There are no words!
While you can easily use normal all-purpose flour and brands of jello pudding and chocolate chips that are not gluten-free, I wanted to share this gluten-free version for all my gluten-free friends out there. I have made them the “normal” way and the gluten-free way, and honestly I don’t taste a difference!
What You Need
- Garbanzo beans
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Light butter
- Vanilla extract
- Zero calorie granulated sweetener – I use Splenda granulated sweetener
- Sugar free jello pudding mix (7g) – I used Simply Delish vanilla (sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan)
- Gluten free flour (37g) – I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free baking flour
- Mini chocolate chips (42g) – I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
What to Eat With
There is no wrong answer here! These bars taste amazing on their own, so feel free to pack up on the go and eat like a protein bar. They also make as a great topping to yogurt bowls! Here are some other ideas:
- Crumbled on top of protein fluff or ice cream
- Paired with fruit and yogurt for a balanced snack/breakfast
- With cream cheese or nut butter on top (SO GOOD)
- On top of a yogurt bowl or jello yogurt bowl
How to Store
Once bars have cooled, place them in the refrigerator overnight. This will allow the flavors to come out more and bring about a more buttery flavor. The moisture also allows the bars to become more dense and gooey, like a doughy chocolate chip cookie!
Can You Freeze?
Yes! If you plan to freeze, let the bars cool, then cut into 8 bars. Wrap each bar individually in wax paper then place all the bars in a freezer-safe ziplock bag. The bars will stay good for 3-4 months.
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (mine was 235g once drained)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g)
- 1 tbsp light butter (14g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated zero calorie sweetener
- 1 tbsp sugar free jello pudding mix (7g) - I used Simply Delish vanilla
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour (37g) - I used Bob's Red Mill 1:1
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips (42g) - I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x9" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Rinse garbanzo beans and drain excess liquid. Add to a high-powered blender or food processor.
- Add all the other ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) and blend until smooth. Then remove blade, and stir in 2 tbsp of the chocolate chips.
- Add cookie dough batter to the pan and spread out evenly. Then, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp of chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Take out, let cool, then cover and let sit in fridge overnight.
MFP entry: Lauren Fit Foodie Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
These are best the next day after being kept in the fridge overnight! This allows them to chill and brings the buttery flavor out!
Keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To freeze: Go ahead and cut and wrap each bar individually in wax paper. If you are a macro tracker, you can go ahead and weight and write the grams of the bar on the wax paper with a sharpie. Place wrapped bars in freezer safe bag and store for up to 3 months.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 bar (51g)
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 3gSodium 46mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 6g